Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-30-2016, 07:34 PM   #1
Trifecta23

Drives: 2013 Dusk 2ss/RS conv.
Rust

Just thinking today that I haven't seen any gen 5's with rust. Maybe I'm wasting my time putting her away for the winter. Lol

jdm
Trifecta23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:03 PM   #2
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
The bodies may look good, but I'll guarantee there's plenty of rust underneath the car if they use salt on the roads. If you can afford to keep putting her up for the winter, do it. Winter driving also GREATLY increases your chances of being involved in a wreck.

I lived in Rock Island for a couple of winters and surely would not want to be driving my Camaro there during the winter.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:28 PM   #3
drew peacock
Banned

Drives: 2012 2SS INFERNO ORANGE
they rust underneath badly...seen a high milage dd 2010 here and was rotten.
if u intend to keep you car many years dont drive it in winter
drew peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:32 PM   #4
SnowyCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Chevy Equinox
Oil spray keeps the rust controlled. I sprayed my old 2010 1lt every year but it still had rust by 2015.

Problem areas of the body were inside the quarter panels on the flat sport where the bumper attaches to the quarter. Fenders where the bumper attached. And drain holes of doors.

If you dont have the splash guards then the front of the rockers and back of fenders.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:32 PM   #5
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
What is this winter you speak of?
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:36 PM   #6
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
I drove my 1990 Beretta for 14 years in Chicago winters and there was no more than some surface rust on the underside.

If GM could do that 25 years ago I don't know why they wouldn't do it today.
CamaroFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:52 PM   #7
Reaper85

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
I've used the electronic rust inhibitor for years. Never have rust problems. We get lots of snow here. Get it tested every year to make sure it's still functioning. Lifetime warranty against rust.
Reaper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:21 PM   #8
Metalxen

Drives: 2011 Black SS/RS M6
I bought an 05 grand am gt new and had urethane undercoat sprayed on and again five years later... not one spec of rust was on it and it sat outside 24/7/365 right up till I traded it 3 months ago when I bought the Camaro ( which also got sprayed). Now I have a garage to park in so I fully expect it to be rust free for a long time.
Metalxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:55 PM   #9
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
I bought my 2010 a few months ago and it had some big rust holes in the subframe. Thankfully the dealership cut it out and welded new metal in place but I had to be a pain in the ass to get it done.

Annnnnd, my front bumper crash bar has some pretty bad rust on it.

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:59 AM   #10
MPrento84

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
2010, from last winter in new england
Attached Images

MPrento84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:29 AM   #11
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPLPunk View Post
I bought my 2010 a few months ago and it had some big rust holes in the subframe. Thankfully the dealership cut it out and welded new metal in place but I had to be a pain in the ass to get it done.

Annnnnd, my front bumper crash bar has some pretty bad rust on it.
I would like to know the history of your Camaro. My '10 SS has been driven
in the rain and driven in the winter here in New England. There is no rust to
speak of anywhere on my car after 45,000 miles and 7 years.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:16 AM   #12
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
What is this winter you speak of?
Equal to one quarter of the four seasons, "winter" begins on 21 December 2016, even in California. It is governed (of course I mean "winter" in this instance by using the pronoun "it", not California; nobody seems to understand what governs California) by the tilt of the Earth on its axis and can be described in astronomical terms or meteorological terms in addition to merely citing dates on a calendar.

Is is a generally held misconception that "winter" is a Wampanoag word which means "land in which it snows". It actually means "season during which freeloading European visitors stole my salted cod".

Oddly, although in the State of California it snows every "winter" and last "winter" hundreds of thousands of people went to Squaw Valley, CA., one of the largest ski resorts in the USA, many folks from California claim to not know what "winter" or even "snow" is. Truly, California is a land of mystery.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:46 AM   #13
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
Equal to one quarter of the four seasons, "winter" begins on 21 December 2016, even in California. It is governed (of course I mean "winter" in this instance by using the pronoun "it", not California; nobody seems to understand what governs California) by the tilt of the Earth on its axis and can be described in astronomical terms or meteorological terms in addition to merely citing dates on a calendar.

Is is a generally held misconception that "winter" is a Wampanoag word which means "land in which it snows". It actually means "season during which freeloading European visitors stole my salted cod".

Oddly, although in the State of California it snows every "winter" and last "winter" hundreds of thousands of people went to Squaw Valley, CA., one of the largest ski resorts in the USA, many folks from California claim to not know what "winter" or even "snow" is. Truly, California is a land of mystery.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:57 AM   #14
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
last winter i was swimming at the beach in january.no road salt here...
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote