Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-16-2016, 07:24 PM   #57
rvadim76

Drives: SOLD: 2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS
OK, on my side I am stuck too.
Removed the belt but the noise is still there. The threshold (RPM when I start hearing the noise) went to upper RPM with belt removed though. Gonna spray some WD-40 on air conditioner pulley but need to buy some and I doubt it's going to help.
So barely the same symptoms and conditions as Uzisuicide
And as I might mentioned before, I changed the oil & filer, no metal shaving in it (which is a good news).

Waiting for an update..
rvadim76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:12 PM   #58
Uzisuicide

Drives: 2011 SS
An interesting item. If I'm driving continuously not stop and go I begin to hear the noise at oil temp 200 degrees once I've finally slowed down to around 2000rpm. The sound is not terribly loud at that point. However, If I just drive for a few blocks to drop my kid off at school, the sound comes back quickly and with the oil temp still very cool. At this point the sound is at it loudest. Which leads me to believe it may be something associated with exhaust as that heats up quickly around the engine compartment. As long as there is air flowing because of driving the car at a moderate to high speed, the sound is not there or is less pronounced.

I've spent time over and under the car trying to pin this down and the sound seems like it could be coming from a bunch of places which is frustrating. Again, car runs beautifully, it's just this sound. The car is important to me and when there's something wrong with it, it greatly diminishes the quality of my life which I'm sure most guys can understand. Will update as I find more.

Uzi
Uzisuicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:16 PM   #59
rvadim76

I feel your pain bro!
Yeah, same thing on my side, I feel extremely upset when I hear this noise.
Car runs great and I also believe it's somehow related with the exhaust (leak etc.) I recently changed the headers gasket, put back the OEM GM one and it seems to help with the leak but no impact on the noise. It's still there..

Cr*p I running out of ideas on what could it be.

Will keep in touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzisuicide View Post
An interesting item. If I'm driving continuously not stop and go I begin to hear the noise at oil temp 200 degrees once I've finally slowed down to around 2000rpm. The sound is not terribly loud at that point. However, If I just drive for a few blocks to drop my kid off at school, the sound comes back quickly and with the oil temp still very cool. At this point the sound is at it loudest. Which leads me to believe it may be something associated with exhaust as that heats up quickly around the engine compartment. As long as there is air flowing because of driving the car at a moderate to high speed, the sound is not there or is less pronounced.

I've spent time over and under the car trying to pin this down and the sound seems like it could be coming from a bunch of places which is frustrating. Again, car runs beautifully, it's just this sound. The car is important to me and when there's something wrong with it, it greatly diminishes the quality of my life which I'm sure most guys can understand. Will update as I find more.

Uzi
Old 10-19-2016, 07:08 PM   #60
Yknjack
Yknjack

Drives: 2014 Yellow RS Vert
I have been following with interest. I wonder if there is a heat shield warping with the heat and hitting the exhaust pipe. If you have headers it could also be one of the individual pipes as they get closer together before going into the collector. You might try wedging in something like a small screwdriver in here and there and see if you can change the sound at all.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Yknjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:22 PM   #61
rvadim76

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yknjack View Post
I have been following with interest. I wonder if there is a heat shield warping with the heat and hitting the exhaust pipe. If you have headers it could also be one of the individual pipes as they get closer together before going into the collector. You might try wedging in something like a small screwdriver in here and there and see if you can change the sound at all.

That was a good idea. But it didn't make any difference on my side. I put some headers wrap and know what? It started to smoke and smell very bad ) I was forced to stop the car and throw away the smoky wrap ))
I am not sure why I got that outcome, maybe I have some exhaust leak?
Please advice..

on a side note, I did another small test: I was unplugging the spark plug cables from the ignition coils, one by one and it looks like I got some difference when unplugged cyl # 1 ..when I put everything back I got P0300 code (misfire) and will be checking the coils tonight.

I am very skeptical regarding the coils, as it should not cause any noise. I suspect the lifter problem and will be checking on it tonight as well.

Ttyl
Old 10-21-2016, 03:38 PM   #62
Yknjack
Yknjack

I think the wrap has to hear cure. It will smoke and smell till hardened

Old 10-21-2016, 03:38 PM   #63
Yknjack
Yknjack

Heat cure

Old 10-21-2016, 03:39 PM   #64
rvadim76

Thumbs up

Quote:
Heat cure

Got ya, thanks a lot
Old 10-25-2016, 01:44 PM   #65
rvadim76

Tomorrow I am heading to the partner dealership for a second opinion.
To be updated upon the inspection completion.

Wish me a luck.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:10 PM   #66
Uzisuicide

I think you may be on to something. The noise on my SS starts when the exhaust warms up but oil temp is still quite cool. Rvadim76 the stealership thought the lifters and replaced them on mine. I've put the car on ice 'till I can get it to the stealership I bought it from to get another opinion. The first one only had one Camaro/Corvette guy. The one I'm taking it to next has 3. So between the three, somebody has got to come up with something. Good luck on your end. Keep us posted.

Quote:

Old 10-26-2016, 02:22 PM   #67
rvadim76

Thanks Uzisuicide (funny nickname),
I got a call from them earlier this morning and they put me on upcoming Friday morning.
I sent a video to their main technical guy and waiting for the preliminary feedback.

Either way I will post the news as soon as I get the car diagnosed
Old 10-30-2016, 11:33 PM   #68
Uzisuicide

Things have escalated today. Drove the car a bit last night and when I started it this morning the sound was very pronounced and immediate. My SS idles and sounds like a diesel. Service Stabilitrac message comes on as well as the service engine light. Finally the car knows it has problems. I cannot drive the SS although it will drive. I will have it towed to the stealership. OnStar reports codes U2100 and P0300 (exhaust). My extended warranty expires at 100k miles. I have 99840 miles on the car. Will update...

Uzi
Old 10-31-2016, 08:40 AM   #69
rvadim76

Omg..
My car is being examined at the dealership. No additional details yet.
P0300 seems to be mult.cylinders misfire while U2100 is CAN bus communication error. Could it be a pinched wire?
Old 10-31-2016, 08:42 AM   #70
rvadim76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzisuicide View Post
..My extended warranty expires at 100k miles. I have 99840 miles on the car. Will update...

Uzi
Best of luck bro.. IMO you are still covered

Tags
tapping noise; ls3; 2k rpm