Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-25-2017, 04:40 AM   #1
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
Stolen License Plates!!

Now that I've got your attention, do you want to slow down, or completely prevent this from happening?

I don't know how it is in everyone's area, but in my area, license plate theft is on the rise (again) and there is a cheap way to slow down the theft or completely prevent your plates from being stolen AND at the same time, make it easier for YOU to remove your plates at will (these are stainless steel and don't rust & freeze in place).

I was browsing the car-parts section of my local Wally World and discovered a set of "Anti-Theft License Plate Fasteners." Basically they are Hex-Head screws with the security post in the middle of the opening. So unless you have a hex-head wrench with the hole in the ends to mate up with the head of the screw, you ain't getting the plates off without major damage to the plates, not to mention the amount of wasted time trying to get the screws out ... crooks want fast & easy and these are anything but. Most license plate screws are flat-head, you can remove them with a coin, but not these. Phillip's head screws are a LITTLE safer, but a small enough flat screwdriver will still remove them. not these.

They cost me about $10 and took less than 10 minutes to change over on both my wife's Explorer and my Camaro. Not bad for a few bucks and a few minutes of your time to get some peace of mind.

Last edited by DonM; 03-25-2017 at 04:59 AM.
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:56 PM   #2
scandata

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS vert, Spring Green Edtn
Do all kits of this brand use the same hex key? It seems that if someone has one of these they will be able to use the hex key on any plate that uses this brand of theft-proof kit. But yes, it does add a level of security; it still greatly reduces the chance of someone stealing your plate over a car next to it that has standard screws.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/sigpic_zpsxmxmbipg.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 03:58 PM   #3
DonM
Camaro #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandata View Post
Do all kits of this brand use the same hex key? It seems that if someone has one of these they will be able to use the hex key on any plate that uses this brand of theft-proof kit. But yes, it does add a level of security; it still greatly reduces the chance of someone stealing your plate over a car next to it that has standard screws.
Yeah, I think so. I think the idea is to make it more difficult and hopefully the thief will move on.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:27 PM   #4
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
I would worry that if you use something like that, they would just rip the plate off damaging the bumper.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:44 AM   #5
DonM
Camaro #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
I would worry that if you use something like that, they would just rip the plate off damaging the bumper.
Have you ever tried to rip a plate off of a car? The plates bends and warps and the bumper stretches a bit, but doesn't give.

Two, it's very obvious what you're doing and it draws attention to you, which is what a thief does not want. IME, the thief will see the hex screws and move on ... (based on 26 + years of being an LEO).
Old 03-30-2017, 06:57 AM   #6
arod55
AROD55

Drives: 1955 Chevy Bel Air Hardtop
Can you sent me the company that makes them because we do not have Wally World in Cali unless you mean Walmart. Thanks
arod55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:02 AM   #7
DonM
Camaro #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by arod55 View Post
Can you sent me the company that makes them because we do not have Wally World in Cali unless you mean Walmart. Thanks
Yes, Walmart. I think places like Advance Auto and Auto Zone have them too.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:25 AM   #8
arod55
AROD55

Drives: 1955 Chevy Bel Air Hardtop
Thanks
arod55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:11 PM   #9
OlePhu
Oldskool

Drives: 2013 Camaro LS
So does Amazon
OlePhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:43 PM   #10
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Or you can take off one of your bolts, go to your local Lowes, Home Depot, or even your local mom and pop hardware store and buy the security bolts and tool for under half what you paid for that kit.

Also keep in mind, in any big box hardware store you can find the kits that contains all the hex head and torx head keys for security bolts and they are small enough to fit in your pocket.
Mr_Draco is online now   Reply With Quote