Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-04-2017, 06:20 PM   #15
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetal Speedster View Post
Mine squeaked pretty bad when I got my car last August. So much so that I got brand new front pads for the brembo's even though the old ones weren't bad yet. They still squeak pretty bad, it's annoying. Worse in the summer it seems. I'll be going with Hawk soon and getting R1 concepts slotted/drilled rotors. Hoping that makes a difference haha.
I would go slotted only. From what I have been told drilled will develop cracks easier if tracked.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:34 PM   #16
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Mine made so much noise it drove me nuts.Went to my local auto parts store and bought the replacements they carried. That was last spring ...zero noise. Much nicer to drive.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:40 AM   #17
Aug

Drives: 2014 2SS MT, Convertible
no squeaking with mine but had an ANNOYING rattle when going slow over small bumps in the road. I thought it was the front pads rattling, but replaced the rears first (just because) and problem gone. Of course it was the anti-rattle clips not anti-rattling, but figured replace everything since I had to take it all apart anyways.
Aug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:29 AM   #18
Caseyls3

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiowhiz View Post
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Ceramic Hawks fixed it for me. It was awful when I first bought the car.
+1 - I needed to replace the stock ones as the counterweights would not clear the valve stems on my new wheels. I picked up some Akebono replacements and they squeaked really bad. Picked up the Hawk Ceramics and installed them last week. So far no squeal.

2011 Camaro SS/RS Vert - Jewel Red Tintcoat, 6M, 231/247 Comp Cam, Kooks headers, Borla ATAK, ATI under drive pulley, Richmond 4.10s, LS9 clutch, Hurst shifter, BMR Springs
Caseyls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:30 AM   #19
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
There is a Chevy Service Bulletin for the SS Brembo Brakes:

Service Bulletin No.: PIC5590A

Date: April, 2013
PRELIMINARY INFORMATION
Subject: Normal Characteristic - Front Or Rear Brake Noise On Slow Stops
Models: 2010 - 2014 Chevrolet Camaro SS
Equipped with Brembo Brakes
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern
Some customers may comment that when they apply the brakes, the vehicle exhibits a squeal noise. This squeal
noise may be heard coming from the front or rear brakes and typically heard during slow stops. Replacing the pads
will only correct the concern for a short time until the pads glaze over again. Burnishing the pads will also provide
temporary relief. Pad replacement should only occur when normal wear conditions or physical damage require it.
Do not replace the pads for noise only concerns.
Recommendation/Instructions
Note: For all brake noise issues refer to the latest version of 00-05-22-002: Disc Brake Warranty Service and
Procedures.
Note: Reference the latest version of 10-05-23-002 for 2010 models that meet the list of applicable models/
breakpoints within that document.
Brake Noise
Some brake noise is normal and differences in loading, type of driving, or driving style can make a difference in
brake wear on the same make and model. Depending on weather conditions, driving patterns and the local
environment, brake noise may become more or less apparent. Verify all metal-to-metal contact areas between pads,
pad guides, caliper and knuckles are clean. Brake noise is caused by a “slip-stick” vibration of brake components.
While intermittent brake noise may be normal, performing 3 to 4 aggressive stops may temporarily reduce or
eliminate most brake squeal.

The following noises are characteristics of all braking systems and are unavoidable. They may not indicate improper
operation of the brake system.
Squeak/Squeal Noise:
• Occurs with front semi-metallic brake pads at medium speeds when light to medium pressure is applied to the
brake pedal.
• Occasionally a noise may occur on rear brakes during the first few stops or with cold brakes and/or high
humidity.
Grinding Noise:
• Common to rear brakes and some front disc brakes during initial stops after the vehicle has been parked
overnight.
• Caused by corrosion on the metal surfaces during vehicle non-use. Usually disappears after a few stops.
Groan Noise:
• A groan type noise may be heard when stopping quickly or moving forward slowly from a complete stop. This is
normal. On vehicles equipped with ABS, a groan or moan type noise during hard braking applications or loose
gravel, wet or icy road conditions is a normal function of the ABS activation.
Customer Information
Please communicate to the customer that these conditions are normal operating characteristics of their vehicle.
They will not impact the designed performance or reliability of the vehicle. Please share this information with the
customer, including a copy of this message.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is
resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
===
Ron
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:41 AM   #20
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
There is a Chevy Service Bulletin for the SS Brembo Brakes:

Service Bulletin No.: PIC5590A

Date: April, 2013
PRELIMINARY INFORMATION
Subject: Normal Characteristic - Front Or Rear Brake Noise On Slow Stops
Models: 2010 - 2014 Chevrolet Camaro SS
Equipped with Brembo Brakes
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern
Some customers may comment that when they apply the brakes, the vehicle exhibits a squeal noise. This squeal
noise may be heard coming from the front or rear brakes and typically heard during slow stops. Replacing the pads
will only correct the concern for a short time until the pads glaze over again. Burnishing the pads will also provide
temporary relief. Pad replacement should only occur when normal wear conditions or physical damage require it.
Do not replace the pads for noise only concerns.
Recommendation/Instructions
Note: For all brake noise issues refer to the latest version of 00-05-22-002: Disc Brake Warranty Service and
Procedures.
Note: Reference the latest version of 10-05-23-002 for 2010 models that meet the list of applicable models/
breakpoints within that document.
Brake Noise
Some brake noise is normal and differences in loading, type of driving, or driving style can make a difference in
brake wear on the same make and model. Depending on weather conditions, driving patterns and the local
environment, brake noise may become more or less apparent. Verify all metal-to-metal contact areas between pads,
pad guides, caliper and knuckles are clean. Brake noise is caused by a “slip-stick” vibration of brake components.
While intermittent brake noise may be normal, performing 3 to 4 aggressive stops may temporarily reduce or
eliminate most brake squeal.

The following noises are characteristics of all braking systems and are unavoidable. They may not indicate improper
operation of the brake system.
Squeak/Squeal Noise:
• Occurs with front semi-metallic brake pads at medium speeds when light to medium pressure is applied to the
brake pedal.
• Occasionally a noise may occur on rear brakes during the first few stops or with cold brakes and/or high
humidity.
Grinding Noise:
• Common to rear brakes and some front disc brakes during initial stops after the vehicle has been parked
overnight.
• Caused by corrosion on the metal surfaces during vehicle non-use. Usually disappears after a few stops.
Groan Noise:
• A groan type noise may be heard when stopping quickly or moving forward slowly from a complete stop. This is
normal. On vehicles equipped with ABS, a groan or moan type noise during hard braking applications or loose
gravel, wet or icy road conditions is a normal function of the ABS activation.
Customer Information
Please communicate to the customer that these conditions are normal operating characteristics of their vehicle.
They will not impact the designed performance or reliability of the vehicle. Please share this information with the
customer, including a copy of this message.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is
resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
===
Ron
This is the only vehicle ive ever owned where the brakes madec so much noise and were not worn out. And since ive replaced the brake pads i now have zero of the so called normal noises.....just like my other vehicles.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:21 PM   #21
FLcamaroSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
If this is your first time having Brembo brakes, start by making several hard stops to get the glaze off the pads. Then you will have to learn not to baby the brakes like normal brakes. If you brake lightly or ride the brakes at all, they will glaze over and start making noise again. Brake with a firm pedal...
ok, thanks for the info, i'll give that a try
FLcamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:24 PM   #22
FLcamaroSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
This is the only vehicle ive ever owned where the brakes madec so much noise and were not worn out. And since ive replaced the brake pads i now have zero of the so called normal noises.....just like my other vehicles.
great info! thanks
FLcamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:34 PM   #23
jc615
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro and Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
If this is your first time having Brembo brakes, start by making several hard stops to get the glaze off the pads. Then you will have to learn not to baby the brakes like normal brakes. If you brake lightly or ride the brakes at all, they will glaze over and start making noise again. Brake with a firm pedal...
Follow this advice
jc615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:41 PM   #24
audiowhiz

Drives: 2005 Corvette M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLcamaroSS View Post
ok, thanks for the info, i'll give that a try
Trust me. Go with the Hawks Ceramics and never look back. Awesome stopping power to boot.
audiowhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:57 PM   #25
SSteven

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
I went with hawk ceramics on my old SS and they squealed loudly. Tried various suggestions like Slingshot mentioned, but nothing helped. Ended up putting factory pads back on and squealing went away. Maybe I got a bad batch or my old ss had some other issue, but that was my experience.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Previous Camaro (sold 11/2015): 2012 2SS - Auto/RS/Black/Sunroof/MyLink Nav/SP 1 7/8" LT Headers w/HF Cats/Hybrid SW Retro Catback w/Borla Pro XS Mufflers/ADM Dyno Tune/C.A.I. CAI/Vmax Spiral Ported Throttle Body/APEX Catch Can/275x4 Squared Wheel Setup/Custom Fit Full Size Spare/Ceramic Tint
Replaced with 2013 Black Dodge Charger SRT8
SSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:51 PM   #26
Mando2776

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseyls3 View Post
+1 - I needed to replace the stock ones as the counterweights would not clear the valve stems on my new wheels. I picked up some Akebono replacements and they squeaked really bad. Picked up the Hawk Ceramics and installed them last week. So far no squeal.
+2 Stock brembos were screeching bad, switched to r1 concept slotted drilled rotors and Akebono ceramics. They were screeching even worse as soon as i drove off. Swapped the fronts with hawk ceramics! ZERO noise after that. kept akebono on rears. End of story
Mando2776 is offline   Reply With Quote