Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 04-27-2017, 02:11 PM   #1
Ponchonutty

Drives: 2012 SS L99 Converible
dash light strip that matches door blue ABL

What are people using now that aftermarket stuff has been out there for a while? Been looking around on here and I guess I am dumb because searching on here is a real pain because it brings up all kinds of crap that isn't even close to what I need.
Ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:19 PM   #2
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th edition
Best way to search here is go to google type your question and put camaro5 at the end of it. it will bring up relevant threads.
heres one
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181339
GVA 45TH 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:17 AM   #3
SnowyCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Chevy Equinox
Honestly the ice blue leds on eBay are super close. Had good luck with the cheapo ones out of china.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2017, 03:21 PM   #4
Ponchonutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVA 45TH 2SS View Post
Best way to search here is go to google type your question and put camaro5 at the end of it. it will bring up relevant threads.
heres one
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181339
I've already seen this thread. I've inquired about it but have not heard anything. Their website is down until May 5th too
Old 05-15-2017, 07:14 AM   #5
sjmautoprod

Drives: '16 2SS
Sorry for the delay. I've not seen any questions come in. Maybe try again?
sjmautoprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:28 PM   #6
Ponchonutty

I ended up getting what I needed. Thanks
Old 05-17-2017, 07:09 AM   #7
Arogg
A legend in his own mind

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponchonutty View Post
I ended up getting what I needed. Thanks
What did u come up with? Id like to add this to my '10 SS to match my doors.

-Arogg

Color matched OEM GFX / VIS Carbon Fiber Hood (absolute trash quality and customer service ) / Heritage Grille / 5% Windows / 30% Windshield tint with 5% visor strip / Tinted Exterior Lights / Streetfighter LA Spoiler / Morimoto XB LED fogs / LED sidemarkers / Airaid CAI / Hurst Short Throw / TSP LT's / No cats / No resonator / Corsa Xtreme Catback / Trifecta Tune / Factory amp replaced / 2 JL Audio 12's in the trunk / MRR 228 Wheels / BMR Springs / Moog Endlinks / R1 Concepts Rotors & Pads
Arogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:48 AM   #8
Junior

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS A6 AGM
Send a message via Skype™ to Junior
I'd like to know too. On my 2010, I used the original "sand and EL wire" method. It looked good, as the light shined through the dash panels perfectly (with a lot of very careful sanding). But the light emitted from the EL wire isn't as solid and consistent as LED. There were times when you could see the light fluctuate in intensity. It was a super cheap method though. Just took a lot of time to sand. Now with light pipes available, I'd like to try this again on my 2014, but I'm not fond of the latest suggested method of using weather stripping to hold the panel off the dash a bit so the light shines through the gap. IMO it looks terrible in the daylight, as you can see through the gap and it looks like poorly engineered fit and finish. I'm just wondering if I sand the dash panel and use the light pipes, if the brightness will match the door panels. I'm also thinking about modifying the door panels to light up all the way to where it meets the dash. Has anyone tried the sand and light pipe method?
Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:00 PM   #9
Ponchonutty

I got some of the light pipes off a member on here and got the LEDs from the dealer. I will have to have it wedged in between the trim and dash because my trim is painted with painted logo on it.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:39 PM   #10
sjmautoprod

Drives: '16 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
I'd like to know too. On my 2010, I used the original "sand and EL wire" method. It looked good, as the light shined through the dash panels perfectly (with a lot of very careful sanding). But the light emitted from the EL wire isn't as solid and consistent as LED. There were times when you could see the light fluctuate in intensity. It was a super cheap method though. Just took a lot of time to sand. Now with light pipes available, I'd like to try this again on my 2014, but I'm not fond of the latest suggested method of using weather stripping to hold the panel off the dash a bit so the light shines through the gap. IMO it looks terrible in the daylight, as you can see through the gap and it looks like poorly engineered fit and finish. I'm just wondering if I sand the dash panel and use the light pipes, if the brightness will match the door panels. I'm also thinking about modifying the door panels to light up all the way to where it meets the dash. Has anyone tried the sand and light pipe method?
Pretty sure people have done that on the dash.

The doors for sure. I even have pics.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
sjmautoprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:59 PM   #11
Junior

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS A6 AGM
Send a message via Skype™ to Junior
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmautoprod View Post
Pretty sure people have done that on the dash.

The doors for sure. I even have pics.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Yup, I've done it on the dash. It looks great if done properly, but it takes a lot of time patience. I'm probably going to do it if I can vet the outcome with light pipes.
Junior is offline   Reply With Quote