Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 05-16-2017, 09:34 AM   #1
Dbunch9

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Question before I install my zl1 shifter

I ordered a ZL1 shifter assembly and plan on installing it tomorrow. I've read a lot of posts about people putting the zl1 shifter in the SS and when they take the SS shifter out, the only difference seems to be the shifter stick itself and the boot around the shift stick, the linkage and aluminum housing look identical. To cut down install time, could I keep the old linkage and piece that mounts to the transmission and only slide in the aluminum housing that has the new stick and boot?
Dbunch9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:49 AM   #2
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Yes - the difference is the stick, the aluminum housing is the same. Couldn't be happier with an OE shifter after getting rid of the Hurst Billet Plus 2.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:56 AM   #3
Dbunch9

Yeah the assembly came 100% put together and after doing the bushings on the Hurst, I know there's no way in hell I'll fit the whole assembly into place. If I'm already gonna be taking it apart why replace the same parts lol I'll probably just slide zl1 stick up and put the boot that came with the assembly in and call it a day
Old 05-16-2017, 09:59 AM   #4
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbunch9 View Post
Yeah the assembly came 100% put together and after doing the bushings on the Hurst, I know there's no way in hell I'll fit the whole assembly into place. If I'm already gonna be taking it apart why replace the same parts lol I'll probably just slide zl1 stick up and put the boot that came with the assembly in and call it a day
Let me know how your Hurst comes out - mine was INSANE. It was REALLY stuck up in there. Used a block of wood between the driveshaft and main housing to take the shock out of the bushings, and then had to do some hammering. It was gross. So glad we stuck with it and got it out - I'm still loving the stock SS shifter.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:05 AM   #5
Dbunch9

Damn lol I'm sitting at home thinking about throwing it in now before I go to work at 3 but I don't wanna take too long if the old one is a bitch to get out
Old 05-16-2017, 11:35 AM   #6
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Damn lol I'm sitting at home thinking about throwing it in now before I go to work at 3 but I don't wanna take too long if the old one is a bitch to get out
Yours may be fine - it really doesn't take that long to pop the pin and mounting screws out. If it won't drop out, then bolt it up and try again when you have more time to be persuasive.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:49 PM   #7
Dbunch9

Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
Yours may be fine - it really doesn't take that long to pop the pin and mounting screws out. If it won't drop out, then bolt it up and try again when you have more time to be persuasive.
Just tried, was under the assumption the two screws would be 10mm like the ones that came with my zl1 shifter but they're a hex screw and I didn't have a bit to reach all the way up to the shifter. Put it all back together and ran to Lowe's to grab what I need and I'll just finish it tomorrow 👍appreciate the help
Old 05-16-2017, 02:05 PM   #8
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Just tried, was under the assumption the two screws would be 10mm like the ones that came with my zl1 shifter but they're a hex screw and I didn't have a bit to reach all the way up to the shifter. Put it all back together and ran to Lowe's to grab what I need and I'll just finish it tomorrow 👍appreciate the help
If you don't have one already a "wobble" extension can be very useful in getting the angles for that hardware where you cannot get straight on to it.