Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 06-14-2017, 02:29 PM   #1
Earnhardtfan77

Drives: Summit White 2012 1LT/RS
Pulled a P0016 and a P0017 code What is this?

Noticed on my way to work this morning the engine light was on so i pulled over and ran the codes and got P0016 and P0017, car only has 47k... the car didn't lose any power or stutter or anything, so i did a little googeling and found out that this could be timing chain related, i also have a throttle controller installed, do you think this could have anything to do with it, ive had it installed for at least a year has anyone else had these codes pop up and if so how were you able to get it taken care of

Also my 5 year warranty just expired last week on the 5th, wondering if i can still get them to honor the warranty if it ends up being a timing chain

Update#1: Timing chain replaced, still getting the codes, replaced throttle body, crankshaft sensor, spark plugs, and Engine Temp Sensor, still no change

Update#2: Car is back in the shop due to the codes returning after the timing chain replacement, after the timing chain replacement and before the car has had a surging idle when i start it up, goes from 1200-600-1200-600 etc etc for about 10-15 seconds then smooths out, mechanic is now looking at it possibly being the reluctor plate

Update#3: Mechanic found the reluctor wheel has shifted 2 1/2 teeth and thats causing my idle surges and issues. in order to fix the problem the engine has to be pulled from the car and a new crankshaft has to be installed. Not to happy with this car at the moment

Update#4: after a little over a week of the car in the shop the crankshaft has been replaced, problem has been solved.. the reluctor wheel skipped 2 1/2 teeth
Cold Air Inductions CAI, VMaxx ported throttle body, RX catch can, Led Interior Lights, Led License plate lights, Hood Spears, Blacked Out Rear Trunk panel, Gills, Blacked Out Front Fascia, and Bow tie

Last edited by Earnhardtfan77; 08-16-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Earnhardtfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:40 PM   #2
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
I would put money on the throttle controller. I would recalibrate it at the very least or remove it temporarily to see. I've certainly seen a lot of issues caused by them on here.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:47 PM   #3
Earnhardtfan77

i went out a little bit ago and removed it, ill drive it home without the throttle controller to see if it throws another code.. if it does end up being that i wonder why it took a year for it to start messing around...Maybe Wear?
Cold Air Inductions CAI, VMaxx ported throttle body, RX catch can, Led Interior Lights, Led License plate lights, Hood Spears, Blacked Out Rear Trunk panel, Gills, Blacked Out Front Fascia, and Bow tie
Old 06-17-2017, 10:21 AM   #4
Earnhardtfan77

So after doing a remote start again last night the car has what I would call a surging start up. The rpms are going to about 1200 then to 5-400 for about 30 seconds up and down up and down.. not a steady idle on startup like before, and the 2 codes returned. The p0016 and p0017. I'm starting to fear that the chain is stretched.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:48 PM   #5
Earnhardtfan77

So the dealer is telling me they can't do anything to the car because the ported throttle body and the aftermarket exhaust system. So I'm going to have to find a special shop that will look at it to figure out what's going on
Old 06-28-2017, 03:26 PM   #6
daveyio87

Drives: 2010 SSRS
Looks like you will need new chains... Gm kit number should be 12651450.
It is very unlikely that the reluctor wheel on the crankshaft has rotated causing your codes. It is possible but unlikely.
daveyio87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:31 PM   #7
Earnhardtfan77

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyio87 View Post
Looks like you will need new chains... Gm kit number should be 12651450.
It is very unlikely that the reluctor wheel on the crankshaft has rotated causing your codes. It is possible but unlikely.
Do you think there is any chance that the camshaft sensor or crankshaft sensor has failed
Old 06-28-2017, 03:36 PM   #8
daveyio87

This is what it says for GM service info. Money is on stretched chains...

DTC P0016
Crankshaft Position – Intake Camshaft Position Not Plausible Bank 1

DTC P0017
Crankshaft Position – Exhaust Camshaft Position Not Plausible Bank 1

DTC P0018
Crankshaft Position – Intake Camshaft Position Not Plausible Bank 2

DTC P0019
Crankshaft Position – Exhaust Camshaft Position Not Plausible Bank 2

Circuit/System Description
The engine control module (ECM) uses the crankshaft position sensor and the camshaft position sensor pulses to monitor the correlation between the crankshaft and the camshaft position.

Conditions for Running the DTC
DTC P0335, P0336, P0340, P0341, P0345, P0346, P0365, P0366, P0390, P0391, P0641, or P0642 is not set.
The crankshaft and camshaft position signals are synchronized.
The engine is cranking or running.
The camshaft position actuator is in the parked position.
The DTCs run continuously when the above conditions are met.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
DTC P0016, P0017, P0018, or P0019
The ECM detects that one camshaft is mis-aligned with the crankshaft. The ECM detects one of the following conditions:
Bank 1 intake camshaft is greater than 9° advanced or 12° retarded in relationship to the crankshaft.
Bank 1 exhaust camshaft is greater than 10° advanced or 13° retarded in relationship to the crankshaft.
Bank 2 intake camshaft is greater than 11° advanced or 13° retarded in relationship to the crankshaft.
Bank 2 exhaust camshaft is greater than 9° advanced or 13° retarded in relationship to the crankshaft.
The ECM detects that all 4 camshafts are mis-aligned with the crankshaft. The ECM detects the following conditions:
Bank 1 intake camshaft is greater than 9° advanced or 12° retarded in relationship to the crankshaft.
Bank 1 exhaust camshaft is greater than 10° advanced or 13° retarded in relationship to the crankshaft.
Bank 2 intake camshaft is greater than 6° advanced or 9° retarded in relationship to the crankshaft.
Bank 2 exhaust camshaft is greater than 7° advanced or 9° retarded in relationship to the crankshaft.
Action Taken When the DTC Sets
DTCs P0016, P0017, P0018, and P0019 are type B DTCs.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC
DTCs P0016, P0017, P0018, and P0019 are type B DTCs.

Diagnostic Aids
Inspect the engine for any recent engine mechanical repairs. An incorrectly installed secondary timing chain can cause this DTC to set.
This diagnostic algorithm is designed to detect an alignment condition between a primary intermediate sprocket and the secondary timing chain or the alignment between a primary intermediate sprocket and the crankshaft. Either condition would cause the camshaft timing for both cams on one bank to be off an equal number of degrees.
DTCs P0016, P0017, P0018, and P0019 set at the same time indicate a possible condition with the primary timing chain and the alignment between both intermediate sprockets and the crankshaft. Also, the crankshaft reluctor wheel may have moved and is no longer referenced to top dead center (TDC).
Observing the desired and actual camshaft angle parameters with a scan tool before a DTC sets may help to isolate whether a condition is specific to one camshaft, one bank, or caused by a condition with the primary crankshaft timing.
Reference Information
Description and Operation
Camshaft Actuator System Description

DTC Type Reference
Powertrain Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Type Definitions

Scan Tool Reference
Control Module References for scan tool information

Circuit/System Verification
Ignition ON.
Verify DTC P0010, P0013, P0020, P0023, P0335, P0336, P0340, P0341, P0345, P0346, P0365, P0366, P0390, P0391, P2088, P2089, P2090, P2091, P2092, P2093, P2094, 20095 or P25CA-P25CE is not set.
If any of the DTCs are set
Refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle.
If none of the DTCs are set
Verify the conditions below do not exist:
A Q6 Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve that is stuck in the full advance or retard position
The correct installation of the Q6 Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valves
The correct installation of the B23 Camshaft Position Sensors
The correct installation of the B26 Crankshaft Position Sensor
A timing chain tensioner condition
An incorrectly installed timing chain
Excessive play in the timing chain
A timing chain that jumped teeth
A crankshaft reluctor wheel that has moved in relationship to top dead center (TDC) on the crankshaft
If a condition is found
Repair as necessary.
If no condition is found
Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data.
Verify the DTC does not set.
If the DTC sets
A mechanical condition listed above still exists.
If the DTC does not set
All OK.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:00 PM   #9
Earnhardtfan77

its crazy that a car with only 47k on it can have a timing chain issue, its weird because the car runs perfectly fine..there is no loss in power and a steady idle once its warmed up, the only odd thing thats happening is a surging idle at startup, goes from like 9-1000 rpm to 4-500 rpm for like 15-30 seconds and them smooths out
Old 06-29-2017, 08:09 AM   #10
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnhardtfan77 View Post
its crazy that a car with only 47k on it can have a timing chain issue, its weird because the car runs perfectly fine..there is no loss in power and a steady idle once its warmed up, the only odd thing thats happening is a surging idle at startup, goes from like 9-1000 rpm to 4-500 rpm for like 15-30 seconds and them smooths out
The chain tensioner possibly broke, and possibly damaged the sensor.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:36 AM   #11
Earnhardtfan77

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
The chain tensioner possibly broke, and possibly damaged the sensor.
i was thinking that if something was going on with the chain wouldn't it be making some crazy clinging noises in the motor, and wouldnt the car be acting up all the time no matter if its just on the initial startup or running
Old 06-30-2017, 09:27 AM   #12
daveyio87

If there was an issue with the crank sensor there would likely codes for both banks, Bank 1 is out of time. you can swap the cam sensors to bank 2 but the codes will return for bank 1. The chain does't need to be noisy to be stretched. I've fixed several Colorados with a P0017 and the chain was quiet, car drove fine but it had a check engine light. Found the chain to be stretched half a link... I know that is an entirely different engine but i'm thinking this is the case for yours. It was a very common issue on the 3.6 engines up to the 2012 year...
Old 07-26-2017, 12:51 AM   #13
Earnhardtfan77

So I had the chains replaced. And after about 200 or so miles of driving the codes have returned
Old 08-04-2017, 12:23 PM   #14
Earnhardtfan77

Mechanic found the reluctor wheel has shifted 2 1/2 teeth and thats causing my idle surges and issues. in order to fix the problem the engine has to be pulled from the car and a new crankshaft has to be installed. Not to happy with this car at the moment