Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 06-21-2017, 03:49 PM   #1
Extreme Dimensions

Drives: 2016 1ss Camaro
Why You Shouldn't Run Your Car Low On Gas

Sometimes it’s tempting to try to eke out as many miles from your tank of gas as possible. But you shouldn’t do it. This video showing the innards of a fuel pump will help you understand why.

Your car’s fuel pump sends gasoline from the tank to the engine. It’s a crucial component in getting your car running, but it has a tendency to fail and leave you stuck on the side of the highway—especially if you like to run your car low on gas.

You can see why running a car low on gas might cause problems by looking at YouTuber speedcar99's tear-down of a fuel pump module:

you can see the video and read the rest of the article here!

http://jalopnik.com/why-you-shouldnt...gas-1796273605
1-714-278-8000 EXT 17
andrew.bettridge@extremedimensions.com
Extreme Dimensions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:35 PM   #2
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Shouldn't this be titled, "Don't run your B-52 bomber run low on fuel over Africa?"

Is James Stewart tapping on the fuel gauge?
Old 06-21-2017, 04:37 PM   #3
Extreme Dimensions

Drives: 2016 1ss Camaro
haha i barely got that reference and this is mostly for older vehicles but also new ones as well
1-714-278-8000 EXT 17
andrew.bettridge@extremedimensions.com
Extreme Dimensions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:06 PM   #4
SharpOldNo7

Drives: 2015 2LT RS Convertible
I've got a 1993 F150 with Dual tanks. Front tank runs until it stutters then switch to rear tank and go on. Been doing it 24 years and still have the original pumps. 200K plus on the clock.
SharpOldNo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:25 PM   #5
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpOldNo7 View Post
I've got a 1993 F150 with Dual tanks. Front tank runs until it stutters then switch to rear tank and go on. Been doing it 24 years and still have the original pumps. 200K plus on the clock.
That's because its an urban legend... Pumps either at the bottom or drawing from the bottom, so any "sediment" is getting pulled at start up anyways. I've yet to see sediment in a modern plastic tank though. Unless your filling from jugs you gas is filtered, so where is this "sediment" coming from? Pump is cooled by gas going through it as well, so even that's bunk. Fuel pumps go bad sure, but not for either of the two reasons given. My 2 cents....

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:39 AM   #6
RACERJOE1

Drives: 2014 2SS
I never run either if my vehicles below 1/4 tank knowing that fuel is what cools the pump motor, without enough fuel surround it, it will overheat and fail eventually.
RACERJOE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:12 PM   #7
sspade

Drives: 2015 Camaro LFX A6
I consistently fill my tank to the brim with 93 and drain it until the fuel mileage reads "Low Range"
Cold Air Inductions CAI : Apex Air Scoop / WW Relocate Kit : JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer : Overkill 80mm Throttle Body : Overkill Tuned : MagnaFlow Cat-Back Exhaust : Elite Engineering Catch Can : ZL1 Strut Tower Brace : Custom Tunnel Brace : JPSS Caster Locks : JPSS 32mm Rear Sway Bar : JPSS Billet Radius Arm Bushings : Pegasus Solid Sub Frame Bushings : 1LE Brembo Conversion : B&M 70273 Trans Cooler
sspade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:44 PM   #8
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
I consistently fill my tank to the brim with 93 and drain it until the fuel mileage reads "Low Range"
You still have a few gallons left even on low range.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 06:49 AM   #9
sspade

Drives: 2015 Camaro LFX A6
Figured... that's why I believe its still safe to "run the tank to empty" since its not truly empty. I think the most I can recall adding at a fill up was about 17 gallons. And I believe we have 19 gallon tanks...
Cold Air Inductions CAI : Apex Air Scoop / WW Relocate Kit : JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer : Overkill 80mm Throttle Body : Overkill Tuned : MagnaFlow Cat-Back Exhaust : Elite Engineering Catch Can : ZL1 Strut Tower Brace : Custom Tunnel Brace : JPSS Caster Locks : JPSS 32mm Rear Sway Bar : JPSS Billet Radius Arm Bushings : Pegasus Solid Sub Frame Bushings : 1LE Brembo Conversion : B&M 70273 Trans Cooler
sspade is offline   Reply With Quote