Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-22-2017, 02:47 AM   #1
1LeSS

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS VR 1LE
ZL1 Differential Service

I've ordered and am installing a ZL1 read diff and axles in my SS 1LE. Too much power out the front ate the little guy that was in the rear before.

What I am wondering from all you ZL1 owners is the correct diff oil being used and whether you need to add a limited slip additive to the diff. This was a quick forced decision I made to go with the ZL1 diff so need some info on it ASAP. Cant trust the dealer because they don't sell ZL1's.

I'm assuming that it is just a bigger ring and pinion and still the GM limited slip type of rear end? I needed strength ASAP so went this route.

Thanks
BC Racing coil-overs, 32ml rear sway bar, Solid cradle bushing kit, Steel jacket radius rod bushes, JPSS caster bolt, Bo White TB, Granitelli HP coils, Apex Catchcan, Vortech V7 Ysi Supercharger, LSX B-15 engine, custom spec cam, and other stuff.
1LeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 04:32 AM   #2
NZZL1

Drives: 2013 BRM ZL1 Camaro M6
The standard spec ACDelco 10-4034 Dexron LS 75W-90 Gear Oil contains the friction modifier. The ZL1 diff is completely different from an SS, massive Dana unit, heat exchanger, etc.
NZZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:17 PM   #3
1LeSS

Thankyou for the quick response. I was told by the dealer that the heat exchanger is only there to keep the oil at a perfect temp in the zl1 for racing. In normal day to day usage, would one need that? I have plans to get it out of the dealership and install that part on my own.
Also any source known that provides good info on the zl1 differential?? I've been hunting but ...
BC Racing coil-overs, 32ml rear sway bar, Solid cradle bushing kit, Steel jacket radius rod bushes, JPSS caster bolt, Bo White TB, Granitelli HP coils, Apex Catchcan, Vortech V7 Ysi Supercharger, LSX B-15 engine, custom spec cam, and other stuff.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:21 PM   #4
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
I've had a ZL1 diff in my SS for a few years. I don't put a lot of miles on it but the miles I do are more than a little hard.

I have no cooler installed. No issues with it yet. I change the fluid annually.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:59 PM   #5
NZZL1

Drives: 2013 BRM ZL1 Camaro M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LeSS View Post
Also any source known that provides good info on the zl1 differential?? I've been hunting but ...
Google is your friend...

22959394 Manual Transmission 3.73 Ratio
22959395 Automatic Transmission 3.23 Ratio

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/chev...0-new-zl1.html
NZZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:00 PM   #6
1LeSS

real good Info from google!! Thanks

and JRHAGEN, exactly what I wanted to hear!! Thanks all!! I will keep watching this thread for any other input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZZL1 View Post
Google is your friend...

22959394 Manual Transmission 3.73 Ratio
22959395 Automatic Transmission 3.23 Ratio

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/chev...0-new-zl1.html
Old 07-23-2017, 01:24 PM   #7
jrhagen
Banned

Quote:
real good Info from google!! Thanks

and JRHAGEN, exactly what I wanted to hear!! Thanks all!! I will keep watching this thread for any other input!
I beat the hell out of it, maintenance is the key.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:15 PM   #8
1LeSS

Angry

Ok, got the diff, plugged the holes. went to put my DSS one piece drive shaft in and the yoke on the drive shaft is too small for the yoke on the differential!
Mr Hagen, what did you do to mate your driveshaft to the yoke on the zl1 diff? or did you buy your driveshaft as you were building the drivetrain? Called DSS and they wont sell me just an adapter, they want my whole driveshaft back to mate the adapter to the driveshaft and make sure its vibration proff. 4 week turn around time so its not realistic.
LOOKING FOR ANY IDEAS ON MATING THIS DSS DRIVESHAFT TO THE ZL1.
bEEN MAKING CALLS TO THE VARIOUS PERFORMANCE PLACES BUT THEY HAVE NOTHING.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhagen View Post
I beat the hell out of it, maintenance is the key.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:39 PM   #9
jrhagen
Banned

Quote:
Ok, got the diff, plugged the holes. went to put my DSS one piece drive shaft in and the yoke on the drive shaft is too small for the yoke on the differential!
Mr Hagen, what did you do to mate your driveshaft to the yoke on the zl1 diff? or did you buy your driveshaft as you were building the drivetrain? Called DSS and they wont sell me just an adapter, they want my whole driveshaft back to mate the adapter to the driveshaft and make sure its vibration proff. 4 week turn around time so its not realistic.
LOOKING FOR ANY IDEAS ON MATING THIS DSS DRIVESHAFT TO THE ZL1.
bEEN MAKING CALLS TO THE VARIOUS PERFORMANCE PLACES BUT THEY HAVE NOTHING.
When I ordered the 4L80e trans, I informed them I have a ZL1 diff. DSS made the driveshaft accordingly.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:58 PM   #10
fif_gen_powa

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Turbo
Sell the SS driveshaft and buy a ZL1 driveshaft
fif_gen_powa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:14 PM   #11
1LeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fif_gen_powa View Post
Sell the SS driveshaft and buy a ZL1 driveshaft
That is what just happened. My DSS drive shaft is going up for sale and I am putting in a new ZL1 drive shaft. So after ten days in the shop, I have to wait another few days. Arrrggg. The problem with living in the far north of Canada. It takes forever to get stuff up here!!

but at least I shouldn't have problems selling my DSS shaft.