Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-22-2017, 09:55 AM   #1
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
Opinions on Supercharged Daily Driver

I have a dead stock 14 2SS I use as a daily driver. I also have another vehicle, a 14 Sierra. I drive the SS about 12-15k a year. It currently has 38 or 39k on the L99.

I'd like some opinions on whether to supercharge it or leave it n/a. Reliability is a concern. Gas mileage is not. Im not willing to do a lot of driveline mods. I'm in CA, so only a CARB approved installation will work for me. I know the Edelbrock kit is CARB approved. Any others?

Or sell the car and find a ZL1?
Old 07-22-2017, 10:19 AM   #2
ttshovel

Drives: 12 camaro ss, 72 chevelle, 91camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurshot View Post
I have a dead stock 14 2SS I use as a daily driver. I also have another vehicle, a 14 Sierra. I drive the SS about 12-15k a year. It currently has 38 or 39k on the L99.

I'd like some opinions on whether to supercharge it or leave it n/a. Reliability is a concern. Gas mileage is not. Im not willing to do a lot of driveline mods. I'm in CA, so only a CARB approved installation will work for me. I know the Edelbrock kit is CARB approved. Any others?

finding a zl1 would be ideal if you're not willing to do driveline mods. the rear end/trans and converter are near bulletproof from the factory and the zl1 would be faster with just bolts ons.

another option for a carb approved kit is the turbonetics kit. they make great power and you never see anything bad about them. plus no heat soaked blower!!!
12 camaro ss 427lsx, th400, f310 heads, crower shaft mounts, gpi specd solid roller, shearerfab 2k hp a/w, twin bullseye 88mm turbos, hughes pro ssx bolt together converter, holley dominator, 8.50 cert, backhalf, Ford 9", 33x17x16 tires, c16 fuel
ttshovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:21 AM   #3
SSyclone

Drives: 2011 2SS Inferno Orange
The E force is a nice kit. You'll make a bunch of power and shouldn't have to go through the drive line.

I did the LSA conversion and bought a used kit from a member not a driver so time wasn't an issue. I hope you or a friend have some skills, it's not that hard and the satisfaction of doing it yourself is the best.

Buckets of money under hood!
SSyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:49 AM   #4
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
I do have some background in racing. In the mid 70s I was a machinist for Mullen & co.. I modified pro stock, super stock, some nitro engine and boat heads for them. I built a turbo car around that time as well. Over the years I've modified cars and airplanes and built up OEM engines. So, I don't think a bolt on installation is out of my comfort zone.

I'm just thinking the cost of modifying my car is not far from buying a ZL1
Old 07-22-2017, 11:44 AM   #5
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
ADM has bolt on kits available from time to time for a really good price.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 04:56 PM   #6
meadowz06

Drives: none
I love mine as a daily driver!
Attached Images

Last edited by meadowz06; 07-23-2017 at 07:57 PM.
meadowz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:12 PM   #7
Moreair1

Drives: 2011 ss convertible
If you can afford it, I would do a zl1
Old 07-22-2017, 10:59 PM   #8
RandRSS

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro Eforce SC
I have not had mine that long but I use it as a DD with 57K on it with an Edelbrock SC. I really enjoy driving it!
RandRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:33 PM   #9
VASTREETRACER

Drives: 2023 Camaro SS 1LE on order
I installed my whipple, long tubes, cam and cai at 30k miles, I now have 160k miles
Old 07-23-2017, 04:36 AM   #10
bayarea408

Drives: T
If getting a ZL1 is an option, definitely do that.
bayarea408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:30 PM   #11
dentnshell

Drives: Black 2014 2SS
It is a 2014 It is 3 years old.. IMO a ZL1 has much better re-sale than a SS that has been "converted." A SC is almost worthless without doing something to the rear diff. You will need a locker or Posi-Mod at the very least. I figure I have put 10k in a car that I won't get back when it is time to sell... This will probably cause me to hang on to the car a little longer than I would want to. It has been fun building the car, but now 3 years later the car is done, and I know I will be getting the ich for something new soon. Thankfully we started modding the car from day one, we were able to enjoy the mods for the entire life of our ownership.
Mods: LSA Conversion 2.5" Upper Pulley, 65# injectors, GPI SS1 Cam, SP Long Tubes, ADM Race Scoop & CAI, NPP exhaust (DIY control), BMR 1" lowering springs, ZL1 Rear Differential / Axles, CF Side Strip / Hood Spear, Tint - Windows / Tails / Sidemarkers, Splash Guards, ADM Boost Gauge, ABL Dashkit, '68 Script Badges, ACS T4 Splitter, ZL1 Rockers from Gary's, Z28 Spoiler, Carbon Fiber Hood Vent, Summer - MRR FS01 Satin Black (10" Front 11" Rear) Winter, pictured-Drag DR 64's Satin Black (9" Front-10" Rear.)
dentnshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:33 PM   #12
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentnshell View Post
It is a 2014 It is 3 years old.. IMO a ZL1 has much better re-sale than a SS that has been "converted." A SC is almost worthless without doing something to the rear diff. You will need a locker or Posi-Mod at the very least. I figure I have put 10k in a car that I won't get back when it is time to sell... This will probably cause me to hang on to the car a little longer than I would want to. It has been fun building the car, but now 3 years later the car is done, and I know I will be getting the ich for something new soon. Thankfully we started modding the car from day one, we were able to enjoy the mods for the entire life of our ownership.
You don't have to get rid of one ride to start another. Cars don't get jealous.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:52 PM   #13
Navy Chief MoonsSS

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurshot View Post

I was in Cali for a while... know the pain lol...they don't even ship much less sale certain power making parts...i think the price is right lol...its the deciding factor here...is it a short or long term payment... do you want that or not... that's your real decision here...zl1 is fast and a 5th gen is very affordable now...i personally have about 60g in my SS and that's less than a new zl1... granted it took me 7 years to get here...

It's easy... either option is great... which one makes most sense financially and happiness...btw my car at 60k dollars... absolutely smokes zl1s... just a thought... are you willing to wait or power now kind of thing... you decide... best of luck!!!
SC (SLP TVS2300),
Black wing CAI (designed for SLP SC)
JRE super tensioner
Fuel system (ZL1pump/ADM control module/ID850 injectors)
wheels/tires
NGK TR7IX plugs
MSD wires
ZR1 3 bar map sensor
160° thermostat
Crank pin kit
Navy Chief MoonsSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:56 PM   #14
QUICRNU

Drives: Z06 wannabe
ZL1 !!!!!!!!!!!