Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-11-2016, 06:13 PM   #15
MBaseman

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS/1LE
^^^
The Nittos are decent in both dry and wet conditions. I swapped the tires and tire sizes around the same time that I did my springs, so it's difficult for me to say which had a greater effect on the feel while driving. I had the stock Goodyears on nearly 20K miles. Those are still the best warm weather dry conditions tire that I've driven, but I too was prioritizing rainy weather traction. I was scared driving the worn Goodyears when it was pouring hard, like it does a lot on S FL.

All in all I would recommend the Nitto G2's as a good tire that is less expensive and still gets the job done quite well. I did notice the feel of the car changed significantly. I have a 1LE and the car handled amazing stock. It still handles very well, but I definitely gave away a bit by making the changes that I did.

Good luck. It's a tough decision...I agonized over it for awhile too
MBaseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 06:07 PM   #16
01sleeperZ

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS VPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICTsccaCamaro View Post
Most of the quick autocross 1LE cars are running 305/30R19 all the way around the the 19x10's up front, with the bridgestone RE-71r tires with max front camber on stock height.

I was considering running 19x10.5 forgestar CF10 all around with 295/30/R19 or 305/30R19 front and back, but I am not sure if the same offset would work all around. What is your rear wheel width, and what offset do you use front and back? How does the 305/30/R19 fit on a 10" wide wheel, I was afraid that would be too narrow for a 305 as Tire Rack usually shows a min 10.5" width. I think my Camaro would feel less heavy and feel like it revs quicker with a smaller lighter wheel/tire combo.

You have a nice looking car - I really like the 5th Gen in white, as you can tell from mine!

Last edited by 01sleeperZ; 10-15-2016 at 06:20 PM.
01sleeperZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:47 AM   #17
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
We run different offsets front and rear for several reasons. We increase the front offset to gain clearance for coilovers. We increase the front offset to even the track front to rear.

We also only use Forgeline GA3R wheels as they leave the factory with a warranty for racing on slicks, the only wheel made that has a racing warranty.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 04:21 PM   #18
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Another question related to this...

When it comes to wheel widths for a given tire width, what are the benefits of a narrow wheel vs. a wide? For example, putting a 295 tire on a 10" wheel vs. a 10.5" or 11" wheel. When it comes to cornering, would a wider wheel be better because the sidewall will be stretched/tighter vs. a narrower wheel, or would a narrower wheel be better because the tire is squished in more and will flex and grip better? Wondering if 295's up front are really worth the extra price and weight or if you'd actually be better off with a 285 or possibly even 275 due to a better fitment.
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:17 PM   #19
01sleeperZ

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS VPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead View Post
Another question related to this...

When it comes to wheel widths for a given tire width, what are the benefits of a narrow wheel vs. a wide? For example, putting a 295 tire on a 10" wheel vs. a 10.5" or 11" wheel. When it comes to cornering, would a wider wheel be better because the sidewall will be stretched/tighter vs. a narrower wheel, or would a narrower wheel be better because the tire is squished in more and will flex and grip better? Wondering if 295's up front are really worth the extra price and weight or if you'd actually be better off with a 285 or possibly even 275 due to a better fitment.

My limited understanding is that a wider wheel for the same tire makes it more stable and planted in cornering, and helps keep tire sidewall flex down. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 11-22-2016, 01:14 PM   #20
PK Auto Design

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01sleeperZ View Post
My limited understanding is that a wider wheel for the same tire makes it more stable and planted in cornering, and helps keep tire sidewall flex down. Can anyone confirm this?
correct
PK Auto Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:41 PM   #21
Cornercarver
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
I autocrossed with Hankook r-S3 305/35-20 all around on ZL1 replicas for two seasons. 1" lowering spring. Max camber. Had to pull the inside fender lip on the front by hand a little. Otherwise they fit fine. I ran through two whole sets of tires like this.

The bad. Turn in was kinda sluggish feeling and the steering response was slow and numb. This is because the tires were a little too wide for the wheels, or pinched. Running the 285 would have given it much better turn in response. It was still a very fast setup until the better tires came out.

Now I run 335 Rivals all around. It's really fast now
Cornercarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 04:28 PM   #22
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
335 up front!? Holy Macaroni.

I'm starting to lean toward 275 up front on 10" wheels (2017 ZL1 replicas). With all things considered (practicality, cost, performance, looks) I think 275 up front might be best for me as this is strictly a street car so 275's will not lower ride height, and with decent tires and the suspension upgrades I want to do I probably won't even be able to push 275's to their limits on the street.

I'm thinking at least 295 in the rear, up to 315 depending on what tire I go with; I want a wider rear as more rear grip (understeer bias) is a bit safer for the streets plus they'll be better for accelerating and straight-line stability, and big rear tires just look badass.
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:43 PM   #23
LAMAKINA2
La Makina2

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornercarver View Post
I autocrossed with Hankook r-S3 305/35-20 all around on ZL1 replicas for two seasons. 1" lowering spring. Max camber. Had to pull the inside fender lip on the front by hand a little. Otherwise they fit fine. I ran through two whole sets of tires like this.

The bad. Turn in was kinda sluggish feeling and the steering response was slow and numb. This is because the tires were a little too wide for the wheels, or pinched. Running the 285 would have given it much better turn in response. It was still a very fast setup until the better tires came out.

Now I run 335 Rivals all around. It's really fast now
I just bought 305/35/20 Cooper tires rs3s, every other tire is on back order for at least 3 months have no time to wait. Rep at Discount tires said should be fine..I put them on on Friday will take video and pics and keep informed. Oh by the way car looks bad ass
Attached Images

Last edited by LAMAKINA2; 07-26-2017 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Add
LAMAKINA2 is offline   Reply With Quote