Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-18-2017, 05:23 PM   #15
jdpeezy91

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Are you typing on your cellphone?
Sure am my bad for miss spelling chevy got to typing in a hurry dont be a spelling nazi
jdpeezy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:32 PM   #16
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Could still be a ground issue, or worse - BCM.
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:43 PM   #17
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
Maybe the starter?
Old 08-19-2017, 12:35 AM   #18
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Basic troubleshooting. You've eliminated the battery as the issue, and you've checked your grounds. Since it starts well when cold, it may very well be the started as it heats up. They aren't cheap, and since it's an electrical part, most places won't take it back once it's been installed. You could pick one up, install it carefully, see if that fixes your problem, and then try to return it if it's not. Worse case scenario, you'll have a new starter for when it does fail. Since your voltmeter is showing 15V while driving, seems your alternator is charging correctly. After drIving for a while, does the charging voltage drop to 12.5-12.6? It should. If it doesn't, you may be overcharging the battery.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:02 AM   #19
jdpeezy91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddudesrule View Post
Basic troubleshooting. You've eliminated the battery as the issue, and you've checked your grounds. Since it starts well when cold, it may very well be the started as it heats up. They aren't cheap, and since it's an electrical part, most places won't take it back once it's been installed. You could pick one up, install it carefully, see if that fixes your problem, and then try to return it if it's not. Worse case scenario, you'll have a new starter for when it does fail. Since your voltmeter is showing 15V while driving, seems your alternator is charging correctly. After drIving for a while, does the charging voltage drop to 12.5-12.6? It should. If it doesn't, you may be overcharging the battery.
No it usualy stays in the 14-15v range.. i took the car to dealer as my airbag system light is now on as well they say there is an update for the BCM computer but if they instal it it will write over my custom dyno tune which is saved but they say if i reinstall it, it will just write over the update... im still thinking its a grounding issue somewhere that i havent been able to find... cars been starting good last couple days lights still dim when applying breaks or wipers tho sometime pretty bad as well as a slight miss in the midrange rpms
Old 08-30-2017, 11:02 AM   #20
steve7251

Drives: 2010 camaro
Not starting

To test your starter, connect the little wire with the smaller wire on the starter. just long enough to reach the positive 12 volts of the battery jump post. Then when it warm and will not start to key to run then touch wire to 12 post, if it starts then starter is fine. If not then replace starter.
steve7251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:13 AM   #21
orange devil
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 SS 2019 mustang GT
Have you tried troubleshooting your alternator?
orange devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:32 PM   #22
DvKillar

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 2LS
you said it got worse after installing new battery. this is a bad ground at the battery. put a new clamp on the ground cable. try again. could also be the Positive side, but less likely.
DvKillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 03:25 PM   #23
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpeezy91 View Post
Sure am my bad for miss spelling chevy got to typing in a hurry dont be a spelling nazi
Lol, I promise I wasn't trying to be. I just found it hilarious that it autocorrected one of the words to ...poopy.

I am 42yrs old, and if it's up to me I will never grow up.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:34 PM   #24
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
LOL auto correct...
2021 Wild Cherry ZL1 A10, Sunroof, Data,Red Carbon Interior, Nav, RotoFab Big Gulp , Elite x2ultra, Borla ATAK, Driveshaft shop, full BMR susp, Speed eng. valve covers, intercoolers, ATI , 2650 MAG, DSX lid, 103 NW, JBA shorties, Lingenfelter check, 1le wheels, spoiler and diveplanes, PCV, Big3racing ice tank, [SIGPIC]etc....
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:38 PM   #25
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
I get from severe heat and use of headers heat stroke that has to have the engine and starter cool some before restart or it will be exceptionally slow starting and that's with a new starter and battery added for that. High heat is worse on electrical components than cold actually. The stock heat shield does little to reflect heat and headers are and have been known to fry starters since I was young and that's a while back..LOL Placing a heat sock on the starter could help!, but remember for me it was a case of always replacing starters every couple years for my hot rods..only they were not $200+... Usually I stop for a long enough time; if not very long though it can make it drag;if very hot out and the car running hot the starter drags and then I can actually get codes thrown from it and have to limp home or until I just simply reset by disconnecting the battery. But that has only happened a couple times from fast restart hot on 100 degree days after driving hot. It is simply something you get used too I guess over the decades so many starters so many hot rods...that a starter is lucky for two years with headers if heat soaked and that a battery usually is only good for 1/2 its life usually then its questionable.
2021 Wild Cherry ZL1 A10, Sunroof, Data,Red Carbon Interior, Nav, RotoFab Big Gulp , Elite x2ultra, Borla ATAK, Driveshaft shop, full BMR susp, Speed eng. valve covers, intercoolers, ATI , 2650 MAG, DSX lid, 103 NW, JBA shorties, Lingenfelter check, 1le wheels, spoiler and diveplanes, PCV, Big3racing ice tank, [SIGPIC]etc....
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:01 PM   #26
Fireman124

Drives: 45th convertible ss
Take it to a shop with an ammeter that clamps on the battery cable along with hooking up a volt meter to the battery. Have somebody crank the vehicle and watch what the voltage of the battery drops to and how many amps the starter is drawing. Batteries are rated off cold cranking amps. As others have said with heat soak the starter will be drawing a lot. Would be a lot cheaper and easier to determine if starter is bad than just replacing the starter.
Fireman124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:52 AM   #27
jdpeezy91

I know this is a old thread i forgot about it but figured id post up the resolution got it fixed awhile back.. After the problems got way worse to the point my car barely ran all instruments going all haywire i had it towed to the dealer took them about two hours or so to find the issue was bad ground at the battery! They fixed it and ive had no problems since!!
Old 05-21-2018, 05:10 AM   #28
Theloots

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpeezy91 View Post
Okay so just replaced my battery to a premium AGM battery and the issue got WORSE when driving battery charges good probley 15v or more judging from the poopy checy gauge get better number when i hook my tiner up but once i shut the car off i can watch my battery gauge drop rapidly to 12v almost immediately and when i try to turn it over now it just clicks and dosnt even try to start i takes between 5 - 10 trys just clicking before it will turn over what could be drawling all my juice like this
It sounds exactly like the starter overheating. Happened to me years ago with my first Camaro.