Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

AWE Tuning

Old 09-11-2017, 11:44 PM   #1
exxit

Drives: 2016 1SS D1SC Methfed Lowered Wrapd
Looking for Clutch Options...

I may be doing this the wrong way... But what clutch options do we have? I know centerforce has a monsterous clutch... But I am very sure I won't be able to afford 1300-1800 plus labor. Not sure I want to replace a twin disc the first time alone either.

That being said... Are there OEM options we have? Can you put a single in here and save some dough but still get the power you need?

Is there an OEM replacement?

Can us M6 guys use the zl1 clutch (sorry if its a dumbass question)

AM I DOOMED TO DROP 2k-3k ON MY CLUTCH JOB?! :(

Halp. Ty.
exxit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:29 AM   #2
LesBaer
FMPG

Drives: 2016 2SS
How much power are you making? My transmission is all stock. Last year I was 565rw (12k miles driven) and have been at 734rw for all of 2017 (5k miles driven) and haven't had a single problem. It'll go eventually, I know, but so far I don't really see the need for an aftermarket clutch. I don't know much about the 6th gen options yet but I've spoken to people who have gone with aftermarket setups over the years on various cars and they're never 100% perfect like OEM.
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:58 AM   #3
exxit

What about within the realm of OEM, what options do we have there?

I can't even seem to find the OEM replacement clutch kit available.

I'm pushing about 630-650whp depending on the dyno

I don't have any clutch issues whatsoever yet but the car has 23k miles. I'd like to be prepared to a certain degree
Old 09-12-2017, 12:19 PM   #4
2K16SummitSS
Resident Land Surveyor

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS - Summit White M6
According to ThatGMPartsGuy website, the part numbers for the clutch pressure plate/disc are the only difference between the SS and ZL1. Same flywheel. My theory based on that information is that the ZL1 setup could be directly swapped to an SS. I don't know the difference in power holding capability between the two, but one could assume the ZL1 setup is a bit more beefy. It's also ~$13 cheaper than the SS setup, so that's a plus.

Edit: Slave & Master also share part numbers between SS and ZL1, so hydraulics are also the same.
2001 NBM Trans Am WS6, Wifey's Grocery Getter - Torquer V2 cam, Racetronix Fuel Pump, Yank 3000 Stall, Transgo 1-2 kit, TSP LTs, Magnaflow, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTIIs, Ed Wright tuned
2K16SummitSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:45 PM   #5
exxit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K16SummitSS View Post
According to ThatGMPartsGuy website, the part numbers for the clutch pressure plate/disc are the only difference between the SS and ZL1. Same flywheel. My theory based on that information is that the ZL1 setup could be directly swapped to an SS. I don't know the difference in power holding capability between the two, but one could assume the ZL1 setup is a bit more beefy. It's also ~$13 cheaper than the SS setup, so that's a plus.

Edit: Slave & Master also share part numbers between SS and ZL1, so hydraulics are also the same.

Hrmmm... Interesting that the flywheel is shared. My motor seems to take a bit longer to rev down than my buddy's 17 ZL1, we were thinking it was a flywheel difference. May be something else
Old 09-12-2017, 04:03 PM   #6
2K16SummitSS
Resident Land Surveyor

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS - Summit White M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by exxit View Post
Hrmmm... Interesting that the flywheel is shared. My motor seems to take a bit longer to rev down than my buddy's 17 ZL1, we were thinking it was a flywheel difference. May be something else
My guess would be the supercharger pulley added to the belt assembly slows the car down faster on rev down.
2001 NBM Trans Am WS6, Wifey's Grocery Getter - Torquer V2 cam, Racetronix Fuel Pump, Yank 3000 Stall, Transgo 1-2 kit, TSP LTs, Magnaflow, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTIIs, Ed Wright tuned
2K16SummitSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:20 PM   #7
exxit

im also procharged so it may be that the bypass opens and the resistance drops, not sure
Old 09-13-2017, 07:46 PM   #8
Centerforce_Clutches

Drives: Chevy Camaro
The real question is what type of driving do you do with the car? At your power level, the stock clutch could handle normal street driving and maybe even a road course event here and there, but if you're planning any more performance driving than that, it would be a good idea to look into an upgraded clutch.

The cost of a quality clutch may seem high, but a well-made unit will last a good number of years and stand up to a ton of abuse without leaving you stranded. The cheaper models often leave you with less-than-ideal pedal feel and can cost you more for labor in the long run if they fail prematurely.

No need to be wary of installation-our DYAD twin-disk comes pre-assembled and is installed exactly the same as a stock clutch.

If you have any questions about the DYAD system, please feel free to shoot us a PM or call anytime. We'd be glad to help!