Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-27-2017, 02:45 PM   #1
Mattzkatz

Drives: Not yet, but soon
Help with understanding the '12-'15 ZL1

Sorry for the newb thread, but wanted to make sure I was understanding the difference in the years listed above. Basically the same car/platform for each year with the exception(s): '13 gained touch screen display + integrated nav via mylink & convertible ... then '14 added some cosmetic updates and Recaro's (as an option) ... '15 basically stayed the same as '14 minus Recaro's became standard and not "optioned in".

Please add-to or correct me if I'm wrong/missed something. These are the things I noticed as being different based on comparing the models and info found on the ZL1 Registry page.

I'm horrible for "newer MUST BE BETTER" mentality, but for all intents and purposes the '12-'15 are all basically the same car/platforms (performance, suspension, drivetrain)?? Yes? No?
Mattzkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:03 PM   #2
BlackWidow24

Drives: ZL-1 653rwhp/640rwtq
you summed up most of the differences, and i would agree that newer doesn't necessarily mean better in this case unless you're a fan of the 14-15 tail lights and recaros. you can get a 12-13 for significantly cheaper than a 14-15.
BlackWidow24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:24 PM   #3
Mattzkatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow24 View Post
you summed up most of the differences, and i would agree that newer doesn't necessarily mean better in this case unless you're a fan of the 14-15 tail lights and recaros. you can get a 12-13 for significantly cheaper than a 14-15.
That's kinda true lol ... prices for these cars are all over the place. Granted a listing price vs SELLING price are two VERY DIFFERENT things

Glad I wasn't missing something, but that is what I was concluding from what I could tell. The "bigger" problem (1st world problem) that I'm having is deciding from a '16-'17SS vs a 5th gen LZ1. They are basically all in the same price range and I like some of the features offered (tech wise) in the 6th gen, but I've seen a pretty consistent feeling that the 6gen feels like it has less livable space inside. This will be a DD (granted I only drive 2mi to work ), but I've got a 6yr old and 4yr old that are with me enough that it needs to be usable to keep momma on board with my little mid-life crisis
Old 11-27-2017, 04:07 PM   #4
Captaincrunch42

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattzkatz View Post
That's kinda true lol ... prices for these cars are all over the place. Granted a listing price vs SELLING price are two VERY DIFFERENT things

Glad I wasn't missing something, but that is what I was concluding from what I could tell. The "bigger" problem (1st world problem) that I'm having is deciding from a '16-'17SS vs a 5th gen LZ1. They are basically all in the same price range and I like some of the features offered (tech wise) in the 6th gen, but I've seen a pretty consistent feeling that the 6gen feels like it has less livable space inside. This will be a DD (granted I only drive 2mi to work ), but I've got a 6yr old and 4yr old that are with me enough that it needs to be usable to keep momma on board with my little mid-life crisis
I sold my 16 1SS for my 13 ZL1 and have zero regrets...the 16SS was a really nice sports car, but the ZL1 is a lot more fun to drive and has a ton of room to grow with mods.

You're right on the livable space, and that was my main reason for the switch - my little man is in a rear-facing car seat and the small back seat of the '16 was infuriating trying to get him in and out. I don't think a forward facing would be a whole lot better. The 5th gen has far more livable space and I even sit back there with him sometimes when my wife drives it.

Only downside to the ZL1 is about 12 less MPG on the freeway...

2006 Corvette Coupe - A6, Ported FAST, LG Super Pros, Borla Catback
Captaincrunch42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:01 PM   #5
Mattzkatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincrunch42 View Post
I sold my 16 1SS for my 13 ZL1 and have zero regrets...the 16SS was a really nice sports car, but the ZL1 is a lot more fun to drive and has a ton of room to grow with mods.

You're right on the livable space, and that was my main reason for the switch - my little man is in a rear-facing car seat and the small back seat of the '16 was infuriating trying to get him in and out. I don't think a forward facing would be a whole lot better. The 5th gen has far more livable space and I even sit back there with him sometimes when my wife drives it.

Only downside to the ZL1 is about 12 less MPG on the freeway...
thanks for the info...that's what I was hoping to find/read; someone that has experienced a similar situation. Not really concernced about the mpg b/c I only drive 2mi to work and my truck I currently have prolly gets the same/worse mpg and isn't NO WHERE near as fun . There's a local-ish lot that has a '12 ZL1 and either a '16SS or '17SS (can't remember) and I was going to try and crawl around in both. Would like to put my 6yr old in the back and see how he fits, but the boss is a little less enthused about spending a day at a car lot to satisfy my desire to play with used cars lol
Old 11-27-2017, 05:18 PM   #6
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Looking for a 2013 ZL1 convertible, M6, 4100 miles, mint condition?
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:50 PM   #7
Mattzkatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Looking for a 2013 ZL1 convertible, M6, 4100 miles, mint condition?
wouldn't say it is out of the realm of possibilities for the right price...currently not "buying" until Feb/Mar (currently researching and window shopping), but you can PM me some pics/info and I can hold on to it until I'm ready to buy if you still have it then.

I will say you've got 2 strikes against you though...the boss isn't a white fan and doesn't know how to drive a manual. I've thought about teaching her, but she said she couldn't get it when she tried learning in a jeep several years ago & I can't imagine a more "forgiving" clutch/vehicle to learn on unless the clutch was bad hahaha
Old 11-27-2017, 06:50 PM   #8
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
The 14-15 models also get a color HUD and DIC which I like a lot better.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:07 PM   #9
camarodude87

Drives: 2002 SOM SS
I dont regret buying for 14. I prefer the look of the 14-15. Looks more retro IMO.
At the color HUD and DIC was a must for me. The recaros are probably the thing I love the most. I sat in both. Recaros all the way
92 Camaro - Paxton supercharged 355 5 speed - SOLD
02 SOM Camaro-H/C/I, Moser 9, Stage 2 T56 - SOLD
1969 Camaro 6.0 LQ9 4L60E- SOLD
2014 ZL1-SOLD
camarodude87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:14 PM   #10
Mattzkatz

Bet the color display and recaros are nice, but the Red Rock Metallic that started in '14 has got to be my favorite color so far! Just don't see getting a '14 or '15 squeezed down from the $40s (where most '14-'15s are priced) to where the boss has approved my spending amount to be

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ink=true&Log=0

The way the color "changes" and has an orange look under the right angle and light....it's SHARP ... although I am pretty partial to blue being a Cats fan and all, but haven't seen one for sale with pics yet (that I can think of)
Old 11-27-2017, 07:26 PM   #11
BlackWidow24

Drives: ZL-1 653rwhp/640rwtq
I have a fully loaded 13 black automatic if you're interested as well =)
BlackWidow24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:55 PM   #12
Mattzkatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow24 View Post
I have a fully loaded 13 black automatic if you're interested as well =)
like I told "can'thave2muchhp" ... just window shopping right now, but if you want to shoot me a PM with some info/price/pics I can add it to the list
Old 11-28-2017, 09:36 PM   #13
VChula
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 1996 Z28 SS & 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattzkatz View Post
Sorry for the newb thread, but wanted to make sure I was understanding the difference in the years listed above. Basically the same car/platform for each year with the exception(s): '13 gained touch screen display + integrated nav via mylink & convertible ... then '14 added some cosmetic updates and Recaro's (as an option) ... '15 basically stayed the same as '14 minus Recaro's became standard and not "optioned in".

Please add-to or correct me if I'm wrong/missed something. These are the things I noticed as being different based on comparing the models and info found on the ZL1 Registry page.

I'm horrible for "newer MUST BE BETTER" mentality, but for all intents and purposes the '12-'15 are all basically the same car/platforms (performance, suspension, drivetrain)?? Yes? No?
Recaro seats were an option on 2015 ZL1's as well and not standard.

In addition to Blue Ray Metallic being replaced by Blue Velvet Metallic in the 2015 model year, the only other difference from the 2014 car I specifically know of has to do with the rear view camera display.
On the 2014 car, yellow and red object distance warning triangles will appear when in reverse, whereas on the 2015 car, there are "alignment" grid indicators (probably not the official term).
1996 Camaro Z28 SS #1688
2014 Camaro ZL1 Coupe #1956
VChula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:46 AM   #14
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Recaros were a $2,000 option for both '14 and '15. It was essentially the same car except for the updates that you mentioned in your opening post.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote