Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-19-2010, 08:45 PM   #127
KATHY63

Drives: 2010 IOM manual 2SS
We have been driving manual shift cars for about 25-30 years and have never had a problem like this. We already had the clutch,clutch plate,flywheel, and slave cylinder replaced when there was less than 4,000 miles on the car. Now we are having the same problem again. It happens to me from 1st to 2nd and I do not use the launch mode at all. I know that I donot know how to use it so I do not even try. GM is saying that we do not know how to drive our cars or that it happens when we use launch mode. I read my owners manual again yesterday and it specifies to let off the clutch slowly which is exactly what we do. Our fluid is contaminated again which worries me because it is also the brake fluid. GM wants the car back but that will not happen anytime soon. Ours was among the first 8,000 built. This means that it has a lot of things on or in it that GM no longer does. Now they are saying to fix it and the dealer told them that everything would have to be replaced about every 8 months the way things are going. GM did not like that answer either so now we don't know what is going on with it. We don not appreciate people saying that we do not know how to drive our car or that we are letting our foot rest on the clutch. We just laughed at that one. GM knows that there is a problem and they just don't know how to fix it. They need to get it together if they are going to continue producing this car with a manual trans. We would love to buy a Z if they do come out but there is no way if they can't fix this major problem.
KATHY63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:38 PM   #128
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Just curious....with launch control, how are you all letting off the clutch? Slowly? Or literally dropping it?

And I'd like to reiterate once more, since this thread is still alive -- bring it to your dealer and have them look at it if you think there's a problem. The Camaro team reviews all warranty claims, and service feedback from dealers is most valuable.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:22 PM   #129
KATHY63

We are dealing with GM. We even talked to Al oppenheiser at C5Fest and he said that he would contact us, but still has not. We are supposed to hear from GM again tomorrow. I do NOT use launch mode. It happens to me in normal driving. I have no reason to use launch mode because I do not know how to use it. I am worried about the brake system being messed up since both fluids are ran together and the fluid is contaminated from the clutch fluid. There is even a picture in the C5F book where our clutch is burning up. You can see the smoke by the front tires.

Last edited by KATHY63; 07-20-2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:47 PM   #130
SuperFly03

Drives: 2010 Kona Blue GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Just curious....with launch control, how are you all letting off the clutch? Slowly? Or literally dropping it?

And I'd like to reiterate once more, since this thread is still alive -- bring it to your dealer and have them look at it if you think there's a problem. The Camaro team reviews all warranty claims, and service feedback from dealers is most valuable.
I'd love to if I can get some time off. I have no other car and no one can drive me around (current GF shares her car). :mad0 260:: mad0260:
SuperFly03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:56 AM   #131
Edrock

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS LS3
UPDATE (7/20/2010): I was on the way to the dealership to drop the car off for diagnostics and, wouldn't you know it, 1st gear engaged normally the whole way there except for 1 solitary time. Yesterday it happened at every stoplight or stop sign. I'm glad it didn't happen this morning but that is irritating. Therefore, I'm not expecting much to come from this trip to the dealer. I'm expecting a call later today that they could not reproduce the issue. I know I'm not going crazy. Maybe it was an issue that had to work itself out, who knows? We'll see what happens with the dealership and I'll post the update.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:29 AM   #132
Edrock

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS LS3
UPDATE (7/21/2010): As suspected and predicted in the prior post, they had their "experts" drive/inspect the car and determined the car was operating within spec. Didn't really upset me at all. As long as it is OK. I drove to work this morning and it drove perfectly so I have no complaints. Maybe it was something that worked itself out. Not saying I've seen the last of the issue but I'm fine for now and well within warranty for several years so all is well.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:20 PM   #133
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
not going to list vin.. but my clutch has stuck half way in once
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:30 PM   #134
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
My clutch has stuck twice on me half way to the floor both times. Those are the only 2 times I have ever tried to do a semi aggressive launch from a dead stop. I had the pressure plate, flywheel and clutch replaced by the dealerthe first time it happened. 500 easy going miles later, I gave it another whirl, same crap. My camaro has 4200 miles on it now and it sure is disappointing. I have been clutching motorcycles since I was 12, My last gen 4 camaro had no such issue. vin:25421

Fact of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday
even the calendar reads...
W T F
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:47 PM   #135
heimy74

Drives: 2010 6.2L SS Manual
Clutch Issue

VIN #A9123203 My car came in July 09', as of a week ago my clutch started to stick and the hydrolics isn't holding consistant pressure. I brought it back to the dealership and they told "too many aggressive starts your pressure plate is warped," but it isn't the driver. What's that supposed to mean??? Apparrently GM must be instructing them to tell this to Camaro owners. The dealership agreed to replace the clutch on a 1 time basis. The service manager didn't say there was a known issue but that GM is now willing to replace the clutch. Sounds like a round about answer to a weak clutch for a high performance vehicle. What did they do put a Chevy Cobalt clutch in these monsters? New part numbers tells me that there is a known issue. Waiting for the parts to come in.
Attached Images

heimy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:33 PM   #136
nascar14fan

Drives: 2010 Red 2SS/CGMStripes/RS/6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

never once used the launch control. To affraid to try it.
nascar14fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:37 PM   #137
nascar14fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67motorcat View Post
Just a thought guys.....after ready all these posts with people having clutch issues...Are we all doing what we are supposed to be doing with our left foot when we are done shifting?

This may not be what is causing the problem but it sure can contribute and with a hydraulic system it is even more critical.It does not have the free play of the direct link rod systems.

Take your foot OFF the pedal or make sure you do not let your foot,while RESTING on the pedal,put any pressure at all on it.

If you do,and I know a ton of drivers who do this,it provides slight contact of the throwout bearing against the diaphram fingers and produces major heat.

If this is done on a regular basis the disc becomes glazed and the flywheel gets blue spots......Then the diaphram fingers start to lose temper...then engagement becomes eratic,changes when driven cold and when driven hot......Then it side loads the output shaft sleeve and begins to wear grooves in it where the throwout bearing slides back and forth 1000's of times when shifting.

Then.....well you see what I mean

Just trying to help here.Iv'e done several TKO swaps in early Camaros and have taught my kids how to drive a stick....I understand how they work and I would say the best advice is to engage quickly and keep your foot off the pedal.

I would bet that some,but not all clutch issues people are having with the new Camaro with thier springy and sensitive clutches are self induced.The torque these engines have accelarate the problem much more than,say, a Honda that could survive it's entire life with a "foot rest" driver

As you know when the foot is on it.... the clutch is slipping.
Not that dumb to leave my foot resting on the clutch. Way to expensive to replace to burn it up that way. Not my first car with a clutch.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:43 PM   #138
nascar14fan

Dont know why everybody seems to think it is the driver? I have had my new master/clutch resivour now for a week or so. And so far so good. The new fluid they put in is clear as can be. It is a real shame I have not drove this car rough now since the new parts got put on. I just am affraid of locking it up again. I love this car but I think its time to let someone else take over the problem. Give me my Silverado back.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:43 PM   #139
nascar14fan

or maybe time for F-150
Old 07-28-2010, 06:31 PM   #140
KATHY63

Just an update on our clutch problem. In about 2 weeks our car will be going in the shop and the are going to start with the brake fluid. If it contaminated, they will be going from there and following the bulletins on what to do to fix it.