Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 09-19-2010, 12:26 PM   #1401
fazm

Drives: ex-500hp v6 mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sax1031 View Post
Yep and the insiders at Ford said in development the 5.0 made 475 hp on the engine dyno. Then it was detuned for production. And by looking at the numbers gained from tuning that looks to be pretty accurate.

close, 468
fazm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:51 PM   #1402
cmoney2007

Drives: 2010 VR 2LT, 2014 Charger SXT
That's crazy though quad exhaust and unless I looked at it wrong emissions is going to love this. Sick looking Mustang though if I were getting a Boss it'd be a '69
cmoney2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:56 PM   #1403
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cosby View Post

But I will still get a kick out of reading these posts...:
Because of our biases.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:51 PM   #1404
assasinator
1 n the head,2 n da chest

Drives: 2002 cadillac deville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cosby View Post
This has gotten rather humorous.

BTW....this winter/spring, I will be cross-shopping a GT or Boss with an 09/10 low mileage Vette, and perhaps even an 06/07 Z06 (if prices continue to fall like they have been). However, even though I will be seriously considering all of them, I don't consider any Mustang to be a direct competitor with any Vette. At all.

What I won't be considering is the SS (it won't magically drop 300 lbs this spring), Challenger (it won't magically drop 500 lbs this spring), GT500 (done the blower thing, over it), or Z28 (see GT500, and assuming it is available then). For that matter, it is likely I won't seriously consider the Boss either due to the inevitable markups on what will likely be a pretty hefty MSRP.

In the end, it is all personal preference based on my own wants, needs, and biases (and make no mistake...we are ALL biased).

But I will still get a kick out of reading these posts...which is one of the reasons I'm here.
i'm hip with what you said. if they make the 2012 vette look like i hope they will, ill get one. otherwise the CTS-v is still the car. i thought about an 07CTS-v but the rear end still bothers me. its fixed in the 09+. if the vette looks like a ferrari, then the decision is made for me. no thanks. i feel like the vette should look back to its history for its next model.

my dream car is a ferrari mondial. i need a stable for all the cars we are collecting. as i get older i want more variety.

my best car is the 02 deville. impeccable looks. great ride. quiet. ive read reviews of the C6Z and they say its too raw in the handling/acceleration mode. the C5Z is getting older now. and broken rear ends are no good for me either. caddy then the ferrari.

FAZM, you are right. 468hp.
2011GT E85, Kooks 1-7/8", 3" offroad X, 2-7/8" overaxles, Roush mufflers, CobraJet intake, SCJ monoblade throttle body, drew 4.5" CAI, Boss302S exhaust valve springs, Baby CobraJet exhaust cams. 3.73 gears, lightweight 300A. 455rwhp @7800/410rwtq SAE 5000lb roller dynojet
assasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:03 PM   #1405
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
Dont waste your time. I have said it about 100 times in 100 different threads. Lots of people will still just simply disregard this anyways...but if one were to look into the NEW SAE certification process etc. I'm sure they would change their tune....but then again maybe not lol.

Here are some engine dyno tests of the ls3 and l99. Engine dyno with headers and no accessories...~480hp for the ls3.

http://www.**************************-...l#post13882913
You realize his post didn't support yours at all right?

I know exactly what the NEW sae certification process entails. It is still not impossible to fudge the numbers lower and, like I said before, no car is required to be sae certified for power anyway. Did he not just show you that the sae certified power for the mustang is actually higher than what Ford claims? Isn't that underrating??? Was this whole discussion not about the Boss 302, a car that has NOT been sae certified, and is not required to be(none are!)? The whole point was that the Boss seems likely to be underrated and you said the new sae certification process makes that impossible.... That's not the truth.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:48 PM   #1406
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
You realize his post didn't support yours at all right?

I know exactly what the NEW sae certification process entails. It is still not impossible to fudge the numbers lower and, like I said before, no car is required to be sae certified for power anyway. Did he not just show you that the sae certified power for the mustang is actually higher than what Ford claims? Isn't that underrating??? Was this whole discussion not about the Boss 302, a car that has NOT been sae certified, and is not required to be(none are!)? The whole point was that the Boss seems likely to be underrated and you said the new sae certification process makes that impossible.... That's not the truth.
LOL...no it showed that they have to be within 1% of the rating...just like the certification entails. They could have rated the car at 420hp as well (hmmm and what do you know...430hp ls3 in vette and 426hp in camaro...seems like people are following the rules doesnt it). I dont call 4 hp under rating. That could easily be the difference in a dyno or a given engine...give me a break. Why else would they allow a 1% variance...

And no...I dont see how it didnt support my post...and I think you are losing your mind my friend. The only thing I see is that it upset you to see this hard data LOL

I didnt say the Boss was going to be certified...in fact I ASKED if it was. I was implying if it was SAE certified it is in fact impossible for the car to be underrated. You obviously still do not understand the certification if you are still tryikng to argue about it .

Being optional and being valid have nothing to do with each other...once again quit grasping for straws. I said the certification process puts an end to under rating...obviously only if it has been done to the motor...how else? LMAO

Let me spell it out for you....AGAIN

If in fact the certification process is done to the Boss (like I said before)it is in fact impossible for the Boss to be under rated (more than + or - 1% as the certification entails). If it is not then obviously it can be....WHICH I ALSO STATED previously.

What was the point of your post? did you even read my posts? Your entire post was pointless and did nothing but try and skew what I had said before. Your obviously just upset because your mythical 5.0 isnt under rated.

Last edited by ULTRAZLS1; 09-19-2010 at 06:12 PM.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:50 PM   #1407
snakekiller

Drives: f150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black5thgen View Post
The days of different V8's are over huh? So Ford can do it but GM can't? That seems to be what you are saying in your post. The Boss 5.0 is different from the regular 5.0. GM can just as easily bump up HP for a certain model of SS for 2012 if they choose. As it stands there are 2 V8 options with different HP ratings for the SS. GM can play the same game as ford and offer an SS with a dry sump oiling system (already in the GS), different intake/exhaust (borrowed from the Z28), tweak the tune and add a gear. That would easily offer competition for the Boss. Seeing as we have no solid proof as to what GM has in store in 2012 my predictions could be as valid as yours that GM has nothing else other than the vert and Z.
yes GM can do all those things, but hey don't have to. the Camaro has been out for a year, switching engines doesn't make sense. the Mustang was force to rush its 4.6L replacement, Both 5.0L were developed at the same time. they were already planning the revival of the 302. GM on the other hand has a z/28 and vert cumming up, their sales will continue to rise with both introductions, there no need to retaliate. by 2013 is where GM need to retaliate, Shelby's contract ends in 2013 and there might be a SVT Cobra revival cumming on its 20th anniversary.
snakekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:56 PM   #1408
ULTRAZLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakekiller View Post
yes GM can do all those things, but hey don't have to. the Camaro has been out for a year, switching engines doesn't make sense. the Mustang was force to rush its 4.6L replacement, Both 5.0L were developed at the same time. they were already planning the revival of the 302. GM on the other hand has a z/28 and vert cumming up, their sales will continue to rise with both introductions, there no need to retaliate. by 2013 is where GM need to retaliate, Shelby's contract ends in 2013 and there might be a SVT Cobra revival cumming on its 20th anniversary.
They dont have to change engines...but it is about time. The LS3 has been in the vette since 2008. The LS2 only lasted from 05-07.

I would be very surprised if we didnt see some revisions to the ls3, a switch to DI or a entirely new motor. At the least some gear options etc or performance package

Dodge even stepped it up and their financial situation is no better. If chevy doesn't do it in 2012 MY I would be very surprised...2013 MY at the latest
Old 09-19-2010, 07:41 PM   #1409
snakekiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
They dont have to change engines...but it is about time. The LS3 has been in the vette since 2008. The LS2 only lasted from 05-07.

I would be very surprised if we didnt see some revisions to the ls3, a switch to DI or a entirely new motor. At the least some gear options etc or performance package

Dodge even stepped it up and their financial situation is no better. If chevy doesn't do it in 2012 MY I would be very surprised...2013 MY at the latest
but they are Z/28 and vert for a complete lineup, the Boss 302 came as a surprise and GM doesn't really need to compete with it. i positive we will see some add ons for the camaro 2012. Dodge had to step it up because it was getting destroyed, just like ford had to when the camaro came out. i could see a 302 competitor with a LS9 non S/C 6.2L, but i really think its not going to happen.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:55 PM   #1410
DarricSS

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
Have to be age 12 to post further in this thread..

Continue:

Old 09-20-2010, 08:55 AM   #1411
assasinator
1 n the head,2 n da chest

Drives: 2002 cadillac deville
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakekiller View Post
i could see a 302 competitor with a LS9 non S/C 6.2L, but i really think its not going to happen.

ummm the non-S/C LS9 6.2 is called an ls3.

i know the differences between ls9/3 thank you.
2011GT E85, Kooks 1-7/8", 3" offroad X, 2-7/8" overaxles, Roush mufflers, CobraJet intake, SCJ monoblade throttle body, drew 4.5" CAI, Boss302S exhaust valve springs, Baby CobraJet exhaust cams. 3.73 gears, lightweight 300A. 455rwhp @7800/410rwtq SAE 5000lb roller dynojet
assasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:58 AM   #1412
Shifty 6

Drives: 2010 GTI
I haven't read this whole thing... but I remember Porsche trying something like this a few years ago, called the GT3 or the GT3 RS. Of course it is goign to outperform a Camaro. I think it is a great idea. I would love for GM to do something like this. I don't know if they just see the business case, or if Ford is just financing this or what. It just seems like people would be interested in this. If I were in a better position financially, I would love to have this in a camaro.
Shifty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:31 AM   #1413
snakekiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by assasinator View Post
ummm the non-S/C LS9 6.2 is called an ls3.

i know the differences between ls9/3 thank you.
sorry i wasn't clear. i meant a LS3 with all the LS9 upgrades excluding the S/C, a N/A LS9 isn't just a LS3 you get fully forge internals and higher rpm range.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:45 AM   #1414
ULTRAZLS1

They are not going to anything like that for a camaro. A ZR-1 derived motor for the camaro? what the hell LOL.

They will update or replace the existing LS3 in the base vette and then will be used in the camaro...just like it has always been.

The question will be when. A lot of times the new motor goes in the vette for 1 year and then the camaro the next (1985-1987 for 350tpi vette camaro...a few 86 irocs had a 350 tpi, 1992-1993 vette camaro for LT1, and 1997-1998 for vette camaro ls1). They might do it the same year this time due to the heated competition.

All speculation and opinion obviously...but this is how it has been for the last 25 years in regards to the camaro air pump.

Tags
camaro, camaro vs mustang, cobra, faster, mods, mustang, race