Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #2073
NJIOMSS

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS
You sir are a Psychopath!

Good Job is an understatement
NJIOMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #2074
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Amazing work by many people (on nathans car, and others).

Here is what I've been working on... Did aluminum first to make sure the CAD files are valid. In aluminum they save 1.6 lbs. I have a sheet of carbon fiber thats going to the waterjet next month, I will post up weights on that too...

Factory bracket & screws (no solenoids) = 1.5 lbs each side
Aluminum bracket & screws (no solenoids) = 0.7 lbs each side

It mounts to the factory covers and utilizes the factory wiring (both solenoid wiring, and spark plug wires).

Now, I just need to pull off the factory valve covers, remove the extra mounting holes, and polish them up.

Also going to go ahead and polish up the brackets (they are t6060 and should shine).
Old 05-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #2075
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
I am sorry, but I don't approve of the upside down coils, isn't something else you can do?
Old 05-11-2013, 12:24 AM   #2076
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Stache View Post
Amazing work by many people (on nathans car, and others).

Here is what I've been working on... Did aluminum first to make sure the CAD files are valid. In aluminum they save 1.6 lbs. I have a sheet of carbon fiber thats going to the waterjet next month, I will post up weights on that too...

Factory bracket & screws (no solenoids) = 1.5 lbs each side
Aluminum bracket & screws (no solenoids) = 0.7 lbs each side

It mounts to the factory covers and utilizes the factory wiring (both solenoid wiring, and spark plug wires).

Now, I just need to pull off the factory valve covers, remove the extra mounting holes, and polish them up.

Also going to go ahead and polish up the brackets (they are t6060 and should shine).

Stache that's pretty innovative. I see like Doc, your also into getting rid of as much weight as possible. Can't wait to see the final rendition! Might pick up an idea or two from you. Thanks for posting!

More updates on the suspension thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285800

WHAT.......

Name:  043.jpg
Views: 1316
Size:  142.4 KB

Last edited by Moreno1; 05-11-2013 at 12:40 AM.
Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:53 AM   #2077
NEGXXIS

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS A10
Looks AWESOME Nathan!! Balls and a Sawzall !!! LOL

Dont forget to look for those lines for me...i need them badly
SOLD 2019 Camaro SS -Wrapped in Matte Magnectic Black - Anderson Carbon Hood and Rear Spoiler – Ikon front spoiler – OEM ZL1 Side Rockers - ZL1 Addons Diffuser - BMR 1.0” Lowering Springs - MRR 228 Wheels 20x10 and 20x11
RIP 2016 Camaro SS https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565453
SOLD 2010 Camaro SS Featured in GM High Tech Performance and Camaro Now Magazines - http://www.superchevy.com/features/g...of-perfection/
NEGXXIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:55 PM   #2078
Moreno1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
NATHAN weigh the factory glass and new glass before you install them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK10 View Post
Interested in the weight difference also.
I posted the weight savings details in the suspension thread....... http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=1#post6544599
Old 05-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #2079
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
I posted the weight savings details in the suspension thread....... http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=1#post6544599
So tempting. But I really can't give up my FM radio :/
Old 05-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #2080
Moreno1

Quote:
So tempting. But I really can't give up my FM radio :/
RJ, I'm sure there is another solution for FM radio.

BTW Guys, I wanted to post this exert from an e-mail Larry at TechAFX sent me. Some folks had recommended using these QD fittings earlier on this thread.

I looked over the earlier stuff in that thread & I would warn ANYBODY about using this piece of sh*t:

It's an unsafe, under-engineered, cheap, Chinese made, piece of junk. The U-shaped bit doesn't secure well & can vibrate loose.

One of the principals at SDPC had it loosen up on his Corvette & only by the grace of God did he avoid an engine fire when the fuel sprayed out.
Finch wasn't as lucky as his old Camaro burned to the ground because of one of these run between the trans. It leaked when he was out track racing. He now runs a 71 Camaro.

Tales of these things failing are all over the place. That's why we make these QD Jumpers, so our customers can SAFELY upgrade their cars.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #2081
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
This fitting from Russell is a better choice. It uses the factory type retaining clip. No way for it to vibrate loose.

Russell 640853

LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #2082
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Do it. This thread needs more views anyway
Haha, I'll do it, but first I'm going to do my car up like this so I can show off.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:45 AM   #2083
Moreno1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
Haha, I'll do it, but first I'm going to do my car up like this so I can show off.
Make sure to post pictures here, LOL.

New updates in the suspension thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=1#post6544599

Received the new Flex-a-lite radiator yesterday.

Name:  008.jpg
Views: 1209
Size:  170.8 KB

This is the original one I got from Flex-a-lite that's designed for 5th Gen Camaros. Being that we are tucking the rad forward and under the rad support, it would have necessitated several modifications to do it like we wanted. It made more sense to just get a new one rather than modify the existing one.

This is the original rad that is going to Synner. I'm glad I was able to hook him up.

Name:  003-14.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  150.0 KB

1. We had the tube on the top mounted lower on the tank allowing us to tuck the rad flush against the rad support.
  2. We are running the vapor line into the upper hose, so there was no need for the fitting on top of the upper tube.
  3. We had both tubes straightened vs put at a 45 degree angle since we are recreating the hoses.
  4. We were originally thinking of drilling a hole through the top of the rad support and extending the filler cap neck about 1.5 inches (see picture below). We decided instead to incorporate the filler cap on the hose eliminating the need for the a filler cap on the rad.
Name:  top_tuner_chevrolet_camaro_13.jpg
Views: 1114
Size:  320.6 KB
Old 05-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #2084
driyac

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
Make sure to post pictures here, LOL.

New updates in the suspension thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=1#post6544599

Received the new Flex-a-lite radiator yesterday.

Attachment 511414

This is the original one I got from Flex-a-lite that's designed for 5th Gen Camaros. Being that we are tucking the rad forward and under the rad support, it would have necessitated several modifications to do it like we wanted. It made more sense to just get a new one rather than modify the existing one.

This is the original rad that is going to Synner. I'm glad I was able to hook him up.

Attachment 511413

1. We had the tube on the top mounted lower on the tank allowing us to tuck the rad flush against the rad support.
  2. We are running the vapor line into the upper hose, so there was no need for the fitting on top of the upper tube.
  3. We had both tubes straightened vs put at a 45 degree angle since we are recreating the hoses.
  4. We were originally thinking of drilling a hole through the top of the rad support and extending the filler cap neck about 1.5 inches (see picture below). We decided instead to incorporate the filler cap on the hose eliminating the need for the a filler cap on the rad.
Attachment 511421
That engine bay is dead sexy. WOW
Old 05-19-2013, 12:24 AM   #2085
Moreno1

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to introduce myself.. some of you may know me from the pictures, I am Justin, Nathan's brother. Nathan suggested that I make an account here to post along in the project threads, so I did

I will try to help Nathan out a little bit by helping with the project updates, asking/answering questions, and just joining in on the fun here!

I have followed this thread as everyone has been posting so I'm familiar with all of you regular addicts LOL. It will be fun hanging out with you all.

Justin
Old 05-19-2013, 12:47 AM   #2086
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Welcome Justin! It's good to know somebody is there with Nathan in case he goes overboard and does something extreme.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote