Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: What is your opinion of the Mustang?
Hate it. Plain and simple. 11 7.19%
Improvement... but not my cup of Tea 27 17.65%
Love it, its my next car. 25 16.34%
Its cool, but its not a Camaro. 90 58.82%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 08:52 PM   #2227
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
The irony is...3 years ago...we KNEW the Camaro would beat the 'stang...we just didn't know by how much....now the tables are turned...and as far as I'm concerned, the competition is going to be a dead-heat.

Love it!!! Why? Because while we're doing this....on the flip side, there are Volts, and Teslas to get the fuel-efficiency 'enthusiasts' excited....everyone's happy!!!
Old 10-30-2009, 09:01 PM   #2228
2Tightwads
Banned

Drives: 2002 LS1 swapped into a 1994 Z
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo View Post
id like to see some real numbers of the 2011 GT vs the 2010 SS
How about an 1998 GM LS1 vs. a 2011 Ford 3 Valve 4.7L...(Fair fight? Probably doubtful even then...) lol
Old 10-30-2009, 09:03 PM   #2229
meanmike
Account Suspended

Drives: FIRST ON RACE DAY
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tightwads View Post
How about an 1998 GM LS1 vs. a 2011 Ford 3 Valve 4.7L...(Fair fight? Probably doubtful even then...) lol
I think you mean the 5.0 with 400 or so hp.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:03 PM   #2230
returnofcc
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tightwads View Post
Even GM's V6 with a few light mods could give these things a run for their money.

2010 FORD Mustang 4.6L V8 Engine
The 4.6-liter three-valve V8 engine for New 2010 Mustang benefits from horsepower gains (up to the present 315hp with 325 lb.-ft. of torque) achieved by the addition of a cold-air induction system pioneered through Ford Racing Technology. The intake is tucked behind the driver-side headlamp, mounted in an air box that’s specific to the Mustang. Extensive sealing modifications ensure cold air from the front of the Mustang feed the engine. The redline for the V8 engine is increased 250 rpm to 6,500 for 2010, and revised calibration ensures the customer fully feels these changes. What’s more, the 4.6-liter, three-valve SOHC V-8 engine is the most-accessorized engine in the marketplace. The engine is mated to a smooth-moving standard five-speed manual transmission. A responsive, tight, five-speed automatic transmission is also available.
Uh, no, a v6 wouldn't even come close to the mustang gt. You're forgetting that the mustang is over 300 pounds lighter. But nice try anyways...
Camaro v6 runs quarter mile in 14.4 seconds at 98.3 mph.
Mustang gt runs quarter mile in 13.5 seconds at 104.2mph
Old 10-30-2009, 09:19 PM   #2231
BOETIE

Drives: 2010 2SS 6 Speed Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
You know these SS's are running high 12's stock right? The GT
is not even close to that. End of story. SS wins. Again!
Both cars with sum tuning and a few mods are and will be very competitive,I had a chance to buy a 09 GT500 about two months ago for about 45 grand...it was white with blue stripes....if it had been another color I may very well have bought it.

I have a buddy that owns a performance shop....he works on both of them and is excellent.I have seen both beasts on the treadmill...the SS Camaro that was last produced and the comparable GTs and Cobras...they all can be extremely bad as hell....the newer mustang rear suspension is killer,its true drag suspension and produces great traction especially with drag radials.
The 2010 mustang has been killed body wise,the tail lights suck,they just ruined the mustang this year,just my opinion....
The LS3 is really undertuned in the new SS,thats what my buddy just told me two days ago...he said easily thirty hp in tune alone.
It will be fun,it always is !
Old 10-31-2009, 04:08 PM   #2232
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr CLuTcH View Post
Hi guys, let me first start out by saying I am one proud 2010 Camaro SS owner since the 23rd of this month. This was my first car purchase, and it feels totally amazing and....orgasmic, to just own this car. Now simply because I own just a Camaro doesn't mean I haven't driven other cars, which brings me to the point of this topic. Now, I'll try not to be bias even though I'm an owner of an SS; let's be objective. Well, I have a L99 engine, I've been running it pretty hard and it's power doesn't seem to have been tapped yet, it seems as if it only gets faster. Anyway, just yesterday, I was driving home from work on a fairly empty road, 2-3 cars at the most on this practically long strip of straight road, when all of a sudden a 2010 Mustang pulled along side me.

I was doing cruise control at 60 just listening to my music, chillin, the mustang pulls aside me at the same speed and then I just look over like "hi". The guy is looking over at me smiling,so Im like ok, thx ignore. So I keep driving 60 and he didn't want to leave me alone! I mean, he rode with me at 60 neck and neck for 5 minutes or so. At that point I look over and am like "dude wtf?". After that he kinda pulls ahead of me a little then slows down,....I took the hint, he was challenging me. LoL, I changed my music and was like "lets go!".

I put the car in competitive mode, and looked over and the guy honked his horn and floored it. And when he did that, I tried to put my foot through the floor of my car. Guys, this car just glued me to the seat and took off within a flash and quickly passed this mustang. I passed him sooo FAST. My god. I totally disappeared from view. I mean, we were only neck and neck for 2 seconds after I floored it then I vanished. I say, the SS destroys that car, but what do you guys think? Did I just get lucky or did he actually stand a chance in hell?

I mean to you guys, unbias, which is the all around better car performance wise?

I'm not talking about the ton of bells and whistles that come inside the interior of the cars, who cares? I'm more simple and performance oriented. Which has a better engine and maneuverability?

I talked to many mustang lovers telling me the 2010 Ford would trump an SS in a race, for some reason I find that hard to believe,which is why I'd like you guys opinion.

What's you opinion based upon your experience of the two cars vs one another?

STOCK VS STOCK.
No one cares if Ford or Chevy owned one another during the 80s or 90s,....this thread is focusing on the present.

2010 Camaro SS (manual LS3/auto L99) $33,935, Vs 2010 Mustang GT PREMIUM(v8) $30,995.

Keep the GT500 out of this, if you want to talk about that fella compare it to Hennessey's car. :-)

Thank you all guys, I hope to hear some interesting opinions.
First, do not street race. Let him be a jackass if he wants to be.

Secondly, the Camaro's huge acceleration advantage (and slight braking advantage) trumps the mustangs moderate handling advantage when talking about who can go around a track faster. If the Mustang doesn't have a track pack then it essentially has no advantage. Read this article, I'm pretty sure its exactly what you were wondering about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by returnofcc View Post
Uh, no, a v6 wouldn't even come close to the mustang gt. You're forgetting that the mustang is over 300 pounds lighter. But nice try anyways...
Camaro v6 runs quarter mile in 14.4 seconds at 98.3 mph.
Mustang gt runs quarter mile in 13.5 seconds at 104.2mph
Not to mention torque ... the V6 in the Camaro is good, but it would need to have around 350 or more at the crank to keep up with the current Mustang GT in a straight line, let alone around a course.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 10-31-2009, 04:13 PM   #2233
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
Quote:
The Camaro is basically a man who did 10 years in prison and kept his manhood,....and got out. 426 horses? Yeah.

Indpowr, I'm interested now since you brought up suspension, considering what you own, I assume you know a great deal about the 2 cars, I'm wondering, what suggestions do you have of aftermarkets parts which could get the camaro to ride as if your on a magic carpet. I'm talking, what could give this car an incredibly smooth ride, yet the ability to maintain good aerodynamics like a vett? Would you get the car lowered or something along those lines?
Well, the Camaro will never be a Corvette. Its 100% different car. If you have never been in one its very hard to explain.

Anytime you add susspension to a car you will change how it rides. The magic carpet ride your speaking of to me is a glide across the air, smooth, do not feel the road. If that is the case stay stock.

Now, lowering with coils, it stiffens up the right and gives you tighter steering. You do feel the road more.

Coilovers - the best but also most expensive. Rides nice and you can adjust it but your going to spend around 1800 for it.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:45 AM   #2234
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
A Camaro SS beats a Mustang GT, but for the price difference, you can mod the Mustang to meet or exceed. The Cobra beats the Camaro, but once again, you can mod the Camaro to beat the Cobra. Stock for stock, the Fords are cheaper but the Chevy's are faster. Either way, it keeps an American company in buisness.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:51 PM   #2235
Speed74SS

Drives: 2010 LPE 650+ CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by derklug View Post
A Camaro SS beats a Mustang GT, but for the price difference, you can mod the Mustang to meet or exceed. The Cobra beats the Camaro, but once again, you can mod the Camaro to beat the Cobra. Stock for stock, the Fords are cheaper but the Chevy's are faster. Either way, it keeps an American company in buisness.
That's one of the most simple best put statements I have heard in a long time.

2.55 Upper / 8.6 Lower / ID850's / Kooks Longtubes / New Era CAI
Old 11-01-2009, 12:54 PM   #2236
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by derklug View Post
I had no idea the Cobra was still in production ... GT500 maybe?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 11-01-2009, 01:20 PM   #2237
jrc1122

Drives: 2012 Mustang GT
Modifications and money should never come into these conversations.

Like any good science project- When testing two objects it is best to do it in normal form, Once you add a variable to one, you must add an equal variable to the other.

Then the lines are blurred and a true comparison is harder to make.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:42 PM   #2238
meanmike
Account Suspended

Drives: FIRST ON RACE DAY
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I had no idea the Cobra was still in production ... GT500 maybe?
I believe it's still considered a Cobra. I mean it does have Cobra badging.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:56 PM   #2239
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc1122 View Post
Modifications and money should never come into these conversations.
particularly when the OP says this:

Quote:

STOCK VS STOCK.
No one cares if Ford or Chevy owned one another during the 80s or 90s,....this thread is focusing on the present.

2010 Camaro SS (manual LS3/auto L99) $33,935, Vs 2010 Mustang GT PREMIUM(v8) $30,995.

Keep the GT500 out of this, if you want to talk about that fella compare it to Hennessey's car. :-)
He makes it pretty clear what exactly he is comparing here. At that price it doesn't include the track pack, so 2 grand isn't going to buy someone enough to beat an SS.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 11-01-2009, 02:28 PM   #2240
fredm

Drives: Fast
I thought they were going to put the eco-boost in the new mustang V6? Direct injection

Closed Thread