Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 11-03-2008, 07:57 AM   #15
Shifty 6

Drives: 2010 GTI
[QUOTE=Dom;178027]Thanks for the quotes from their marketing department. It's common knowledge blank rotor is by far the best. This topic has been beat to death.

[QUOTE]

Let me start by saying, I'm no engineer, however I try to look at what other engineers are doing, and most of the time it makes sense to me. So my question is...If it is common knowledge, why is every performance rotor out there from cars to motorcycles at least drilled?

Since the first car was raced we look at what the racing industry is doing for their performance enhancements. They do not look at what is being done on street cars to improve the race car. For example, "mag" wheels are on street cars because the racing industry found it was better for performance only, they had NO interest in appearances. The fact that it looked batter was the least of their concerns. A few years ago, I wanted to make an upgrade to my motorcycle (I can't even recall what it was), and a good friend told me "not to waste my money...look at what the racing industry is doing". Let's fast forward to today, every race car I have seen, with the exception of carbon rotors and even some of them, have drilled rotors. Why have they not caught on to these "common knowledge" concepts that are so easily grasped? I understand racing is a different arena, however the debate was whether drilled or slotted was better, and it clearly is. That margin of superiority may be quite small, but, again that was not the question.

As a side note: it looked like in one of the videos from SEMA, the brake upgrade was for a v6 car and was in the form of a 6 piston caliper, with larger rotors. I agree with most everyone, the 4 piston Brembos should be more than up to the task so there would be minimal gain in going to a 6 piston caliper.
Shifty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:47 AM   #16
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
What about the LS/LT models?

What do you guys think about there being a GMPP brake upgrade 'kit' (like 4/6-piston calipers, etc)? On the SEMA 'Black' concept (which is a V6 car), it mentioned a Brembo Brake system....think they'll sell this standalone?

(on a side note, does Brembo sell upgrade kits? I visited the Baer and the Brembo site...but only Baer seemed to offer full kits.)
Old 11-03-2008, 10:10 AM   #17
baileyrx

Drives: 2003 g35
race car needs are entirely different...

race cars can and do use NEW rotors every race, they are not concerned about long term anything, they want it to last 300,400 500miles tops, they also have brake pads that are 1 inch thick, use different compounds and will only last the same amount of time. NASCAR rotors are designed to get red hot and cool quickly(solid) if they had sloted or holes the surface would cool at different rates and warp them after 10 laps. So they wouldn't work for them.

BUT,

Street cars on the other hand have totally different needs. It has been proven that slotted, drilled or both reduce fade on street car that see track time. A simple comparison again woule be the Corvette. The base vette will get fade after just a couple of hot laps, the Z51 equipped vette doesnt. Technologhy has changed in the past 3 -4 years in terms of a better understanding of manafacturing techniques, materials and when its appropiate to use certian products.
Also quality drilled rotors use superior metal & will come with chamfered holes to basically eliminate stress cracks.

Anyway not to beat a dead horse (no horse modicon ) but lets agree to disagree?
baileyrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:38 AM   #18
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyrx View Post
(no horse modicon )

it's there.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:23 AM   #19
baileyrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post

it's there.
oh, thanks:bangdesk:
Old 11-04-2008, 11:46 PM   #20
gunslinger

Drives: 1998 Z28 M6
I believe that is a picture of the front of a ZR1 with Carbon Ceramic brakes.

EDIT: I HOPE GMPP offers a brake upgrade.

Although you may still be able to lock the tires up at 80 or 90 MPH with the stock brakes, the advantage of a larger rotor and pad surface area is extra heat absorption. True, they may not work as well at low temps(like any Road Race style pad) the number of times you can stop from 120+ MPH before the brakes fade is significantly increased(for VERY spirited canyon carving or HPDE/RR).

Not to mention they look bitchin'...
Old 11-05-2008, 11:54 AM   #21
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
I believe that is a picture of the front of a ZR1 with Carbon Ceramic brakes.

EDIT: I HOPE GMPP offers a brake upgrade.

Although you may still be able to lock the tires up at 80 or 90 MPH with the stock brakes, the advantage of a larger rotor and pad surface area is extra heat absorption. True, they may not work as well at low temps(like any Road Race style pad) the number of times you can stop from 120+ MPH before the brakes fade is significantly increased(for VERY spirited canyon carving or HPDE/RR).

Not to mention they look bitchin'...
There is no speed limit on locking the tires up, especially not with brakes like these (regular brakes can only grab so much, 4 piston Brembos can grab that thing hard easy over 100+), Once you nail the brakes while they wont lock immediately, once they scrub off enough for the pads to dig in, they will lock the tires within fractions of a second (then ABS turns on).

You can experience brake fade at 60 mph depending on how you are riding the brakes and how often you are hitting them, while normal driving 30 mph wont kill them, 60 with a lot of stops, hard braking can easily. Try autocrossing, you rarely reach speeds over 60 there, and I managed to get brake fade on my Z51 Vette (on the way to 2nd FTD so yeah I wasn't riding the brakes). Its how often and how hard you are on and off the brakes, as well as how quickly. A larger rotor will dissipate heat faster as it has more surface area, but you need more pad to effectively stop such a large disc....
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:51 AM   #22
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Not sure about the drilled and slotted rotors and whatnot - I'm not an engineer either - but it seems noteworthy to point out that the ZR1 recorded the fastest 60-0 (or was it 70-0?) stop Car and Driver had ever recorded.
- Xanthos

P.S. - I would buy the SS brake kit for my V6 if it was offered and I had the money. Then again, I also think they should offer the SS rear gears for the V6 through GMPP.

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:53 AM   #23
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
Not sure about the drilled and slotted rotors and whatnot - I'm not an engineer either - but it seems noteworthy to point out that the ZR1 recorded the fastest 60-0 (or was it 70-0?) stop Car and Driver had ever recorded.
- Xanthos

P.S. - I would buy the SS brake kit for my V6 if it was offered and I had the money. Then again, I also think they should offer the SS rear gears for the V6 through GMPP.
the zr1 uses Carbon ceramics that just for Calipers and Disks cost 8000 dollars
Old 11-06-2008, 07:30 AM   #24
baileyrx

is your avatar barfing smiles? very hypnotic...
Old 11-06-2008, 09:56 AM   #25
Rekt

Drives: Z34 370Z
I'm thinking of upgrading the brakes.
Rekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:22 AM   #26
nfamous209

Drives: 2002 Camaro z28
Send a message via AIM to nfamous209 Send a message via Yahoo to nfamous209
if n e thing, upgrade the lines to Stainless, and the pads to some hawks and it will be better. just those 2 alone will make a difference.
nfamous209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:20 PM   #27
CoolSS

Drives: '03 Monte Carlo SS
Check out these Baer calipers. They are six piston and much cleaner looking; no crossover line. And, they already have a kit for the G8 which I'm thinking must be pretty close to the Camaro's.

http://www.baer.com/
Old 11-07-2008, 11:57 PM   #28
ucla1ove3

Drives: soon to be 2010 CAMARO :]
im getting the v6 and i plan on upgrading to the brembo's once i get a couple thousand saved up so i could get a pretty decent set.
ucla1ove3 is offline   Reply With Quote