Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 10-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #15
turboguy327
Banned

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc1980 View Post
well first you have no idea what torque spec you are putting on each lug, lets see did i hold the trigger for 5 pulses or 7...second they tend to damage the lugs and round them out a bit or make the socket stick on the lug nut
I've been a tech for almost 10 years and never had a socket stick to a lug. And I know the torque of every lug I've tightened with my impact within 5-10 ft lbs. And I've never damaged a wheel.
turboguy327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:03 PM   #16
willc1980

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboguy327 View Post
I've been a tech for almost 10 years and never had a socket stick to a lug. And I know the torque of every lug I've tightened with my impact within 5-10 ft lbs. And I've never damaged a wheel.
i could walk outside and make the key socket for my gorilla lug nuts seize on it right now, thats why i dont use it....5-10 would be impressive considering my ingersol rand impact is only adjustable in 50ish lb increments, what impact is adjustable in 5lb increments? hey if hand torquing is good enough for Ferrari its good enough for my 1LE, mostly because i can actually afford a 1LE
willc1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #17
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #18
willc1980

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
lol.....its not possible cause it never happened to me!!!
willc1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #19
EarlyApex

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS 1LE
Quote:
The fact that you've done it wrong for ten years doesn't make it right.

If you snugged it up with the impact and then torqued to spec you would have done it correctly. The lugnut doesn't know if it is on a Chev, ford or Ferrari, they should all be torqued.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #20
turboguy327
Banned

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro
Goodyears from Discount Tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyApex View Post
The fact that you've done it wrong for ten years doesn't make it right.

If you snugged it up with the impact and then torqued to spec you would have done it correctly. The lugnut doesn't know if it is on a Chev, ford or Ferrari, they should all be torqued.
So using a torque stick/impact is the wrong way? Lmao. Its the flat rate way. And its also the best way. No calibration is ever required on a stick. It just works the same way every single time. You guys are acting like using a impact totals the car. It's a little crazy. It's a Chevy. It's not a high end car. These camaros are not collectible nor will they go up in value. They are Chevys and super common cars. You people need to calm down. That's why I love this forum. It's always great for a laugh.
turboguy327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #21
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
So using a torque stick/impact is the wrong way? Lmao. Its the flat rate way. And its also the best way. No calibration is ever required on a stick. It just works the same way every single time. You guys are acting like using a impact totals the car. It's a little crazy. It's a Chevy. It's not a high end car. These camaros are not collectible nor will they go up in value. They are Chevys and super common cars. You people need to calm down. That's why I love this forum. It's always great for a laugh.
Sounds like someone is trying to get the troops wound up but with mis- information. Being a flat rate tech for 10 years doesn't mean anything if you are not using the torque stick to crank the wheels on.

Here is a little torque stick 101 for you:

A torque stick is used with an air impact wrench to avoid over-tightening fasteners when installing wheels. Torque sticks work by flexing (like a torsion bar) when a torque limit is reached. When the stick flexes, it resists further tightening of the fastener. The thicker the torque sticks, the higher the torque to the fastener.

Torque sticks are useful, but they are no substitute for final torquing using a calibrated torque wrench.
The proper procedure for using a torque stick begins with hand-tightening the fasteners. Then use the proper torque stick on an impact gun to tighten the wheel until there is tension on the fasteners and the wheel pulls up tight. Lightly go over the fasteners again to tighten them a little more. Then tighten each fastener again until it stops moving. Then drop the vehicle to prevent the wheel from turning and use a torque wrench to do the final torquing.

There are some very important cautions when using torque sticks. First, they should not be used to get to anywhere near final torque. Select a torque stick rated for about 2/3 of the final torque and then finish the last 1/3 of the specified torque with a torque wrench. If the fasteners don’t move with a torque wrench before the click for final torque, there is a problem or the fastener has been over-tightened.

Many techs don’t realize that torque sticks are designed for a limited range of torque input. They must be used with an impact wrench, and if an impact tool with too high, or too low, of a setting is used, the torque stick will still over-torque the fasteners and may cause damage.

The impact gun must be set to a specific torque range and the air supply and pressure must remain constant. Also, different torque sticks often will require different impact wrench settings. It is unrealistic to expect a wrench/torque stick combination to be accurate without checking the impact wrench setting.

An impact wrench can be calibrated by first using a torque wrench to tighten a nut to the torque that matches the torque stick. Then, connect the air supply to the impact gun using an air regulator with repeatable settings. While using the torque stick, increase the air pressure to the impact wrench until the nut just moves. Reduce the air pressure slightly, and then tighten another nut. Verify the actual torque on the second nut with a torque wrench.

FYI: Many Camaros have gained value over the years.....it just takes 30-40 on average.

-Matt
Old 10-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #22
Crand

Drives: away the ladies :(
Send a message via AIM to Crand
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
From the look of the second pic, they didn't even remove all of the old adhesive when they removed the original weights.
No, they sure didn't. I had to peel it all off myself when I cleaned the wheels.

I'm running out of time today so I'll probably head over there tomorrow morning. A little googling turned up a company they contract with to fix such disasters. AWRS Wheel Repair claims to handle this for Discount with their mobile service. It's completely unreasonable to demand replacement since it's on the inside of the wheel but since you can see it directly, brining in somebody to sand those out and repaint the inside rim of the wheel is expected. I'll let you know how it goes.
Crand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #23
EarlyApex

Quote:
You're a HACK
Old 10-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #24
EarlyApex

Thanks for the information Dropspeed.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:24 PM   #25
Crand

Drives: away the ladies :(
Send a message via AIM to Crand
Quote:
It's a Chevy. It's not a high end car. These camaros are not collectible nor will they go up in value. They are Chevys and super common cars. You people need to calm down.
I don't like you.
Crand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #26
Vjc834

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Holy crap. A impact gun to tighten lug nuts!!! What is this world coming to??? How dare they make money and make sure your lugs are tight. Lol. What's wrong with using an impact on your camaro?? It's a Chevy not a Ferrari. It's nothing special. Lol. What's the big deal?
You are supposed to tighten the lug nuts to 110 lb. of torque or you can crack the wheels. You can almost loosen them with one hand.
Vjc834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #27
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyApex View Post
Thanks for the information Dropspeed.
N/P. But I didn't write all that. I grabbed it from a reputable website.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #28
delphigto

Drives: 14 1le
Discount will fix the wheel. A good friend of mine had a set of forgelines and they scratched it and bought him a new wheel.
10 2ss ERL 427 530 rwhp sold
14 1ss 1le
delphigto is offline   Reply With Quote