Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-25-2010, 12:22 PM   #15
2SSARMY
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooneRS View Post
do you go to thundervalley?
Yes.
2SSARMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:23 PM   #16
2SSARMY
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sax1031 View Post
What were your 60fts on the slower times compared to two weeks ago when you were running 13.5s?

Was their a mph difference that was significant between the two?
60ft were 2.2~, when I was running 13.5~ I was getting about 2.1~

MPH dropped. I was hitting 102-103, when two weeks ago I was hitting 104-106
Old 04-25-2010, 07:29 PM   #17
Dack

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Dack
I'm not sure how it affects fifth Gen Camaros but on my 94 Z I gutted the cat and put a Magnaflow cat-back on it (which was only a two-chamber muffler) and it seemed to add power because it could flow better. Now, not sure how that goes on a 5th Gen but I'm about to find out by getting a muffler delete and a Magnaflow X-pipe...

Gotta pay for a hit and run accident first however.... sadly...
Dack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:26 PM   #18
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Muffler delete shouldn't make you lose any power. Have you ever seen a picture of the stock mufflers chopped open? All it is is a giant metal can wrapped around the pipe.\

I am betting it's the track/driver, not the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:13 PM   #19
2SSARMY
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
Muffler delete shouldn't make you lose any power. Have you ever seen a picture of the stock mufflers chopped open? All it is is a giant metal can wrapped around the pipe.\

I am betting it's the track/driver, not the car.
It's actually a 12 piece European system. Not just metal wrapped around the pipe. It's much much more complicated than that....
Old 04-25-2010, 09:21 PM   #20
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSARMY View Post
It's actually a 12 piece European system. Not just metal wrapped around the pipe. It's much much more complicated than that....
How so? I see a can wrapped around straight through piping. When you remove the mufflers bascially all you are doing is removing those giant cans and leaving the straight through pipe. I agree with the post that said it should not affect back pressure. I don't see how it could as the cans are not adding any pressure, but only for sound control. The system might be complicated for the sound GM wanted, but for back pressure I don't see it.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:24 PM   #21
1badtie

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
hmmm too late for me i already chopped them off... i wonder if replacing the straight piping with some flows would help?
1badtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:24 PM   #22
2SSARMY
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
How so? I see a can wrapped around straight through piping. When you remove the mufflers bascially all you are doing is removing those giant cans and leaving the straight through pipe. I agree with the post that said it should not affect back pressure. I don't see how it could as the cans are not adding any pressure, but only for sound control. The system might be complicated for the sound GM wanted, but for back pressure I don't see it.
It's what my muffler guy who has worked on 30+ camaros said. He said it's a European design with 12 different components to it. I highly doubt it's a 15lb piece of metal around a pipe.

Think about it, they're so big lots of air builds up and is released through the stock pipe... When you remove the air build up you remove some pressure that is thrusting you forward.... (Again I have no idea if this is true, thus why I made the thread, but I am only assuming on my times)

Even on my worst days I will have a run in 13.6~, I couldn't get under 13.9 and my MPH dropped 2-3.... I'm just assuming.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:30 PM   #23
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Think about it, they're so big lots of air builds up and is released through the stock pipe... When you remove the air build up you remove some pressure that is thrusting you forward.... .
I just don't see any air build up since the pipe runs straight through. There is no exhaust being put in to the can so to speak, it goes straight out through the pipe. I've never heard of pressure thrusting the car forward.
I am by no means an expert in this field, so if I'm way off I'm all ears to whomever can show me the light.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:33 PM   #24
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue

I'm a new v6 owner looking for an economical axel back exhaust upgrade that gives this engine a little growl. Suggestions??? stlrammer@charter.net
Old 04-25-2010, 10:11 PM   #25
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
It's what my muffler guy who has worked on 30+ camaros said. He said it's a European design with 12 different components to it. I highly doubt it's a 15lb piece of metal around a pipe.

Think about it, they're so big lots of air builds up and is released through the stock pipe... When you remove the air build up you remove some pressure that is thrusting you forward.... (Again I have no idea if this is true, thus why I made the thread, but I am only assuming on my times)

Even on my worst days I will have a run in 13.6~, I couldn't get under 13.9 and my MPH dropped 2-3.... I'm just assuming.
It's a muffler, not a turbine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:12 PM   #26
2SSARMY
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
It's a muffler, not a turbine.
No my mufflers are special turbines :P

Just ignore me from now on... lol
Old 04-25-2010, 10:28 PM   #27
Caliman93230

Drives: LS3S/C
Quote:

Think about it, they're so big lots of air builds up and is released through the stock pipe... When you remove the air build up you remove some pressure that is thrusting you forward.... .
lol put a potato in the exhaust that would give you back pressure
Old 04-25-2010, 11:29 PM   #28
hairtrigger

Drives: 69 Chevelle SS396 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
I just don't see any air build up since the pipe runs straight through. There is no exhaust being put in to the can so to speak, it goes straight out through the pipe. I've never heard of pressure thrusting the car forward.
I am by no means an expert in this field, so if I'm way off I'm all ears to whomever can show me the light.

You can see the perforations in the pipe and the carbon inside the opened muffler so it isn't just a pipe through a can.
hairtrigger is offline   Reply With Quote