Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-19-2009, 11:39 PM   #15
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
On second thought yes sure when can I put my deposit down for one of those? Think of many of those who have already spent thousands of dollars putting maggies or turbos on their cars just to get that seat of the pants feel..I say that same feeling or better would be in a 2800-3000lb camaro with less horsepower than supercharged, better gas mileage and better handling? So I ask again, where do I put my deposit down?
whoa whoa whoa

2800 lbs? 3000 lbs? They saved about 250 lbs from the steel chassis of the base corvette when going to the aluminum one on the Z06. It gained some weight back with more rugged drive train and suspension components. There is absolutely no way you could lose 1000 lbs off the Camaro that way. It might be 350 max since there is more steel in the Camaro than the Corvette. Even if they completely gutted the interior and removed the AC, stereo, and everything non-essential to operating the vehicle while replacing every possible ounce of steel with aluminum or fibreglass (or carbon fibre) then I still don't think it would get below 3000 lbs.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:52 PM   #16
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
I understand that Aluminum is basically a 3 to 1 weight ratio to steel, and to account for that the aluminum is not at rigid per se and there would be a need for extra aluminum for added strucural integrity, but there is a "ton" so to speak more steel in a camaro than there is a corvette, not really a good comparison in my opinion. Not trying to bark up the wrong tree here, maybe not exactly 1000 lbs but 6-800 lbs definitely seems realistic to me, maybe more. This is a Z28 right who needs all that other fancy stuff you speak about?
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:17 AM   #17
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
I understand that Aluminum is basically a 3 to 1 weight ratio to steel, and to account for that the aluminum is not at rigid per se and there would be a need for extra aluminum for added strucural integrity, but there is a "ton" so to speak more steel in a camaro than there is a corvette, not really a good comparison in my opinion. Not trying to bark up the wrong tree here, maybe not exactly 1000 lbs but 6-800 lbs definitely seems realistic to me, maybe more. This is a Z28 right who needs all that other fancy stuff you speak about?
The Z06 is a smaller 2 seater with a lightweight suspension design, balsa wood/carbon fibre composite floor, fibreglass body, light weight wheels, and an aluminum chassis. It weighs 3200 lbs. No way can a factory built Camaro approach that. Its unibody construction limits the amount of fibreglass that can be used compared to the spaceframe design of the Corvette. It would be aluminum skinned at best, which is heavier than FG. You also have a 425 lb engine, fluids, the transmission, suspension, and a whole bunch of other stuff that can't really go down in weight.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:13 AM   #18
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
The Z06 is a smaller 2 seater with a lightweight suspension design, balsa wood/carbon fibre composite floor, fibreglass body, light weight wheels, and an aluminum chassis. It weighs 3200 lbs. No way can a factory built Camaro approach that. Its unibody construction limits the amount of fibreglass that can be used compared to the spaceframe design of the Corvette. It would be aluminum skinned at best, which is heavier than FG. You also have a 425 lb engine, fluids, the transmission, suspension, and a whole bunch of other stuff that can't really go down in weight.
I've toyed with this, actually...no hard numbers or anything...but I sat down one day and took into account EVERYTHING in the car and compared the Corvette's net weight savings to the Camaro...NO MORE than 400lbs would be saved, and that's a very generous amount. The two cars are constructed completely differently, and that's the key to why it works in the Corvette and not the Camaro...

I don't have time right now, but if somebody's bored:
Look up the Aston Martin DB9. At least I think that's it. It's the closest thing to the Camaro on the market in terms of size, body structure, and suspension, and it it also one of the few unibody cars I know of that employs the use of aluminum...it didn't always, though. So look up what year they switched to aluminum...then compare that year's weight to the weight of the previous year's car. The results will be "enlightning".

I for one, would NOT be willing to pay Z06 money just to save a measley 300-400 lbs. I'd rather spend 2 grand on an exhaust system and add the equivilant 40hp. .