Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-20-2008, 11:11 AM   #15
StarkyLuv
Future 5th Gen Owner

Drives: 2006 Chevy Equinox AWD/LT
Look, if there's ice on the ground, every single car in existence is a bitch to drive in winter. The only thing a car can do for you is having effective all-wheel drive, anti-lock breaks and stability control.

Everything else is tires, ability of the driver and the most important factor OTHER DRIVERS.

If there's ice, any car can slip and lose control. The trick is knowing how to handle a slide. Other than that, SLOW DOWN. NEVER tailgate another car and never try to drive through snow drifts (even small ones). If your local roads aren't plowed/salted, stay home.

There's no science to winter driving. Just common-sense, patience and luck.
StarkyLuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 02:06 PM   #16
Th3Nigh7Stalk3r

Drives: 1991 Caprice
If I decide to just put it away for the winter(99% chance), then I will just store it in a storage unit and pay the monthly fee. Because there is NO WAY that I am going to be able to store it in my garage. Since my garage has so much sh*t in it right now I can barely fit my yaris in it. And my mom won't touch or move anything. So is that my best bet? Either getting these blizzaks or storing it??? And btw, how much would the blizzaks be for all 4 wheels or 2 just for the rear??
Th3Nigh7Stalk3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 03:46 PM   #17
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshocker6969 View Post
i was pondering driving it in the winter also, but to my knowledge a block heater isn't an option on the LS3 so there would be some cold mornings... anyone hear otherwise??
You can buy 3rd party block heaters. They have one with a magnet that sticks on the side. Not really the best solution but it can get er' done.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:29 PM   #18
JMAN311

Drives: 2013 F-150 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshocker6969 View Post
i was pondering driving it in the winter also, but to my knowledge a block heater isn't an option on the LS3 so there would be some cold mornings... anyone hear otherwise??
I've never had any issues with the LS1 cars I've had starting in the winter where I live. There have been plenty of sub zero mornings that they always fired up with no problems.

As far as the winter driving to me it's easier to drive a RWD car in the snow than a FWD. I've just had more experience with RWD in winter so to me they are easier and more predicable with how they handle, especially when turning. I've never been in any type of fender bender in the winter (or summer for that matter). And the only time I've put a car on the sidewalk was the first time I tried to drive a FWD car in the snow, LOL. I think the best advise given is to just take your time, slow things down and find a safe empty parking lot to get a feel for how it is when you lose traction while turning.

The only real annoying/pain in the a$$ part about driving in the snow is getting traction going forward again after you stop. (especially if the snow is really loose, like after it's starting melting, the slushy stuff is the worst). If you have the 6pd manual it's always been easier for me to drive with the traction control off and always start from 2nd gear from a dead stop.
JMAN311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 05:16 PM   #19
LS3SSRS

Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
You can buy 3rd party block heaters. They have one with a magnet that sticks on the side. Not really the best solution but it can get er' done.
I like your style. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAN311 View Post
I've never had any issues with the LS1 cars I've had starting in the winter where I live. There have been plenty of sub zero mornings that they always fired up with no problems.
i live in canada... so it gets really cold, like right now, the high today hit -26C... or -15F. its supposed to be 10 degrees colder overnight, so i really would like a block heater. i have a garage but its not heated... yet... maybe my best option is to run a gas line to the garage and get it heated by next year.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:01 PM   #20
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Nigh7Stalk3r View Post
Ok, since this will be my first car, I will most likely be driving it in the winter. Now I probably won't put any all-season tire's on it right off the bat, so if next winter is ANYTHING like the past week I am in trouble. We got 9"+ today and were snowed in. Now what do I do if that happens next year??
There are a few threads on this already. Search for them and you should be able to get a lot more information than what has already been mentioned here.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 04:22 PM   #21
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Well... If it's anything like my GTO, I would imagine it will be fine in the winter. I dont know about pushing 9" of snow, but if the roads are plowed, and you're driving on packed snow or ice, I think it would be fine.

My old 94 Z28 was a pretty hairy ride in the snow! With no traction control what so ever, you really had to be on your game. Like the post above says, light on the gas, and light on the brake. Although I admit, I do love driving in the winter, I do worry about the other people, not so much myself...

I've been waiting for months to see how the GTO does in snow/ice, and I'm very impressed. If the rear end starts to come around at all, the traction control straightens it out if able... It's a heavier car, than my 94 was, so I'm sure that helps, but don't let traction control give you a sense of false security. Keep your head on straight and you shouldn't have a problem.

Winter beater is always a great idea... I have a general beater, but I've been forced to drive the gto as the beater broke down. It's am 82 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Diesel. Get's 25+ mpg in town, but unfortunately the starter took a dump, and half the glow plugs are burnt out. I'm workin on it.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:35 PM   #22
camarosc35

Drives: 1989 Camaro RS (435+hp, 435 lb./ft)
I drove a 69 Camaro through 10 winters, I have a '77 Firebird now and with the first storm, and really the first true ride of car as was getting it on road, my old Camaro winter driving instincts took over when I had a yellow light, knew exactly how to slide (not drive) my car ahead of the oncoming traffic. Did it again, second nature and RWD is better that FWD, too. Yeah, takes experience, caution, if it is too bad outside no vehicle is any good (been in 4-wheelers, AWD, skidded all over the place useless), but don't believe the myth like the guy who told me his son is keeping his six-banger '95 Camaro in a garage for the winter! I am 40 miles from Canada and already shoveled a couple of times today alone in the zero weather so I know what you are all talking about.
camarosc35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:49 PM   #23
DerbyChamp06

Drives: 13' RAM 1500 4x4
I drove 78' Camaro for 10 years, and fortunately only ended up in the ditch once.....Boy, was I lucky......Ended up between a light pole and huge utility box, and was able to drive out of the shallow ditch without a scratch....If my dreams fullfilled to buy the new Camaro-a car I want to have for rest of my driving days , I REALLY want to garage in the winter, and buy beater car. The new Camaro just seems too cool to be subjected to the abuse winter weather/road conditions dish out.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:03 PM   #24
Flighttester

Drives: 2008 Audi A4 3.2 MT S Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Nigh7Stalk3r View Post
Ok, since this will be my first car, I will most likely be driving it in the winter. Now I probably won't put any all-season tire's on it right off the bat, so if next winter is ANYTHING like the past week I am in trouble. We got 9"+ today and were snowed in. Now what do I do if that happens next year??

If you get significant snow where you drive, you really don't want summer tires on a Camaro or anything else. I grew up in Illinois and I have a few cars.

If we get snow, the Miata (with the performance tires) gets parked for the duration and I drive the big 'ol pickup or the wife's Audi quattro.

If you have only one car, get all-seasons or a dedicated set of winter tires.

For your own good and those on the road with you.
Flighttester is offline   Reply With Quote