Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-20-2008, 01:29 AM   #1
Th3Nigh7Stalk3r

Drives: 1991 Caprice
Driving camaro in the winter...

Ok, since this will be my first car, I will most likely be driving it in the winter. Now I probably won't put any all-season tire's on it right off the bat, so if next winter is ANYTHING like the past week I am in trouble. We got 9"+ today and were snowed in. Now what do I do if that happens next year??
Th3Nigh7Stalk3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:52 AM   #2
diddiyo

Drives: .
a) blizzaks + 200lbs kitty litter in the trunk
b) winter beater
diddiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:00 AM   #3
Matrix

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS & Magnum R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Nigh7Stalk3r View Post
Ok, since this will be my first car, I will most likely be driving it in the winter. Now I probably won't put any all-season tire's on it right off the bat, so if next winter is ANYTHING like the past week I am in trouble. We got 9"+ today and were snowed in. Now what do I do if that happens next year??
I drive my Magnum in the winter, I have blizzaks and they are awesome compared to all seasons, BUT the ride is scary!!! Anything rear wheel drive is scary in winter. Thank GOD for the ESP on the Magnums, it has saved my Life many times, I truly mean that!! Even with winters on, Ive been stuck many times on the roads.

There is NO WAY, I intend to drive the Camaro in the winter and for that reason have made a painful decision, that almost makes me cry when I think about it. In order to have the Camaro (for summer only) I have to sell the Magnum and buy a truck for winter.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:34 AM   #4
XAnimal
Just in time

Drives: MRAP, M-1151 (Humvee)
Send a message via AIM to XAnimal
ESP? I'll be pickup up my camaro in GA and then back to Colorado where I'm stationed, will Try and find a winter beater once back there but any tips if unable....?

Driving tips that is

I'M HOME from Iraq, can't wait for my Black on Black 2LT RS 2010 Camaro
XAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:59 AM   #5
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XAnimal View Post
ESP? I'll be pickup up my camaro in GA and then back to Colorado where I'm stationed, will Try and find a winter beater once back there but any tips if unable....?

Driving tips that is
Don't be afraid of driving your Camaro in the winter... all you need is some good winter tires, a bit of an attitude adjustment and a few basic skills that are not hard to learn. Heck, I learned to drive in the mid-60's when everything was RWD, and there were no electronic helpers.... and I had a really steep driveway!

So...
a) go a lot slower on ice or snow - especially when going down steep hills. You probably won't have a choice when going up steep hills.
b) leave way-y-y-y more room between you and the guy in front.
c) make sure the guy behind you is doing the same - otherwise, let him pass, so he can smash into somebody else, rather than you!
d) use a light foot on the gas and a light foot on the brake to avoid skidding or spinning your wheels. Smooth and gradual steering inputs will help avoid skidding as well.
e) if you do get bogged down in the snow, keep your wheels straight, not turned and learn how to "rock" your car out of the snow (much easier with automatic, but it doesn't take long to get the timing down and the hang of it with a manual!)
f) find an empty parking lot and go play! Learn the car's limits and capabilities so there are no surprises. See what the car will do when you hammer the gas with the wheels turned, slam on the brakes, pull up on the handbrake, keep your foot on the gas and brake at the same time while your wheels are turned. You can make the car do things on ice or snow that you'd probably never do on pavement (at least not on purpose!). Doing donuts in the snow is fun! Knowing how to do some of these manouvres just might end up saving your bacon in an emergency situation!
g) remember that ABS will not shorten stopping distances on ice or snow - it's designed to keep you going where you're pointed, instead of skidding off the road. ABS will actually increase stopping distances in snow, as it will prevent a build-up of snow in front of the wheels with its pumping action, thereby reducing friction between the wheels and the ground. Without the pumping action, a wall of snow would build up in front of the wheels, helping to slow you down.
h) and then after you've learned these techniques, and driving on snow and ice becomes 2nd nature, then it's time to take up Ice Racing, but not in your Camaro!

Best regardSS,

Elie
Old 12-20-2008, 09:34 AM   #6
XAnimal
Just in time

Ice Racing lol...Thanks for the tips

Old 12-20-2008, 09:55 AM   #7
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Be very careful doing donuts in an icy parking lot. If hit a dry patch you're going to damage your drive line.
SSOOCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:00 AM   #8
FirstLSK
Dude, I love my car !!!!

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS white rally
Move to a more habitable place in the world. Man was not made to live in the arctic tundra.

Other than that, a conversion kit like this for your Camaro would do the job:

FirstLSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:08 AM   #9
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
We've come to the conclusion in previous threads that the Camaro will be able to handle in the winter months so long as the driver drives like there's snow and ice on the ground. That means that being careful is important.

This car has been tested in very snowy weather. It should be fine.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:20 AM   #10
fixxer56
Thin Blue Line

Drives: ABM 2LT/RS #10094
Send a message via AIM to fixxer56
What size winter tires would be recommended for the camaro 2LT RS?
Old 12-20-2008, 10:35 AM   #11
nonsensez9

Drives: 05 mustang gt
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxer56 View Post
What size winter tires would be recommended for the camaro 2LT RS?
as narrow as can fit. I'd try to find some cheapo rims, too, about 7 inches wide
nonsensez9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:42 AM   #12
XAnimal
Just in time

Well Thanks for the tips I'm from GA so not alot of snow and before this depolyment I was driving a beater taurus around and didn't care

Old 12-20-2008, 10:53 AM   #13
LS3SSRS

Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS
i was pondering driving it in the winter also, but to my knowledge a block heater isn't an option on the LS3 so there would be some cold mornings... anyone hear otherwise??
Old 12-20-2008, 11:10 AM   #14
blackedoutss

Drives: nothin
im in nc. if it snows i wont drive my car in it. no if's and's or but's! no way no how! i dont even know if ill drive it in the rain. i might just have to steal the wifes car.
blackedoutss is offline   Reply With Quote