Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-12-2013, 07:07 AM   #15
lawdog

Drives: 2010 SSII w RS & Sunroof Yellow
Depends on your driving habits and your daily drive, if it's a daily driver and you are stuck in stop and go, get the automatic. you have the paddle shifters and they are so responsive. if you don't have city driving then you may like the manual. But I can tell you in the cornering, shifting through gears on that Camaro while steering through an intersection takes a little getting used to.
lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:18 AM   #16
Eich

Drives: '11 SW/Beige 2SS RS Manual
And note that if you plan on doing high-RPM shifts from 1st to 2nd, the transmission/clutch system in this car likes to refuse with an embarassing, ridiculous, annoying, GRIND.

I love manuals and had manual Corvettes for years. But I find the manual in this car very unsatisfying when it comes to getting out of the shoot in a hurry.

Everyone considering a manual should read the posts in the transmission section of the forum FIRST. There's somewhat of an aftermarket fix but results vary. I find it unbelieveable that 4 years into production, the issue is not being addressed by Chevrolet (and apparently other cars/manufacturers that are using this transmission):

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212552
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288096
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285842
Eich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:02 AM   #17
JOHNSONROD

Drives: 62 Chevy & 2021 1SS/1LE manual
if you plan to drag the car, get the auto. if you may do a track day on a RC, get the manual.
ive driven everything manual from an S-10 to a log truck but had never driven a modern hi horse car like the corvette or the camaro. it takes a little getting used to but you can do it.
if you decide to get the manual just go to several lots and do test drives. that will save your clutch on your new car. these clutches can get hot if you slip them too much.
grats on your new ride. its best when learning how to hold the rpm at around 2 grand and lift of the clutch smoothly without moving the throttle at all. most people who are learning have both pedals in and let them both out so the car stalls.
JOHNSONROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #18
Lombardi

Drives: 2010 ABM Camaro 1LT
You'll learn. When I bought my car it was hard for me. First standard car I ever owned. Only knew how to drive standard from driving other cars on the lot at my work. Let me tell you on the first few months I deff stalled a lot. The springiness of the hydraulic clutch is deff what got me. But after awhile it felt like a normal clutch to me.

It won't "wear in" after a whole tho. You just get used to it. I bought a 94 eagle talon 1.8 for a daily driver and gas mileage reasons and after driving the car for a couple weeks letting the camaro sit when I got back in the camaro it was like when I first bought it since I was used to the talon.

Ill tell you this. I would never get an automatic for a car like this (and mine is only a V6) just way to much fun. Only thing I hate is the once and awhile grind from second to third. But with my new pistol grip it seems to not do it as frequent.
Lombardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:30 AM   #19
Valkyrja
Shieldmaiden

Drives: 2014 Summit White 2LT/RS
It happens. After I had my clutch replaced in my Mazda I stalled her out a number of times before I became used to it. Same thing test driving. I did not stall the Camaro but I did stall the Genesis Coupe.
Valkyrja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #20
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree878 View Post
But the 1LE trans is geared much higher, so even with 3.91s, the drive ratio is higher than a SS with 3.45s
Common misconception.
Sorry, you mean geared lower. The higher the ratio, the lower the gear. Remember, 4:11s are pretty damn low, 5:32s for rock climbing are extremely low!

Sorry I misunderstood the post, you're correct. The tranny is geared higher.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!

Last edited by Wizard1183; 04-13-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #21
malave7567

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
I almost exclusively drive manual cars, and it took me a while to get used to the Camaro. Also, it seems to take some time for the clutch to break in nice too. You will get a little bit of burnt clutch smell for the first 1k-2k miles, even if you are shifting perfect. Seems common on these. Afterwards, it drives fine.

the springiness of the clutch pedal won't change though, as Lombardi said, that doesn't change. It's just a matter of getting used to it. Some members on here choose to get even stronger springs.
malave7567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #22
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
I have been driving my manual WS6 TransAm for almost 11 years, and feel very confident with it. When I first test drove a manual SS and a manual Corvette, I stalled them both. The clutch is much different than the one in the Pontiac. I have a new 1LE on the way, and expect to have some initial trouble getting used to the clutch, but in a few days, it will be no trouble at all. Your getting a sports car. Get the manual. You will not regret it!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #23
Baylor16

Drives: 06' 350z 6M, Future: 13' VR 1le 6M
I drive a 6m 350z everyday, city and highway, and it has a pretty aggressive clutch. I test drove a couple of 6m camaros (I wont get an auto) and it was different, took a little getting used to but I dont think it would ever become a problem.
Baylor16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #24
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eich View Post
And note that if you plan on doing high-RPM shifts from 1st to 2nd, the transmission/clutch system in this car likes to refuse with an embarassing, ridiculous, annoying, GRIND.

I love manuals and had manual Corvettes for years. But I find the manual in this car very unsatisfying when it comes to getting out of the shoot in a hurry.

Everyone considering a manual should read the posts in the transmission section of the forum FIRST. There's somewhat of an aftermarket fix but results vary. I find it unbelieveable that 4 years into production, the issue is not being addressed by Chevrolet (and apparently other cars/manufacturers that are using this transmission):

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212552
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288096
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285842
or get the 1LE... absolutely no 2nd gear grind
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #25
daytripper

Drives: IOM 2012 1SS m6
the clutch in my 2012 SS took some getting used to.The clutch in my new GT500 is even harder to deal with. Now when I drive my Camaro I find the clutch very user friendly. I guess you just get used to it. I also think if you drive a car daily it will be a lot easier and faster learning process. A lot of people remove the clutch return springs on both of these cars and seem pleased with the results.
Get the 6-speed,it's way more fun being in charge of whats happening.
daytripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #26
DrSkull

Drives: 13 Challenger RT & 89 GTA TA
boy they let you put money down already , I plan on getting a '14 also but I just got a email from a dealer saying he won't have any info on the 14's till June or July , that seems late too me ??
DrSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #27
Eich

Drives: '11 SW/Beige 2SS RS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
or get the 1LE... absolutely no 2nd gear grind
What about the 1LE eliminates the grind ? And can we retrofit it ?
Eich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:32 AM   #28
cadyshac
It's in the hole!

Drives: '11 2SS L99 SGM, '18 2SS, M6, HWSE
Test drive both cars again, maybe at a different stealership. If you have only driven each once your opinion may change the 2nd time.
cadyshac is offline   Reply With Quote