Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-03-2010, 08:04 AM   #15
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
THAT'S what I like to here!!!

Dare I ask...how are hyundai sales?

And Ford only surpassed GM in sales earlier this year due to fleet sales as well...but when that was brought up...it was okay....sales are sales, right?
And BMW was down
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:32 AM   #16
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
what did hummer sale. I read recently that hummer is on life support. . .for the time being. . .
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:39 AM   #17
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
what did hummer sale. I read recently that hummer is on life support. . .for the time being. . .
Sale didn't go through. Hummer's shut down, Shreveport Operations built the last H3s a few days ago.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:02 PM   #18
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Autoblog has been posting monthly numbers for years now. They list brand sales and total corporate sales, and include things like the daily sales rate.

Here's the link:
http://www.autoblog.com/category/by-the-numbers
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:21 PM   #19
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
...and Edmund's AutoObserver includes the very pertinent "incentives" data which, as always, proves you CAN buy "share"...

http://www.autoobserver.com/2010/06/...ates.html#more

Reminds me of an old joke: "They had to tie a porkchop around his neck to get the dog to play with him..."

Last edited by LOWDOWN; 06-04-2010 at 09:22 AM.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:30 PM   #20
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
...and Edmund's AutoObserver includes the very pertinent "incentives" data which, as always, proves you CAN buy "share"...

Reminds me of an old joke: "They had to tie a porkchop around his neck to get the dog to play with him..."
Link broken.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:42 PM   #21
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:

how are their incentives now vs a year ago?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 06-03-2010, 09:01 PM   #22
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
how are their incentives now vs a year ago?
Quote:
Compared with three years ago, the Japanese automakers have increased their incentives spending by 62 percent while domestic automakers are spending a mere seven percent more..
However, Domestics still spend a much larger amount of money on incentives than their foreign competition.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:53 AM   #23
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Link broken.
Restored:

Don't get me wrong...GM has truly done a fantastic job in the past 12 months. Much of that "operational modification" has come at a heavy price for us all. And there IS some more much-needed new product close at hand.

The REAL test will be met when incentives diminish to a level at/below Industry Average. At that point, profits/unit will dramatically improve as the perceived image of the product improves. Until then, with Industry-leading incentives, GM is still paddling against the current...and "public opinion"...

223,000 units X $1600 ($3700+[GM] - $2100+[Toyota]) is closing in on a BILLION DOLLARS...per MONTH...to buy an extra 60,000 units..."Top Domestic" vs. "Top Import"...

Higher oil prices, alone, would narrow that Sales gap...it always has, in the past...

Frankly, the dramatic numbers in Fleet, in some ways, shines a good light on GM. The economy, in many circles, shows signs of improvement, so Business is reinvesting...in new vehicles...and are once again considering GM... Is GM being too generous? To Fleets AND the general public?
Old 06-04-2010, 12:36 PM   #24
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Restored:

Don't get me wrong...GM has truly done a fantastic job in the past 12 months. Much of that "operational modification" has come at a heavy price for us all. And there IS some more much-needed new product close at hand.

The REAL test will be met when incentives diminish to a level at/below Industry Average. At that point, profits/unit will dramatically improve as the perceived image of the product improves. Until then, with Industry-leading incentives, GM is still paddling against the current...and "public opinion"...

223,000 units X $1600 ($3700+[GM] - $2100+[Toyota]) is closing in on a BILLION DOLLARS...per MONTH...to buy an extra 60,000 units..."Top Domestic" vs. "Top Import"...

Higher oil prices, alone, would narrow that Sales gap...it always has, in the past...

Frankly, the dramatic numbers in Fleet, in some ways, shines a good light on GM. The economy, in many circles, shows signs of improvement, so Business is reinvesting...in new vehicles...and are once again considering GM... Is GM being too generous? To Fleets AND the general public?
Assuming consumers don't smarten up and realize that many GM products get superior fuel economy to Toyotas.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 06-04-2010, 01:26 PM   #25
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Gibby, on another thread recently, someone with tongue in cheek suggested Toyota has/had the "greatest Marketing in the World" (I'm paraphrasing...).

Whether fact or fiction, GM MUST improve "image"...and MARKETING is definitely part of that. "Perception IS truth", goes the axiom. In '08, with gas @ $4.00+/gallon, where did people rush to? They dumped their Avalanches, in "avalanches", for Priuses, spending thou$and$ to save a few bucks on gas.

Pray that doesn't happen the "next time"...
Old 06-04-2010, 01:31 PM   #26
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Oh I know, I personally like the phrase "perception is more important than reality" but its all the same idea. And expecting consumers to get smarter is very wishful thinking. But, Toyota did take a big reputation hit because of quality/safety issues this year ... maybe people will be open to doing more research before buying cars and actually learn that certain myths are no longer true.

What can I say ... I'm a dreamer, lol

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 06-04-2010, 01:39 PM   #27
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Oh I know, I personally like the phrase "perception is more important than reality" but its all the same idea. And expecting consumers to get smarter is very wishful thinking. But, Toyota did take a big reputation hit because of quality/safety issues this year ... maybe people will be open to doing more research before buying cars and actually learn that certain myths are no longer true.

What can I say ... I'm a dreamer, lol

I'm hoping people will start doing the research for themselves, but I doubt that will happen. Most people are just too lazy to dig any deeper than what the commercials/salespeople tell them.
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:18 PM   #28
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I think they'll be fine, personally. It's all a matter of time at this point. They have the product, the cost structure, and the drive. They are incrementally gaining market share, Ford is too -- and between the two of them...I believe they'll be able to compete against the imports effectively.

I would agree GM needs improved marketing, even though I'm a fan of "May the Best car Win".