Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: Light em up or not?
Light them up on the first ride home? 69 26.95%
Wait for another day? 187 73.05%
Voters: 256. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-2008, 02:06 PM   #15
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Varies depending on who you talk to and the instruction manual but most people agree between 400-500 miles.
I have often heard that 500 miles is the key too. However, I once toured a auto manufacturing plant and the last thing they did to each car before they pulled it out of the plant was put the thing on a "mini dyno" and rip the thing through the gears. Guessing these particular cars hit top speeds of 80 MPH maybe higher. And they ran them for 5 minutes or so. What's up with that?
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:09 PM   #16
Georgie

Drives: Camaro... soon
i'd wait 500 but you can probably do it once or twice and it be fine before then
Georgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:15 PM   #17
camaro&T/A

Drives: '82 Z28 400SB
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaropete View Post
I have often heard that 500 miles is the key too. However, I once toured a auto manufacturing plant and the last thing they did to each car before they pulled it out of the plant was put the thing on a "mini dyno" and rip the thing through the gears. Guessing these particular cars hit top speeds of 80 MPH maybe higher. And they ran them for 5 minutes or so. What's up with that?
that's to make sure everything works properly.
camaro&T/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:19 PM   #18
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_2Many View Post
I have about a 400 mile drive home from San Fransisco to Los Angeles when I get mine....nice and broken in. Once I get home I'll mark my territory.
Are/have you found a dealer in 'Frisco? Hmm... Eh - I'm trying to commit to 'Scotty since he's been so helpful here

Quote:
I think this is a little different though, because it is my understanding you definately need to load the engine to seat the rings in but shocking the drivetrain with a clutch drop, or otherwise, is a little more taxing on the car than loading on a dyno'. I've read breaking an engine in on the dyno' is actually the best way to do it. However, don't forget you're breaking in a car, not just the engine

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:28 PM   #19
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Are/have you found a dealer in 'Frisco? Hmm... Eh - I'm trying to commit to 'Scotty since he's been so helpful here

I think this is a little different though, because it is my understanding you definately need to load the engine to seat the rings in but shocking the drivetrain with a clutch drop, or otherwise, is a little more taxing on the car than loading on a dyno'. I've read breaking an engine in on the dyno' is actually the best way to do it. However, don't forget you're breaking in a car, not just the engine
I'll buy that. I hate to admit that my wife might be right though.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:44 PM   #20
TomServo

Drives: 2007 Z06
The most famous words in the English language "Watch this".
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:13 PM   #21
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
I've been told that most companies break in the engine on a dyno and run it though the gears and vary rpm for 24 hours before it's ever installed. The 500 mile break in period is for everything else as you still have to break in the breaks, rotors, tranny, clutch and read end.
Mr_Draco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:55 PM   #22
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
that thing is going to move like a raped ape once I take delivery of it!!
SSOOCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:26 PM   #23
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
that thing is going to move like a raped ape once I take delivery of it!!
My wife just came into the room and asked why I was crying!
Old 10-31-2008, 04:34 PM   #24
camaros and vettes
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2008 Corvette
From what i have been told from guys who are GM techs, is break it in the way you will drive it. In doing so makes the parts more durable with age, since they have run that way from the start. So i will be turning them over in the parking lot!!! Ordered new set of goodyear F1's already.
camaros and vettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:44 PM   #25
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Call me overly safe, but I would make sure the engine, transmission, rearend and brakes are all properly broken in (usually up to 500 miles). During this time get to know the car. ALL cars react different. After 500, find a good open area to test braking, handling and then acceleration. After you pushed it to the limits in a safe environment and feel you know the limits of the car and your ability with it...

HAMMER THE CRAP OUT OF IT !!!
Old 10-31-2008, 04:53 PM   #26
1_2Many

Drives: 2008 Suzuki SX4
OK I hate to be the party pooper here, but make sure you don't get caught doing a burnout on public streets.....I know in California it's considered "Exhibition of Speed" and carries a fine of $1000 and 2 points on your record.

I know this because I got this ticket many years ago cruising down Sunset and showing off. Cop chased me down, pulled my keys from ignition and pulled me out of car onto ground. It was no fun.....good news is I fought it and cop didn't show up....so dismissed!
1_2Many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:55 PM   #27
z28camaro2471
C5 Member #227

Drives: Camaros
Since I'm gonna wait a bit to get mine, I'll abuse the SS I test drive.

Mine? I'll wait 50-100 miles. Then it's time to bounce it off the limiter!
z28camaro2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:20 PM   #28
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28camaro2471 View Post
Since I'm gonna wait a bit to get mine, I'll abuse the SS I test drive.
Me too which is why I refuse to ever buy any sports car off the lot.
Mr_Draco is online now   Reply With Quote