Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-04-2021, 09:04 AM   #29
BLACK21SS
Oldman w/a teenager brain

Drives: 2022 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
The comparatively small interior and visibility issues are real and are far and away the primary reason that the Camaro lags the competition in sales. I get it that most everyone here doesn't care about these issues, hell, I don't either but I don't pretend that they don't exist.
I’m in my sixties with a beat up body, 6’3” and 285 lbs. It’s easy to enter/exit, there’s plenty of room even with the sunroof and there isn’t a “visibility “ issue for me.
BLACK21SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:10 AM   #30
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
I think the main problem with the comments you are seeing is they aren’t true enthusiasts. As a car enthusiast I want a car that was built from the ground up to go fast. Everything else can be compromised except for performance. This is why you’ll never catch me in a car like a wrx or focus RS. Those kinds of cars are built on economy car platforms that’s why they have great visibility and usability however they will never look as cool because they are missing the classic sports car lines. I would bet a lot of the people commenting like those types of cars.
Probably true, and likely coming from people who drive less sporty cars than those.

We have a WRX, and while it's no replacement for a Camaro (or even my S197 Mustang), it can fill the family car function well enough without sacrificing too much sportiness or 'fun to drive'. It's one of the few remaining cars that offers decent power, a true MT, and reasonable 4-door utility in the same package. You do learn how to pack efficiently, though, just like you typically have to in either a Camaro or a Mustang.

Norm
Old 06-04-2021, 09:10 AM   #31
Village Idiot

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS
Ford and Dodge also spend a ton of money on their marketing, of course people are going to assume the Camaro is the worse car based on that alone. Half of them have never dove into the specs and lap times let alone drove any of them.
Village Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:11 AM   #32
Crushin_LT1

Drives: 2021 LT1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK21SS View Post
I’m in my sixties with a beat up body, 6’3” and 285 lbs. It’s easy to enter/exit, there’s plenty of room even with the sunroof and there isn’t a “visibility “ issue for me.
Yea, once you get used to it there is NOT.

We are all enthusiasts. The average person doesn't want to get used to their car and the brutal blindspots/small interior.

That is why Equinoxes, CRVs, RAV4s, etc. are so popular. They are turn on and go.
Old 06-04-2021, 09:15 AM   #33
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushin_LT1 View Post
Yea, once you get used to it there is NOT.

We are all enthusiasts. The average person doesn't want to get used to their car and the brutal blindspots/small interior.

That is why Equinoxes, CRVs, RAV4s, etc. are so popular. They are turn on and go.
My mom has an equinox and the blind spots are horrible on that too!!
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:17 AM   #34
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I understand the visibility issue but being uglier than a 5th gen i just don't see it. Now if they want to complain about reliability that would make more sense. The failed oil pumps, A8 issues, valve spring issues, Axle shaft bolts coming out, and Ac issues have done this generation no favors.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:33 AM   #35
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
When I was in the market for a car in late 2017, the Camaro was on my interest list. Before I ever drove a 6th gen, I read various reviews and was hit over the head with the visibility, visibility, visibility thing. Then I was lucky enough to get a base V6 rental for a ~400 mile road trip. I set up my mirrors carefully, like I would in any rental car, and by the end of that two day "8 hour test drive" it seemed to me the visibility complaints were overblown. Having daily driven a 6th gen for over three years now hasn't changed that impression - and given the performance and looks of the car, I think a fair balance was struck between styling and the driver's ability to see out of the vehicle.

That being said, there's help for those who want more visibility (other than the obvious drop-top "fix"!) Once I got my 2016 RS I added a clip-on wide angle rearview mirror (similar to what I use in my 74 Ranchero) which gives me a look through the passenger-side porthole and all the way up to seeing the back of the passenger-side window, basically covering everything up to my peripheral vision. And the video rearview mirror on my 2021 is a nice feature as well - once all the reviewers started on the visibility kick, Chevy should have made the video mirror standard on all models to help shut that down.
The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:36 AM   #36
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK21SS View Post
Some guy on Wednesday asked me, “Is that the new Charger?”
Well, you also have GM and their refreshed bumper to thank for that. A guy up the street has a white Charger that looks pretty similar to the 2019+ SS with its "sideflappy" front bumper. Its black crossbar between the grilles brings the look even closer to the (later revised) 2019 SS.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:40 AM   #37
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Visibility has been discussed here endlessly. It takes a day or so to get used to. I don't even think about it.
You hit the nail on the head. You have to get used to it. But you are admitting that it is worse if it's something that requires a customer to get used to it.

Customers shouldn't be forced to make tradeoffs or "get used to" key attributes like the Camaro forces. GM assumed the customer base would when they only talked to the "Camaro faithful" instead of a full blown clinic. Sales would indicate they were wrong in this assumption.

For me? Visibility is poor. If you understand the tools and methodologies on how a car is packaged (I do and wrote several papers on them) it's just plane bad. High belt and slammed roof designs (Ed Welburn) do nothing to help.

Also, could I have adapted to the trunk limitations for 2 sets of golf clubs? Sure I too could have "got used to" leaving the back seat down all the time to create the trunk space that the other competitors in this segment have. Or driven around with the bags in the trunk but the drivers in the back seat. LOL you could easily get 2 sets in an ATS coupe, which was built off of the same architecture. Many have mocked me but it's the single reason I didn't get a Camaro. And when you talk sales volumes, you can't give people reasons to NOT buy your product. And getting used to it doesn't play for sales volume.

I'll say for the 1,000th time, it's the best Camaro ever, it's just a crappy coupe.

Always keep in mind, this is the internet. Just because it's not a problem for you, doesn't mean it isn't a problem for someone else. I see it every day.
Old 06-04-2021, 09:47 AM   #38
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
Just read through the rest of the thread - the mileage was the other thing that blew me away as well the first time I drove the 6th gen as a rental for a road trip. Figured my rental sports car would require a gas stop to get me home, and was shocked that I made the 8-hour ~400 mile trip with fuel to spare - no gas stop needed, and with great performance for a base V6 car.
The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:51 AM   #39
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
i have a 5th gen but have driven the 6th gen over an extended weekend.5th is bigger inside but a tick slower 0-60.doesnt bother me,im an older guy and id rather have room to stretch out.if i was buying a 6th gen i would spring for the V6 automatic with all the options except sunroof.have had my car 5 years and its been great so far.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:24 AM   #40
m6z

Drives: Currently looking
I hadn't driven a 6th gen until recently and IMO the visibility issues are overblown.

I bet I've read more than a hundred complaints about the visibility since they were released and it's like those complaining have never actually driven a sports car of any kind.
m6z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:31 AM   #41
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
a lot of critics of the car aren't considering the span of what it can do. I'm still amazed this car i dropped off my kids at school today will be the same car i'll use at a track night in a couple of weeks. I didn't have to mod the car, it won't overheat, the warranty stays intact, and it's really fast!
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:39 AM   #42
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
number of times Number 3 has mentioned golf clubs on this site: immeasurable.