Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 06-20-2011, 10:09 PM   #29
Amenti

Drives: 2017 1SS Convertible
Safety First!

That was a pretty horrendous looking wreck. I'm glad to see that you're alright!

Appearance Mods: RiderGraphix LS7 Front Fascia Blackout Vinyl, Gill Insert Vinyl, Rear Deck Lid Vinyl (Gloss Black), Gary's Customs Painted Bowties

Coming Soon: BMR Trailing Arms
Amenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:37 PM   #30
68blk/yel396

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS
The Red Jewel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEN2LIGHTNING View Post
Hi Everyone My name Is Jose, Im the Guy Driving the Lightning while the Camaro Wrecked. Very scary moment to say the least, glad The owner was able to get out in his own. All I remember is the car hitting the guard rail and flipping a couple of times in the air. when I got off to look for the car he was pretty far away from me, I ran but when I got there he was allready out asking me what had happened, I made sure he was ok and from what I could see he was fine just a scratch. The fire team for LMP did a great job shutting the fire off that had just started. Im just glad he is ok cars are toys and can be replaced someones life can't. So for everyone please besafe out there.
Hello Jose,

I am Chris and the guy that you lined up against last Saturday night. Thanks for coming to my aid and helping me fill in the blanks so soon after I went airborne. I am doing fine............a little sore, but on the mend.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:41 PM   #31
kga10734
Don't Feed the Troll

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS & 1999 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68blk/yel396 View Post
Well Guys and Gals..................I am the owner and driver of that Red Jewel Camaro. Firstly, thanks to all of you on C5 for your concern and best wishes.............you are all appreciated !!! Special thanks to all my buddies at the H-Town Camaro Club and to the members that were at Lonestar with me. Everyone was awesome and that is just what we expect from our club when something unfortunate like this happens. It could have happened to anyone of us or anyone of the other racers. You never know...............that's why it is so important to have all the proper safety gear and have a support group in the vicinity. As Mlee stated............the precautions I took allowed me to come out of this virtually unscathed. GM engineered a fine ride with all the appropriate safety features we hope we never need. My performance builder added the necessary upgrades to protect me and in my 635 RWHP Red Jewel.

I took the day off yesterday on Father's Day, but put in a full days work today. I went over to do a closer inspection of the wreckage this evening and found out that I should be able to salvage the Whipple system, the AR Headers, the upgraded torque converter and upgraded tranny, one of my 1400 HP DSS axles, the rear end that had the JRE posi mod, and my SLP Loudmouth II axle back system along with mucho miscellaneous parts that we will be stripping from the torso.

I already have a lead on a used 2011 Red Jewel 2SS/RS that will easily be converted into the "New and Improved" Red Jewel II. My builder is ready to go............so it's just up to me to provide the ride. More to follow as it happen !!
Very glad to see your OK Chris. When I heard about this and saw the video, I got a sick feeling in my gut. Hate to see this sort of thing happen and it is worse when you know the person in the car. I told Vallie about this and showed her the video and she couldn't believe it. I'm glad to see you went the extra step some folks forget about when they add power to any car, safety features! Not only do they help save a person from major injuries, they are required when you start running lower E.T.'s

I know you and the positive guy you are, you will have another Camaro up and running in no time.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:16 PM   #32
68blk/yel396

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS
The Red Jewel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kga10734 View Post
Very glad to see your OK Chris. When I heard about this and saw the video, I got a sick feeling in my gut. Hate to see this sort of thing happen and it is worse when you know the person in the car. I told Vallie about this and showed her the video and she couldn't believe it. I'm glad to see you went the extra step some folks forget about when they add power to any car, safety features! Not only do they help save a person from major injuries, they are required when you start running lower E.T.'s

I know you and the positive guy you are, you will have another Camaro up and running in no time.
KGA,

Thanks for the message and your kind words. Tell Vallie and your son I am doing fine and said hello.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:28 AM   #33
Black5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 C6
Damn, another engine let loose!!!! I'm getting sick of hearing these stories.

Chris, I'm glad you're OK. I'm sure you have a different outlook on a few things after that ride. Good luck with the new ride.
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:55 AM   #34
JM10
Se habla espaņol

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS VR
Glad you are OK and with a good attitude to start a new project!

Do you know what happen?

JM
DSS Aluminum Shaft
RPM Diff / 3.91 Gears
LPE ZR1 Clutch
Edelbrock E-Force SC / JRE Fuel Upgrade
Livernois 1C cam 570 rwhp/559 rwtq SAE
Best 1/4 time: 11.43
JM10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:01 AM   #35
2010 L99

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 RJT/Black
Chris, thank God you weren't seriously hurt and I'm sorry for what happened. Your attention to safety may have saved your life and is a lesson for all of us.

USAF Retired 1994

Last edited by GTAHVIT; 06-28-2011 at 10:32 AM. Reason: remove quoted post
2010 L99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:28 AM   #36
Texas2SS
Vroom

Drives: Rarely
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68blk/yel396 View Post
Well Guys and Gals..................I am the owner and driver of that Red Jewel Camaro. Firstly, thanks to all of you on C5 for your concern and best wishes.............you are all appreciated !!! Special thanks to all my buddies at the H-Town Camaro Club and to the members that were at Lonestar with me. Everyone was awesome and that is just what we expect from our club when something unfortunate like this happens. It could have happened to anyone of us or anyone of the other racers. You never know...............that's why it is so important to have all the proper safety gear and have a support group in the vicinity. As Mlee stated............the precautions I took allowed me to come out of this virtually unscathed. GM engineered a fine ride with all the appropriate safety features we hope we never need. My performance builder added the necessary upgrades to protect me and in my 635 RWHP Red Jewel.

I took the day off yesterday on Father's Day, but put in a full days work today. I went over to do a closer inspection of the wreckage this evening and found out that I should be able to salvage the Whipple system, the AR Headers, the upgraded torque converter and upgraded tranny, one of my 1400 HP DSS axles, the rear end that had the JRE posi mod, and my SLP Loudmouth II axle back system along with mucho miscellaneous parts that we will be stripping from the torso.

I already have a lead on a used 2011 Red Jewel 2SS/RS that will easily be converted into the "New and Improved" Red Jewel II. My builder is ready to go............so it's just up to me to provide the ride. More to follow as it happen !!

Red Jewel II!!!
Old 06-21-2011, 09:55 AM   #37
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
Hey Chris...
Just happy that we are able to give you the well wishes.
You Texas guys mean the world to me... stay safe.

Looking foward to talking to you soon. Do you have a build thread? Will there be one for RJ II? Link it up if you do
Old 06-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #38
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
Chris, glad to see you posting and in good spirits!

Tony
Old 06-21-2011, 11:14 AM   #39
J-Rod6410
M6 9 second club

Drives: A 4000 Lb BeaSSt
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Since Chris is a member here, I'm sure he'll be around when up to it. For those concerned he is doing fine, no broken thumb as someone said... bumps and bruises and very sore from the ordeal, and he has been thankful for all the well wishes. He was the coolest guy I ever saw after a ride like that. And the guy in the Lightning was an awesome gentleman who was not only lucky, but made all the right moves and was there to help too. As JetG eluded to... the motor just let go and layed oil down... could happen to any of us.

Huge wake up call and lesson learned for all of us who have been modding these cars the past couple of years. Safety Safety Safety... He had just installed the 5th point on his cage and had a helmet and fire jacket on. Every single one of those things helped him in one way or another.
The medics responded super fast and did their jobs very well. Thankfully they didn't have major injuries to deal with.

Camaro air bags were also a HUGE factor in keeping Chris safe. All in all no one gave a crap about the car when you see something like that first hand and run up on the car not knowing what you are going to find... it's life changing. Thank God he was out of the car just watching and later had dinner with 30 of us that night at Denny's.
Just wanted to add that along with the 5 pt roll cage and safety gear he also had a 5 pt seat belt system installed which kept him in his seat and safe

Again Chris, we;re so glad to see that you're okay and looking for another camaro.

Maybe we'll keep the boost down a little bit on this one...................
Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/6410Jrod
Follow me on Instagram: @J_Rod6410
J-Rod6410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:49 PM   #40
Shuffler
God Bless Dawson

Drives: Synergy for my Daughter
Right after the build RTJ I took Chris to Arizona for C5Fest II. There they raced and did well. Then on a tour of the Grand Canyon and along Route 66. The trip was just over 4000 miles and not a hiccup.

This car was a daily driver and served well.

As for this happening.... I've seen many stock engines give up the ghost on a run. This one just had more ghost under the hood to give up.

I was not at the track that night. I was alerted to the crash the next morning by another HTCC member. We are a close knit bunch there and word travels fast.

We are all glad that Chris is with us today.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:22 PM   #41
02pewtersix

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Im glad youre still on your feet Chris. Cant wait to see whats in store for RJT II!!! It will be nice to have you cruisin' with us again
02pewtersix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:51 PM   #42
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Chris....with a little time.....all that will be left are the memories, the good and the bad....and you can bet your last nickel.....we will always be around you to support you, give a helping if you ever need or want one. Buddy....we are all so thankful for the way things came out. See ya Saturday.....I think the Margarita's will be on us. :{D