Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-20-2011, 01:42 PM   #29
Arachnyd
Master of all trades

Drives: 2many2count
Now I'm on the Corvette forums hearing the GS is a waste of money and to just get the base corvette with the F55 suspension.. blah... I guess its time to jump on the corvette forums to find out if the GS is even worth it.

they have a base 1LT, I may be able to get for around $45. Is that a better bang for the buck than the GS 3LT for $50?
2010 Camaro SS modified extensively. I stretched the body to make it a 4 door, but I swapped in the 3.6L DI V6 for fuel economy. Then I picked up a corvette body around the V8. I also swapped the body for a C2 Z28. (In short I traded it for three cars, a Corvette Z06r, a C2 Camaro Z28, and a Cadillac CTS Summer Performance package 3.6L DI with Aisin 6spd.)
Arachnyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:50 PM   #30
jthurik

Drives: 2014 Corvette Z51 TT 2018 ZL1 A10
do not listen to the GS haters on CF, drive the GS and you will not want a base trust me.

John

Last edited by jthurik; 09-20-2011 at 01:52 PM. Reason: added pic
jthurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:51 PM   #31
IOMZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28 | 2017 Viper ACR Extreme
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumblebeeAmigo View Post
they have a base 1LT, I may be able to get for around $45. Is that a better bang for the buck than the GS 3LT for $50?
What is the point of this car? What are you going to do with it? What features are important to you? If it is just for racing and you are going to mod it anyway the 1LT might be a better bang / buck but I think the GS includes better brakes and dry sump? Just depends on what you are going to use it for and what your plans are for the car IMO.
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #32
yenkotown

Drives: Hyundai 2.0T 10 former Corvettes
Outsiders will look at a ZL1 as being just another Camaro. Same as non Corvette owners think they are the same GS or ZR1. You will see plenty of 6-cyl Camaros with ZL1 emblems soon.....it is a fact of life.
yenkotown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:58 PM   #33
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
I love it when people degrade the Grand Sport just because of it's horsepower.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:00 PM   #34
ELR

Drives: 2011 Callaway Comaro
Just food for thought. If you are talking about road racing the Corvette, almost every group that race require roll bars or a hard top on a convertible. If you are just getting into road racing I believe the Grand Sport with 430hp is a good starting car as it does not have the torque of the higher horse power cars and therefore when coming out of a turn you will be less likely to over drive the car. On a road course HP is not the key as most courses do not have that long a straight away. VIR has a long straight away but you can make up what you loose on the straight away by taking the curves better and with a lower HP car you can accelerate quicker coming out of turn since the torque is less.
At this time there are 14 Grand Sport Corvettes with 3LT on dealer lots so maybe your dealer could trade for one more to your liking. Like was mentioned before the dual mode exhaust to me is a must (you will have a great sound and not have to change the whole system). The Magnetic Selective Ride Control is another good feature and I like it.
I like you buy and sell cars all the time and most of the time it is what hits my hot button at the time is what I buy. I have both a Corvette and a Callaway Camaro at this time so I am familiar with both and enjoy driving both. If you already have a Camaro (even though you may trade it in) why not try the Corvette, you will not be driving either the Camaro or Corvette during the winter.
ELR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:01 PM   #35
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumblebeeAmigo View Post
Now I'm on the Corvette forums hearing the GS is a waste of money and to just get the base corvette with the F55 suspension.. blah... I guess its time to jump on the corvette forums to find out if the GS is even worth it.

It appears as if you don't really know what you want at this point. Save yourself the problem of having to decide between the two and buy a Corvette and a ZL1. If you already have eight vehicles, then two more shouldn't be an issue. Dilemma solved.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #36
Ltespd

Drives: 2010 SS, 2006 SC Saleen
For a lot of the people here. The ZL1 is about heritage, its about owning the best Camaro of all time. Having the top vehicle in its niche.
If those things aren't as important to you. I'd get the GS. But only if you get it at a great price.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:01 PM   #37
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
I had a 2007 1LT C6. I paid in the ball park of $38,000 plus taxes for it. gotta love GMS and rebates.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:15 PM   #38
fiascoes1
SoCalRaceTeam new-b!

Drives: 2012 ZL1/WHITE/BLACK STRIPE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY68RS View Post
Buy the vette....thats one more ZL1 to go around to the c5 members!

Yea, id say get the one youd think youd be most happy with.
Sounds like to good of a deal to pass up even if you had your heart on a zl1.
You could always change your mind down the road and sell the vette for a zl1 but that would not make any sense would it?
LOL!
+1
fiascoes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:45 PM   #39
pcw

Drives: 2011 Porsche Spyder
Personally and not to offend anyone, I would go for the ZL1. For me the tuff decision would be a ZL1 or a Z06, but to find a Z06 for the price of a ZL1 would for sure be your lucky day.

When I decided on my Spyder I had a deposit down on a 2011 GT500. I don't regret it for a second because the Spyder is truly a unique and very limited Porsche. I tend to gravitate toward cars that are "Special" and not to knock the GS and I understand the gap it is filling but unfortunately IMO that gap was not closed enough to the Z06. Who care about MPG, you want MPG go buy a Prius, we are taking American Muscle and with the ZL1 being the most powerful Camaro ever made is enough for me. It will be unique and real car enthusiasts will know the difference.

pcw
pcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:41 PM   #40
mikeyroche

Drives: 2011 VR Camaro 1SS/RS M6
If it was me... I would take the grand sport

2011 Camaro 1SS with RS - K&N Typhoon CAI, Borla Atak Exhaust, Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads, SLP 'SS' Front Grille Emblem, Blue LED interior lighting, Camaro Victory Red Seatbelt Harness pads NEXT - Corvette LS3 Victory Red Fuel Rail Covers(Awaiting Installation), Window Tinting, Custom Leather Interior.
mikeyroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #41
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
GS is a Z06 minus the LS7...VERY potent Corvette.

I'd rather have the ZL1, though. I like my gadgets...and to option up a GS would put you over 60k to have the same equipment as the ZL1...plus, there's the back seats. Though not regularly, I plan (and need) to use them. And of course the look....GS is HOT...but you just can't beat the look of the Camaro/ZL1 in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
No question... Z06.

The Corvette is FAR superior a performer and will be even with the 125 hp deficit between the GS and ZL1. Its all in the handling.

Take this from an owner of both, I don't car what GM packs on the Camaro, it will not, repeat WILL NOT out handle a C6 corvette... period.

The ZL1 may have more hp but also is WAY heavier, WAY less aerodynamic, a gearing disadvantage.... Come on folks, the ZL1 isn't going to defy the laws of physics.
Who says?

I think we may have a "someone who will be shocked" on our hands in you, jrhaus.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:57 PM   #42
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
so you could get a new GS for roughly same price as ZL1, get the GS. Forget all that garbage about ZL1 is limited production and will be worth more in 40 years yada yada yada....sounds to me you are the kind of guy who wants to enjoy life NOW. Who the hell wanna wait 40 years to see if the coin flip investment pays off. In 40 years, these gasoline cars may not even be allowed on the road. The GS fits the bill for the fun things you wanna do in a car. Down the line, I am sure you will, when you get tired of the GS, get a ZL1 to trash around. Good luck.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote