Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-11-2011, 02:10 PM   #29
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy@AMSOIL View Post
i want my piston rings to seat and seal properlly and that takes time and taking it easy.
?!?!? It takes time and east driving to get piston rings to seat correctly? That is the exact opposite of everything I've ever been taught about motors. If that really is the case, are you saying that the link posted a few threads back is completely wrong?
Old 11-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #30
Uneducated Guess
'12 ZL1 #742

Drives: his wife crazy
sooo...what I'm taking from all of this is, if you want the power run it hard and if you want the longevity take it easy?
Uneducated Guess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:44 PM   #31
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uneducated Guess View Post
sooo...what I'm taking from all of this is, if you want the power run it hard and if you want the longevity take it easy?
It doesn't have to be balls out or granny shifting. It is possible to drive normal with some moderate throttle.... kind of a middle ground. Or one could even read the owner's manual which will in a lot of words basically say - don't beat the hell out of it when new. It doesn't say you have to drive it easy, and it doesn't say you can't lay into the throttle. But it does give specifics like - no full throttle starts, no long idling. Sounds reasonable to me, basically avoid the extremes when new.

More than just the engine going through a break in period.

Anyone ever heard of rear diff ring and pinion gears that recommend a wide open full load break in. I haven't.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:45 PM   #32
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Quote:
Who's going to take it easy and break the car in properly and who's going to say screw it and open it up as soon as they pull off the lot?
to the floor out of the dealership lot
Old 11-11-2011, 02:46 PM   #33
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
I'd like to know what they did with the one that posted the 7:41 at nurburgring.
Combination of .... handling, brakes, power, tires, aero, driving skill.... I'd wager the break in had .00000001 to do with it.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:11 PM   #34
steveo9043

Drives: 2012 45th AE 2SS Coupe
ok instead of starting a new thread I got a few questions about the break in procedure.

1) Say your new car has 60 miles of test drives on it from other people. Should you worry?

2) The motor should be warmed up before doing this type of driving. Yet it says idling too long is bad.
steveo9043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:23 PM   #35
The Stig

Yes idling too long can be bad for the engine. You want to take it easy until the trans has fully warmed up.

I also want to point out: this is why in the 2nd post I said you open a can of worms. There is so much information out there that you can really come to any conclusion that you want. That being said, I feel that most people stand behind an easy break in simply because that's what dealerships have told them. Think about it: you don't trust the dealer to do any kind of work on your car, but somehow he is all knowing when it comes to break ins?
Old 11-11-2011, 03:31 PM   #36
steveo9043

Drives: 2012 45th AE 2SS Coupe
Yeah it does bring up a lot of questions. I'm hopefully buying my first new car next weekend. 45th anniversary 2ss. Never had to worry about the break in procedure before.
steveo9043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:45 PM   #37
IcePick06

Drives: '12 AGM ZL1 (SOLD); '07 Ducati 1098
This always comes up on car and bike forums...Just my $.02 since I've owned a few brand new bikes and cars and I always break them in the same way: "Don't baby it, just drive it like normal". If it's a sportsbike or sports car ride it/drive it as such, (i.e. Go through the gears and the RPM's, modulating engine speed, and engine load).

By doing this, I've personally never had a problem with engines in the past or rings not seating, etc. In fact, on my last two bikes (2007 Ducati 1098 & 2005 Kawasaki ZX-10R) I broke them both in on the DYNO (before leaving the dealership) and got the oil changed immediately afterwards. I then rode them both "normally" (aggressive canyon riding) and even did some trackdays on them over a 3 month period. Later, I had them both DYNO'd again and they both made more HORSEPOWER than the original DYNO showed! So I guess those piston rings seated just fine!
IcePick06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #38
10forty2

Drives: 1992 Chevy K5 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy@AMSOIL View Post
i want my piston rings to seat and seal properlly and that takes time and taking it easy.

In order for rings to seat properly, you have to build enough pressure inside the cylinder to get the rings to expand properly and "seat" against the cylinder wall.

So what does "SEAT" mean?? Ever seen the inside of a new cylinder? It has an abrasive crosshatch grind to ensure that the rings are custom fit to the cylinder wall as they rub up and down against it. Years ago, synthetic oil was not recommended until after the break-in period because it lubricated TOO well to get the rings to grind down properly. The rings have to expand and stay expanded long enough to get that custom grind and hence the proper "SEAT."

But the secret is to not get the cylinder/rings too hot while they are custom fitting themselves. Driving slow/easy over a long period of time ain't the way to break in a new engine. Driving hard for a long period of time ain't the way to do it either. Ideally, there should be periods of hard accelerations followed by adequate cool-down time. Again, in years gone by, it was recommended to NOT hold a steady speed during break-in either. Up and down, and abbreviated bursts under hard accelerations to build enough pressure to expand the rings so they can seat against the cylinder walls.

Now, with all that said, new car engines are tested and run before they ever get in the car, so a lot of the break-in has already been done. If you build a new engine from scratch, you DEFINITELY need to observe a dedicated break-in period. Otherwise, buy the car, and drive it like you stole it!
Old 11-11-2011, 05:49 PM   #39
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
If I remember correctly there was something in the brochure that was posted on here about breakin to be something like for the first 500 miles not to exceed 80 mph. I am trying to find that now and I will post it.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:09 PM   #40
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroMiami View Post
The "Darin" procedure should be what all ZL1 owners need to do.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ighlight=darin

I broke-in my SS this way and I'm pleased I did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10forty2 View Post
In order for rings to seat properly, you have to build enough pressure inside the cylinder to get the rings to expand properly and "seat" against the cylinder wall.

So what does "SEAT" mean?? Ever seen the inside of a new cylinder? It has an abrasive crosshatch grind to ensure that the rings are custom fit to the cylinder wall as they rub up and down against it. Years ago, synthetic oil was not recommended until after the break-in period because it lubricated TOO well to get the rings to grind down properly. The rings have to expand and stay expanded long enough to get that custom grind and hence the proper "SEAT."

But the secret is to not get the cylinder/rings too hot while they are custom fitting themselves. Driving slow/easy over a long period of time ain't the way to break in a new engine. Driving hard for a long period of time ain't the way to do it either. Ideally, there should be periods of hard accelerations followed by adequate cool-down time. Again, in years gone by, it was recommended to NOT hold a steady speed during break-in either. Up and down, and abbreviated bursts under hard accelerations to build enough pressure to expand the rings so they can seat against the cylinder walls.

Now, with all that said, new car engines are tested and run before they ever get in the car, so a lot of the break-in has already been done. If you build a new engine from scratch, you DEFINITELY need to observe a dedicated break-in period. Otherwise, buy the car, and drive it like you stole it!
Thank you for explaining the mechanics behind the Darin break in procedure.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #41
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Who's going to take it easy and break the car in properly and who's going to say screw it and open it up as soon as they pull off the lot?
I'll be careful breaking it in...that meaning I'll try to adhere to the manual's stated 80mph limit until I hit 1500 miles.

But how to get to that 80 mph? That's a different story altogether!!

But seriously....fluid-changes real early, and some acceleration runs for the first 100 miles or so, then a light foot to 1500 is my plan.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:29 PM   #42
Johng57
Mid-Wife Crisis

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS / RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoKinetic View Post
Wouldn't an RPM limit make more sense than a MPH limit?

Keeping the speed under 80 is one thing, doing 75 in first gear is entirely different.

I was told by the dealer - keep rpm under 4G ad MPH under 80.
Johng57 is offline   Reply With Quote