Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-23-2013, 07:17 AM   #29
Kevlar382

Drives: '12 ZL1; '71 RS/Z28; '99 Vette Conv
Don't think I would use a Clay Bar on it. The only thing I have used on my ECF is Megular's Final Inspection #34. I have used this on the ECF of my motorcycle for years also and no problems.
Kevlar382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:14 AM   #30
BrazenBeast
ZL1 #1745

Drives: 2006 Pontiac GTO \ 2012 ZL1
Mine was like this when the dealer got it back in June. I had to send pictures to GM and they sent a replacement. After looking over the replacement we noticed it wasn't as well made as the original one. It looked like it had hairs and fibers in the clear. The dealer ended up doing a light sand and polish and my insert now looks great. You will have to send the stock one back if they do replace it as others have said. Sorry for the crappy lighting in the pictures.
Attached Images

2012 zl1 Black #1745 Black Wheels ECF Suede 6 spd

BrazenBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:43 AM   #31
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
While mine looks fine. The only question I have is, if they can't produce these without flaws as the posted bulletin would suggest then why not just paint all of them to avoid complaints? This seems like a cop out for inferior manufacturing processes.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:01 AM   #32
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
If they replace it, the dealer has to send the defective part back to GM. OP won't get it.
May or may not happen. What normally occurs is if a part is replaced under warranty from my experience, is the dealer must either 1) keep it there for potential inspection by GM upon request for a certain period of time [usually a month or so] or 2)Send it back to GM for evaluation.

If they don't send it back after the time period, then the parts manager can either give it back to you (I've had that happen), keep it, or sell it or dispose of it.

Due to the $$ value, I'm thinking an ECF insert would be one of those send it in type of parts.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #33
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
If they do replace it, PM OVERPAR73, he may want it even though it has a very minor flaw. He should be able to get it really cheap. When my damaged rim was replaced the service manager said he was putting it on eBay to try and recoup some of the money. All it had was a scrape, and someone could easily fix it up.
If they replace the part under warranty, the customer doesn't get to keep the old part. It has to be sent back to GM for the warranty claim.

Your rim situation was different as it wasn't a warranty claim. Scratches aren't covered under warranty so that replacement was coming out of the dealer's pocket.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #34
Kevlar382

Drives: '12 ZL1; '71 RS/Z28; '99 Vette Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
While mine looks fine. The only question I have is, if they can't produce these without flaws as the posted bulletin would suggest then why not just paint all of them to avoid complaints? This seems like a cop out for inferior manufacturing processes.
Very few have flaws, but I do really like the painted ones on the 13's. Didn't care for the flat black ones on early 12's.
Kevlar382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:08 AM   #35
cvp33
America FVCK Yeah!

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
I've been cleaning mine with drool.....doesn't seem to have any effect on the ECF to date.
cvp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #36
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvp33 View Post
I've been cleaning mine with drool.....doesn't seem to have any effect on the ECF to date.
lol. I know what you mean. Thankfully mine is perfect.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #37
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Sorry I did not update this thread. Went back to my selling dealer GM looked at my ECF insert and replaced it under warranty. The replacement is near perfect.

To comment on the care of the hood.

You can and should clay the insert when you get the car as there is alot of surface contamination. Most Z's have rail dust and clay is one of the safest ways to safely remove this.

I clay my entire car once a year right after I strip wash it with dawn and a little apc.

If you want to truly get all the rail dust out of your paint the next step AFTER claying the entire car (rims too yes im sick) is to use IRON-X on the painted surfaces. Do a search on the detailing forum or youtube it works.

You can polish the ECF insert just like the rest of the paint as it is clear coated. I would use a fine finishing polish by hand but others have used a pc with no issues as a pc is just as safe and far more effective than you polishing by hand.

You can and should put a good sealant and or wax after claying and polishing to protect your clear coat.

Regards

Charlie
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #38
djnice

Drives: 13 ZL1 SIM, 99 Z28 Black
Mine has an actual bubble in the clear that split open. It could be sanded and re-clear coated. It looks good otherwise.
djnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #39
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnice View Post
Mine has an actual bubble in the clear that split open. It could be sanded and re-clear coated. It looks good otherwise.

Bring it to your dealer or a body shop to determine if they can repair it. If not replace it under warranty.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #40
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern07 View Post
I thought you could wax the ECF with no problems and that it was only the Matte Black insert that was discontinued that you had to be really careful with?

They stated numerous times that the exposed Carbon Fiber hood insert could be cared for like paint. I've done so without a problem...

If you can't get that purple/milky haze out - have the dealer check it out!
Old 05-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #41
z28mass
z28 mass

Drives: 4 gen of camaros, 2012 ZL1 vin#1499
My carbon insert has the milky look into some areas of the insert mostly on the front and it has gotten worse. I took it to the dealer and the dealer claimed it to GM. The dealer just notified me that the replacement insert came in and it looks the same as the original one on my car. I am going to wait and see what GM says to the dealer as they are going to contact them about this issue.
I don't have any cracks on insert and the car is mint with 1500 miles since 6/12. I am a bit dissapointed and surprised on the quality of this product as GM has always been high standards on my book. An insert this expensive should be of a better quality.
z28mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #42
djnice

Drives: 13 ZL1 SIM, 99 Z28 Black
My dealer has ordered a new one for the bubble issue. I hope the new one doesn't have other issues because mine is pretty good other than a couple really small spots in the clear where the clear lifted.