Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 01:47 PM   #435
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUESMOKE69 View Post
Just a crazy idea but wouldn't the new 5.5 liter Corvette race engine be a good candidate for the Z-28?
No, it won't be emissions compliant. However, that engine will form the foundation for the next generation of V8s that will go in everything from pickup trucks to Cadillac super sedans to Camaro's and Corvettes.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 02-24-2010, 01:54 PM   #436
The Black Stig

Drives: almost
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
No, it won't be emissions compliant. However, that engine will form the foundation for the next generation of V8s that will go in everything from pickup trucks to Cadillac super sedans to Camaro's and Corvettes.

Yup Yup but from what I'm hearing it just LSX blocks with different heads and shrunken. The reasoning behind thats is because they can make the same power with a 5.5 DI engine as they can with a 7.0(might be 6.3 which ever one is used in the race vette.)
Old 02-24-2010, 08:16 PM   #437
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Stig View Post
Yup Yup but from what I'm hearing it just LSX blocks with different heads and shrunken. The reasoning behind thats is because they can make the same power with a 5.5 DI engine as they can with a 7.0(might be 6.3 which ever one is used in the race vette.)
I expect the block will have been modified. They wouldn't merit a new Generation designation if it wasn't. Just like the Gen III blocks were mildly modified to become a "Gen IV" block.

But -- you're right for the most part. It'll still share traits with the original Chevy Small block, as the current one's do.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:45 PM   #438
The Black Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I expect the block will have been modified. They wouldn't merit a new Generation designation if it wasn't. Just like the Gen III blocks were mildly modified to become a "Gen IV" block.

But -- you're right for the most part. It'll still share traits with the original Chevy Small block, as the current one's do.
I mean but what the hell can else can they do?

How about factor oil squirter's?
Old 02-24-2010, 09:50 PM   #439
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:

Optimization for variable valve timing, active fuel management, and direct injection and allowance for homogeneous combustion combustion ignition (basically, a gasoline engine designed to diesel). The blocks will likely be strengthened based on lessons learned from the LSA and LS9. Possible 3 valve pushrod high performance engines. Lots of things they can do.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 02-25-2010, 08:00 AM   #440
The Black Stig

Quote:
Optimization for variable valve timing, active fuel management, and direct injection and allowance for homogeneous combustion combustion ignition (basically, a gasoline engine designed to diesel). The blocks will likely be strengthened based on lessons learned from the LSA and LS9. Possible 3 valve pushrod high performance engines. Lots of things they can do.
All of that would be done within the head. Not on the block.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:49 AM   #441
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I'd be interested in seeing how much, if any, the benefits of a 3-valve would be. Considering the awesome OEM flow of the rectangular ports of these heads, I wonder if the extra cost is justified. Heck - it is starting to look like these heads still flow better than the newest 4-valves from direct competitors.

I think what we're going to see soon are solenoids that directly control the valves (i.e. no camshaft, pushrods, valvesprings, etc.). I read about this several years ago and it looks like it makes sense; to a hotrodder, having about infinite control over the valvetrain would be an absolute dream!

I'm and the SIDI wagon, though, coming very soon. With the C6.R running their 5-Liter DI race engine, I think we're going to see that technology trickle down to OEM V8s - it's already here on several other engines

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 02-25-2010, 10:02 AM   #442
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:

That's one thing. They are standard equip on the 3.6L DI. A new block-design could integrate them. They can also strengthen the casting, they've made incremental improvements to the Gen IV block design over time...such improvements could be further improved upon. They can also reduce the size (and therefore weigh) of the block. The current block supports from 4.8(?) to 7.0L....that's a lot of range. The Gen V block could lower that range to 4.0L - 6.2L (just pulling numbers out of my behind...)and take advantage of the Direct Injection technology to improve power and efficiency. They could improve the sleeving (see Ford's 5.4L for 2011. They might even integrate the oil filter like on the Ecotecs and some of the V6s: Go from the can to the cartrige.

There are lots of things they could do across the board that would benefit from a "new" block design....I'm no engineer, so I can't say what's worth doing or not. But I can say that if it were as easy as swapping the heads...we'd have the new engines already.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:21 AM   #443
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
That's one thing. They are standard equip on the 3.6L DI. A new block-design could integrate them. They can also strengthen the casting, they've made incremental improvements to the Gen IV block design over time...such improvements could be further improved upon. They can also reduce the size (and therefore weigh) of the block. The current block supports from 4.8(?) to 7.0L....that's a lot of range. The Gen V block could lower that range to 4.0L - 6.2L (just pulling numbers out of my behind...)and take advantage of the Direct Injection technology to improve power and efficiency. They could improve the sleeving (see Ford's 5.4L for 2011. They might even integrate the oil filter like on the Ecotecs and some of the V6s: Go from the can to the cartrige.

There are lots of things they could do across the board that would benefit from a "new" block design....I'm no engineer, so I can't say what's worth doing or not. But I can say that if it were as easy as swapping the heads...we'd have the new engines already.
The improvements they've already instituded on LS9 and LSA are no small feat, nor are they insignificant. I think they'll continue the trend toward heat control and strength because the more power you make, the more heat you make. I also believe they're going to go smaller, not larger, with displacement, and overall engine size. A smaller engine is usually lighter and that makes a car handle better and be more fuel efficient. I believe smaller engines are more efficient to start with and I think that's being proven lately with such a large amount of truly potent smaller engines. I think with GM going with a smaller engine in the C6.R, we're getting an idication of things to come (though I'm sure part of that is ultimately due to the earlier larger V8s making such huge power they needed to be heavily restricted in order to keep racing fair in their class). to the Ford engine improvements too; the read on that engine was SO interesting

I wonder when we're going to peak with internal combustion engines. Sometimes I think we're there, but then, with continuous improvements we get, I start to think we're going to be forced away from fossil fueled cars way before we reach a zenith.

All I know is I think we're going to have a Z28 we can be proud of and one I know I'm going to look forward to owning

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 02-25-2010, 11:21 AM   #444
Mr. Wyndham

the Algae/alternative fuels discussion has been moved:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67693

to keep the thread clean.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:21 AM   #445
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
All of that would be done within the head. Not on the block.
An engine is more than just a block

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 02-25-2010, 11:23 AM   #446
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:

But was Z28 algea.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:26 AM   #447
The Black Stig

Quote:
An engine is more than just a block
Touché But the heads are bolted to the block

Also Does anyone else want propane injection?

From what I've been Reading if you combine DI With LIQUID Propane you get LPDI. The BEST thing about LPDI is that the natural transaction from a liquid to a gas would create boost. Somewhere around 2-3lbs which would be so sweet! Now thats free boost

I would LOVE to see this in the OEM hell aftermarket sector
Old 02-25-2010, 11:43 AM   #448
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:

Jolly good show

Quote:
Touché But the heads are bolted to the block

Also Does anyone else want propane injection?

From what I've been Reading if you combine DI With LIQUID Propane you get LPDI. The BEST thing about LPDI is that the natural transaction from a liquid to a gas would create boost. Somewhere around 2-3lbs which would be so sweet! Now thats free boost

I would LOVE to see this in the OEM hell aftermarket sector
Hmm... I'm more concerned with that big@$$, heavy fuel tank under my car. Lighting my grille can be dangerous enough, let along drive around on one of those, lol. All kidding aside, I know Roush makes retrofit kits for F150s or something. That looks promising, but it just seems, logisically, the infrastructure is not there at all for something like this. The time it would take to find a filling station and all that is just too much for me, at least. If that would change, I'd probably get on board.

I don't see this on Z28, nor would I want to. I'm sure we're not going to find technology on Z28 that isn't, nor has been, presented on or by Corvette. The foundations for the powertrain already exist for Z28 andI don't really see this as a possilibility, nor am I interested.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"

Closed Thread