Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 10:28 AM   #449
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Glad to read something like this - warms the heart of Camaro enthusiasts, and puts a smirk on our faces. It's not often you see "official" smack talk coming from either company.

It also shows a great deal of confidence in his product. Al is a great guy - and knows his stuff. He's as enthusiastic as any of us and totally committed to putting the Camaro on-top. So to read something like this from him is VERY encouraging!!

There's a LOT beneath the surface of Ford's press release that people don't get...or don't want to read into. Bottom line is, as far as I'm concerned....one of them is out and will have its capabilities proven in the best-at-all-things approach....the other is wisps of text from the desk of Ford marketing at this point.

Well said Dragoneye. I would like to add to that the F Co. was the one doing damage control by the timing of their press release, and, by doing so made a very weak effort of "one up-manship"" in the marketing game. Hey F, so sorry, you get a F- for that rank amature and bush league ploy.
That only proved how much they are slipping in sales and need to re-gain footing in the sales market. We rock...just look at the sales figures.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:29 AM   #450
Good2go
Team Chevrolet

Drives: 2007 Z06 and 2011 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Dropped the ball? How, exactly?

I've said this so many times my teeth hurt - but I'll say it again:

The Mustang is Ford's Camaro AND Corvette.

Please take a look at the ZR1 and Z06 performance numbers-- and once the ZL1 hits the streets -- take a look at those numbers.........

........also - what has Ford created to answer the CTS-V family?

When you think about where the American Automobile industry has been in the past 5 years, and then you see cars like the Corvette ZR1 and Z06, the Camaro, the CTS-V - the Volt - the new Buick family - prove that we did NOT drop the ball.
Let's also look at it this way: Both GM and Ford are testing at the 'ring. GM announces the lap time, publishes the various development vids on the ZL1, announces pricing and whatever else I've missed. What kind of times did the GT500 do? If it was better than the Z, why didn't they publish it? Instead they announce hp and top speed numbers, clearly more than the ZL1 has, but completely side-stepping whatever 'ring time it pulled. I say Ford did some damage control.
Forgeline GA3's 9.5/11 with NT-05 Nitto's, Pedders Sportsryder Supercar Coilovers, MGW Shifter, LPE GT1-1 Cam, AR 1 7/8" LT's, Halltech CAI, SW Retro Chambered Cat-Back, Installed and tuned by Corey @ Henderson Performance Technology.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:17 AM   #451
Betblak

Drives: 2010 BlackneSS
Quote:

As to the LS9 - let me ask you this: How much more would you be willing to pay to get that engine in a Camaro? (that's a crucial question, by the way)
I'd gladly pay the difference. Corvette will still out perform the Camaro so you won't lose that Market Segment but GM would splash and we all win.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:26 AM   #452
avcbm

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good2go View Post
Let's also look at it this way: Both GM and Ford are testing at the 'ring. GM announces the lap time, publishes the various development vids on the ZL1, announces pricing and whatever else I've missed. What kind of times did the GT500 do? If it was better than the Z, why didn't they publish it? Instead they announce hp and top speed numbers, clearly more than the ZL1 has, but completely side-stepping whatever 'ring time it pulled. I say Ford did some damage control.
I think it's obvious that both are trying to play to their strengths, ZL1 has handling and control advantage, and GT500 has the horsepower advantage..... it doesn't take anything away from me liking the ZL1 better for my own personal reasons, my dilemma is that the 2012 ZL1 will handle the 2012 GT500... what will the 2013 ZL1 do with the 2013 GT500, if Chevy responds with upgrades or something special for 2013 then I will miss out and will be pissed. The 12 and 13 both come out the same year, just a few months apart... if they were a year apart no big deal.... the dilemma is simply the 12 or 13 ZL1... I don’t want to get caught like the 2012 GT500 owner who now wishes they would have waited.

2012 Camaro ZL1
2010 Camaro SS (Sold)
Old 11-20-2011, 11:31 AM   #453
Tob

Drives: Blue Pig
Very well put, avcbm.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #454
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Dropped the ball? How, exactly?

I've said this so many times my teeth hurt - but I'll say it again:

The Mustang is Ford's Camaro AND Corvette.

Please take a look at the ZR1 and Z06 performance numbers-- and once the ZL1 hits the streets -- take a look at those numbers.........

........also - what has Ford created to answer the CTS-V family?

When you think about where the American Automobile industry has been in the past 5 years, and then you see cars like the Corvette ZR1 and Z06, the Camaro, the CTS-V - the Volt - the new Buick family - prove that we did NOT drop the ball.
What?? LOL
I have to watch what I type because we arent allowed to mention another car name besides a Chevy.
The cars you mention by that other brand in no way compares to a Vette.
2 seater now compares to a 2+2?
That other car company dont have an answer to the Corvette.
They compete with the Camaro.
-Bobby
Old 11-20-2011, 11:39 AM   #455
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribone View Post
Camaro Nation:

As you know, the blogs lit up with the announcement of the new 650-horsepower Mustang GT500, and I wanted to give you my perspective on the latest challenge from Dearborn.

The Mustang has been playing catch up since the moment the fifth-gen Camaro arrived in 2009. Since then, Camaro has been the best-selling sports car in America, indicating that consumers know which car offers the best performance, style and safety.

It is no coincidence that Mustang has introduced three 100-horsepower increases to keep pace with Camaro: First their V-6 was bumped to 305; then their V-8 went to 412, and now the GT500.

Even with the 100-hp increase, the 2013 GT500 will still not match the technology and sophistication of the 2012 Camaro ZL1.

The days of “no replacement for displacement,” are over, and it’s not enough to be fast in a straight line. With the Camaro ZL1, we set out to deliver integrated performance, and be equally good at acceleration, braking, grip, and turning. As you will soon see, that’s why the Camaro ZL1 will set the performance benchmark for the segment.

Our approach was to make every Camaro ZL1 fully track-capable, from the factory. As we announced today, the ZL1 Coupe will start at $54,995 with standard Magnetic Ride Control, standard Performance Traction Management, and standard track-capable equipment such as a rear-differential cooler, brake cooling ducts, and an engine and transmission cooler.

None of our customers will have to buy extra options – or modify their ZL1 – for track-day usage. That is not the case for the current GT500, or their new car.

For Mustang fans, you’re welcome. Clearly the Camaro has encouraged Ford to throw everything they can at us.

For Camaro fans, trust me, we are always listening to your feedback, and working hard to keep the Camaro in the lead.

Al O.
Like i said before almost anyone ..... can get there fast , but very few can do it in style , safe and fast , we are lucky to be able to do all three and stlii have some $ left .
Old 11-20-2011, 02:03 PM   #456
Blue Menace

Drives: 2013 WRX Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post
What?? LOL
I have to watch what I type because we arent allowed to mention another car name besides a Chevy.
-Bobby
I believe what fbod is meaning is that Ford has no other competition to offer except for the GT500, et al. We on the forum might compare Camaro to Mustang, but GM looks at their entire line of higher end models which do seem to blow Ford outta the water.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:13 PM   #457
SnoopyAce7
(ʘ‿ʘ)

Drives: The one with a roof rack
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI DAVE View Post
I think the letter is great...but

....as long as Chevy has the Vette there will be limits......

...Ford doesnt have that burden.....
Ford GT (much higher limit)
Old 11-20-2011, 03:50 PM   #458
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post
What?? LOL
-Bobby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Menace View Post
I believe what fbod is meaning is that Ford has no other competition to offer except for the GT500, et al. We on the forum might compare Camaro to Mustang, but GM looks at their entire line of higher end models which do seem to blow Ford outta the water.

People are quick to shout ridiculous things like "Chevy dropped the ball" without thinking very much at all before they say things like that.

What fbodfather is equally quick to point out is that we're looking at two large automotive companies...

One with one high-performance car, and one solid brand.

The other with three high performance cars, an equally-but-opposite advanced electric car, and four brands that are undergoing an aggressive reinvention that is proving successful in the marketplace.

It's hard to argue they "dropped the ball" on anything. They're just playing a different, arguable more important, game.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:53 PM   #459
george
ZL1 Driver

Drives: Camaro ZL1 & BMW M3/E92
Well said, eric n.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:07 PM   #460
detspeed

Drives: 4 Wheels and an engine
I ran across this article. Towards the bottom is a reference to the gt500's ring times by a ford guy...

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=24719
Old 11-20-2011, 06:03 PM   #461
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill77 View Post
I see it just the opposite. Chevy has been soundly trumped before they could even get the ZL1 to market. A day later, they spit out some PR spin since they don't have the hardware.
Why do you think Chevy has been trumped? Neither Chevy nor Ford have a production vehicle to be tested independently. If anyone who was in line to get a ZL1 jumps ship because the GT500's specs were announced, then they have more money than brains. There are plenty of cars that are much faster than both the ZL1 and the GT500, and if you don't buy one because it's not faster than the other, and that is your only criteria for buying one, then you should probably go get the Ferrari F150 and be content until something faster comes along.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:37 PM   #462
obzidian

Drives: 98 camaro turbo
This just in, gm announces a 651hp zl1 for 2013!! And its lighter too!!!

J/K! I think we all need to sit back and wait for these cars to finally hit the market. However, if anything, gm now has an idea of what ford is up to... I would take that and well, give 'em some of their own medicine!

Closed Thread