Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-18-2010, 01:24 PM   #43
Johnnyma45
Former Camaro Owner

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
You need to tell your freind to slow the hell down.
Ya seriously, he's making it look bad for the rest of us!!!

There's a piece of the story missing here...what did the cop say to your buddy during the stop? $5 says that he was pulled over for a warning but mouthed off, and the cop decided to make it worth his while.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:51 PM   #44
Mark Myles

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM / Silver Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
LIDAR is 99.999% accurate.
But not 100%......

M
Mark Myles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:59 PM   #45
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
BWHAHAHAHAHAA... I must be bored... I just read this whole thread...
Old 11-18-2010, 02:05 PM   #46
ud_lose

Drives: '04 Ford F250 6.0L/'69 vette LS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
BWHAHAHAHAHAA... I must be bored... I just read this whole thread...
Me too.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:15 PM   #47
Darth Detroit

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/2SS-Fully Loaded
I beleive the cop pulled him over for another reason that hasnt been mentioned, the cop was wrong, and gave him a ticket for 1 over.
Darth Detroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:19 PM   #48
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLarry View Post
You like things simple, eh?

There is no proof he broke any law. 1mph is within the margin of error of about a million factors. He'll fight it (no lawyer needed) and he will win. Cop screwed up, end of story.

Back to you.
lol how do we know there is no proof? Based on any different number of factors any law can be skirted around. Why are you saying the cop screwed up exactly?! I really hope it isn't because he gave a ticket out for going over the speed limit...

edit: OP, was your friend driving a camaro?
TommyTSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:22 PM   #49
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCI CamaroFan View Post
Tell your friend that the standard deviation of a radar gun is 2-3mph. From statistics, this means there is a good chance that he was not actually speeding and instead it was the radar gun that was off. The court cannot prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you were speeding, and it will be thrown out. Iron Clad defense.

stats behind it: use a simple z-test, x - mean / std dev ==> 1 / 2.5 = .4... using a z-table, you can show that there is a 34% chance that your friend wasn't speeding and instead it was the radar gun that was off.
Saving this for future reference! Good info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTSquared View Post
lol how do we know there is no proof? Based on any different number of factors any law can be skirted around. Why are you saying the cop screwed up exactly?! I really hope it isn't because he gave a ticket out for going over the speed limit...

edit: OP, was your friend driving a camaro?
See above quoted post And also, ever heard of innocent till proven guilty? Cop has to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that his radar unit was functioning flawlessly. As it is a machine made by man, it is incapable of functioning flawlessly.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:27 PM   #50
Brokinarrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Detroit View Post
I beleive the cop pulled him over for another reason that hasnt been mentioned, the cop was wrong, and gave him a ticket for 1 over.
That's entirely possible. I remember once my dad got pulled over for having a crack in his windshield.... we both looked good and hard at the windshield, looked back at the cop and said "Where exactly is this crack officer?" (there wasn't one) cop says 'oh, well guess the light was playing tricks with me. Well, you don't have your seatbelt on' (which was true, my dad has this thing against the seat belt law... i've given up trying to argue with him on it, heh)
Old 11-18-2010, 04:42 PM   #51
TommyTSquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
There is minimal deviation on radar and 0 zero on a LIDAR unit. They are DEAD NUTS ACCURATE and calibrated/tested at the beginning, mid and end of shift. They can not be 1 mph off and have only seen 3 in 20 years that were. Deviation in radar guns is measured in tenths of a mph...NOT 2 or 3 full mph.

LIDAR is 99.999% accurate.

What it sounds like, since "this guy aint here" to tell us the whole story...He was in the left lane doing 61 in a 60 and had 30 people behind him trying to pass. DUDE, if you are in the left lane, do 65 or 70...please?

Officers can write a freeway/highway ticket for 0 points and a fine if the officer writes a speed no greater than 5 mph over the limit. SO say he tagged friend at 68, he writes 61 in a 60...and all is legal and fair.

As far as the ticket...I am sure there was another infraction involved...or there are other mitigating circumstances. I cry BS just based on the OP theory of events..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
See above quoted post And also, ever heard of innocent till proven guilty? Cop has to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that his radar unit was functioning flawlessly. As it is a machine made by man, it is incapable of functioning flawlessly.
I can do it to. I don't think you understand what I'm getting at...
Old 11-18-2010, 05:25 PM   #52
jdenotter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,M6,Black w/CGM Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
Saving this for future reference! Good info!

Do either of you have any idea what you're talking about. Have any of you been train in the operation of a Radar? I find it rather funny how so many people assume what they think is the law when they dont know the law.

Its simple noone knows the whole story not even the OP. I call BS on the whole story. Unless you are there then noone can really judge what happen or make assumptions on what did happen in this situation. We can play the "what if" game all day. This thread not getting anywhere.

3" RDP Motorsports aggressive cat-back exhaust w/ x-pipe, Vararam CAI, Hurst's short throw shifter, Gary's Customs painted bowties, Ofer's HID DRL/Fog Light wiring harness, Kelvin 8K HID DRL bulbs, ZL1 grille. Johnson's window tint film, LSR lowering springs, Metra dash kit with Pioneer In-Dash DVD head unit.
jdenotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:22 PM   #53
SSLarry

Drives: 2SS LS3

2010 CGM 2SS LS3, born: 4/10
SSLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:26 PM   #54
TommyTSquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLarry View Post
lol did you get that from when I posted it... or just google search like I did for it ;D!
Old 11-19-2010, 03:12 AM   #55
porcupinekiller

Drives: 2010 GT500
Any posted speed limit is the "maximum" limit under ideal road and traffic conditions. This leaves many variables in which a person can be given a speeding ticket. For example if it was raining and the road was slick with poor visibility going 61 mph in a 60 zone can easily warrant a ticket.
porcupinekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:00 AM   #56
Brokinarrow

You all seem to be ignoring the fact that most people (most, not all) drive at least 5 mph over the speed limit. Most cops (most, not all) know this and usually aren't going to go and pull someone over for going with the flow of traffic (unless they're doing something else stupid that warrants it). So anyway I look at it, I'd definitely be a little ticked that a cop decided to single me out for going 1 lousy mile per hour over the speed limit.

And for those of you that say "doesn't matter, law is the law" - well, it's also a law that you use turning signals when changing lanes, making turns, etc. Yet I see tons of people not doing that, and once right in front of a cop... but not get pulled over for it. So clearly the cops can choose which laws have higher priority for enforcement.