Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 01-25-2016, 03:33 PM   #6889
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
I've got a S&W M&P9L CORE (9mm)
Springfield XD .40
P227 .45
XDS .45
Rem 700 .243
Tika .300 WSM
Ruger MkII .22
Colt Model 1908 Vest Pocket .25 ACP (made in 1914)

Yeah, I don't discriminate calibers.

All this being said, the Ruger MkII and the XD .40 are the 2 I shoot the best with.
Nice collection.

What... No 10mm???

I shoot it in a 6 in. Heavy gun, Tanfoglio Hunter. pretty sweet, but throws brass 25 feet
Old 01-25-2016, 04:13 PM   #6890
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
10 is the best MM. I CCW a G29.

I'm glad I live in a free state. My shortest AR (LMT LM8 12" piston):

Family picture (few months old; all have optics now):

Attached Images

blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 05:11 PM   #6891
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post

AWESOME!
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 05:46 PM   #6892
xrivera91

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2ss
Quote:

Omg! I want. Lol what does just one of those go for?
xrivera91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 05:47 PM   #6893
xrivera91

Meant to quote blake-b
Old 01-25-2016, 06:13 PM   #6894
blake-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrivera91 View Post
Meant to quote blake-b
LMT doesn't offer this in a factory configuration (slick side chassis with piston barrel). I had to acquire the parts and build it myself. I don't buy factory ARs anymore. I buy the parts and build them myself so I can choose all the parts. I've got two more lowers I need to build and am thinking of SBRing one of them. The one I might do that to is my AGP lower. Yep, the same guys who make turbo kits for our cars also sell AR15 lowers.

Oh, and there is a $200 tax stamp (for the under 16" barrel) and a 4 month wait for approval from the ATF.

An SBR (short barreled rifle) isn't priced any differently than a non-SBR for the gun. The tax stamp raises it obviously. You can build one for around $500.

The particular gun in the picture parts/price breakdown is this:
LMT complete lower with m4 stock $600 bought during the 2012 panic, They are normally in the $400 range
LM8 chassis $700 (I had not seen another bare chassis for sale by itself before this one. Only recently have I seen many non-slick side MRP chassis for sale and LMT didn't used to offer them for sale either. You had to buy a complete upper.)
12" piston kit $500
LWRC ultra compact stock kit $114
AR Gold trigger $200
Griffin Flash comp $80 (best I've used. I have one on my work gun, too)
vertical fore grip $15
Burris fast fire 2 in ARF mount $210
magpul grip $15
MBUS Pro rear sight $65
LMT folding front sight $120
Total: $2619 plus $200 tax stamp for $2819
Those are the actual prices I paid. MSRP and actual street prices are higher on some of them. I try to buy used when possible because this stuff usually doesn't wear out outside the bcg and barrel. The first things to wear out will be something in the bolt carrier group or the barrel. Those are easily changed. I even have a 16" barrel for the MRP chassis already. I also didn't buy everything at once so the hit isn't as big. When I saw a decent price on something I wanted, I bought it and set it aside.

Yes, I could have the "same thing" for well under $1k but I love LMT MRP guns and I'm picky about parts. Their barrels for that platform are proprietary because they are quick change and you can also change calibers as well with just a barrel and bolt change.

I kept all the stuff I took out of the lower for a future lower buck build.

Next up: a suppressor

Last edited by blake-b; 01-25-2016 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:38 PM   #6895
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
I own three pistols in .45 ACP and they are all 1911- pattern pistols, one being an original, actual Model of 1911 that was made for the First World War by Colt, another being a Colt Series 70 made in '78, and the third being an inexpensive Auto-Ordnance that roughly mimics 1943 1911A1 production, which I plan to have a gunsmith work over. I like .45 ACP as a round and I like the 1911 as a pistol type.

But I also firmly believe that usually, the best pistol round is the round the pistol was made to chamber, and with the 9mm choices we have today, the 9mm parabellum does not need to take a backseat to very much. I wouldn't like my Ruger MKIII in .45 very much, and I would not have my '88 P226 in anything but 9mm para. Wonderful pistol.

And so help me God I am resisting the urge to go and buy a 1970s Browning Hi Power this week.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:50 PM   #6896
xrivera91

Quote:
LMT doesn't offer this in a factory configuration (slick side chassis with piston barrel). I had to acquire the parts and build it myself. I don't buy factory ARs anymore. I buy the parts and build them myself so I can choose all the parts. I've got two more lowers I need to build and am thinking of SBRing one of them. The one I might do that to is my AGP lower. Yep, the same guys who make turbo kits for our cars also sell AR15 lowers.

Oh, and there is a $200 tax stamp (for the under 16" barrel) and a 4 month wait for approval from the ATF.

An SBR (short barreled rifle) isn't priced any differently than a non-SBR for the gun. The tax stamp raises it obviously. You can build one for around $500.

The particular gun in the picture parts/price breakdown is this:
LMT complete lower with m4 stock $600 bought during the 2012 panic, They are normally in the $400 range
LM8 chassis $700 (I had not seen another bare chassis for sale by itself before this one. Only recently have I seen many non-slick side MRP chassis for sale and LMT didn't used to offer them for sale either. You had to buy a complete upper.)
12" piston kit $500
LWRC ultra compact stock kit $114
AR Gold trigger $200
Griffin Flash comp $80 (best I've used. I have one on my work gun, too)
vertical fore grip $15
Burris fast fire 2 in ARF mount $210
magpul grip $15
MBUS Pro rear sight $65
LMT folding front sight $120
Total: $2619 plus $200 tax stamp for $2819
Those are the actual prices I paid. MSRP and actual street prices are higher on some of them. I try to buy used when possible because this stuff usually doesn't wear out outside the bcg and barrel. The first things to wear out will be something in the bolt carrier group or the barrel. Those are easily changed. I even have a 16" barrel for the MRP chassis already. I also didn't buy everything at once so the hit isn't as big. When I saw a decent price on something I wanted, I bought it and set it aside.

Yes, I could have the "same thing" for well under $1k but I love LMT MRP guns and I'm picky about parts. Their barrels for that platform are proprietary because they are quick change and you can also change calibers as well with just a barrel and bolt change.

I kept all the stuff I took out of the lower for a future lower buck build.

Next up: a suppressor
First, I really appreciate you taking the time to break down the cost of everything. I just bought my first firearm (Glock 9mm) so most of that was like Chinese lol. Also, I am assuming purchasing a used firearm isn't a bad idea? I ask because the salesperson at the shop I went to asked if I was interested in used and I said no thinking it was a bad idea.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:58 PM   #6897
blake-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrivera91 View Post
First, I really appreciate you taking the time to break down the cost of everything. I just bought my first firearm (Glock 9mm) so most of that was like Chinese lol. Also, I am assuming purchasing a used firearm isn't a bad idea? I ask because the salesperson at the shop I went to asked if I was interested in used and I said no thinking it was a bad idea.
Not if it is good condition. It's usually pretty easy to look and tell what kind of life it has had, especially if it is a semi auto. You can look at the barrel feed ramp and the wear from the slide on near the muzzle. You can't tear up a Glock. They are the AK47 of the pistol world. Guns and cars are alike in that, if you use them like they are supposed to be, they will get dings, scratches, etc. Also, it depends on what kind of money buying used will save you? $50? Might as well buy new. $100. Likely used is a better deal.

Remember, Colts and Kimbers you show to your friends. Glocks you show to your enemies.

Which Glock did you get? My wife has a G17, G19, G26 and G42. I have a G17, G22, and a G29.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:14 PM   #6898
xrivera91

Quote:
Not if it is good condition. It's usually pretty easy to look and tell what kind of life it has had, especially if it is a semi auto. You can look at the barrel feed ramp and the wear from the slide on near the muzzle. You can't tear up a Glock. They are the AK47 of the pistol world. Guns and cars are alike in that, if you use them like they are supposed to be, they will get dings, scratches, etc. Also, it depends on what kind of money buying used will save you? $50? Might as well buy new. $100. Likely used is a better deal.

Remember, Colts and Kimbers you show to your friends. Glocks you show to your enemies.

Which Glock did you get? My wife has a G17, G19, G26 and G42. I have a G17, G22, and a G29.
Haha I like that saying. I got the G19 it was the only new glock they had in stock at the time......and damn thats quite a collection you both have got there. Im looking forward to taking it to the range this week and put the first few rounds through her.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:25 AM   #6899
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Thought I would share my hand gun experience, especially here in NY.
I grew up in WV where I could walk into a gun store, put down the coin, and walk out with whatever I wanted after a 15 minute background check.
Same when I was in VA, where I bought a Ruger P85 9mm just before moving to MI.
Once in Michigan I took the Ruger to the Sheriff's office to register. Back home after 30 minutes.
NY- Now the fun starts. To get a pistol permit one must:
a) Get an application from the sheriff's office. Cost $1
b) Go to an authorized fingerprint agency and get digitally printed and photographed. Cost $99.
c) Return to sheriff to submit fingerprint receipt and obtain forms for 4 references who are not related and reside in your county. They must fill out these forms and sign them as witnessed by a notary.
d) Collect the forms and turn them in to the sheriff's office along with your application. Cost $13.
e) Waiting period for background check, then for a judge to approve the permit- 2-6 months.
f) Once approved you take the permit to a gun shop to make a purchase.
g) With pistol info filled out on permit by store, take back to sheriff for final approval.
h) Return to store to pick up your pistol.

This is for a CCW, but just to get a permit to own a pistol is pretty much the same. The catch is that in my county, you can't carry even with a permit. You can only transport for hunting or target, in which case the weapon has to be locked away separate from ammo. Once out of my county, I can carry depending on that county's rules. The most screwed up thing is: No firearm safety course required.
I'm in the 5th month of my wait period and just heard about someone who didn't receive theirs until 9 months.
Any else have to go through this?

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:32 AM   #6900
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Florida's process:

Walk in. Point at gun. Fill out ATF form. Wait 15 minutes for background check. Pay for gun. Wait 3 business days (unless you have a CCW). Take gun home.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:13 AM   #6901
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
I grew up in WV where I could walk into a gun store, put down the coin, and walk out with whatever I wanted after a 15 minute background check.
Once in Michigan I took the Ruger to the Sheriff's office to register. Back home after 30 minutes.
b) Go to an authorized fingerprint agency and get digitally printed and photographed. Cost $99.
c) Return to sheriff to submit fingerprint receipt and obtain forms for 4 references who are not related and reside in your county. They must fill out these forms and sign them as witnessed by a notary.
d) Collect the forms and turn them in to the sheriff's office along with your application. Cost $13.
e) Waiting period for background check, then for a judge to approve the permit- 2-6 months.
g) With pistol info filled out on permit by store, take back to sheriff for final approval.

This is for a CCW, but just to get a permit to own a pistol is pretty much the same. The catch is that in my county, you can't carry even with a permit. You can only transport for hunting or target, in which case the weapon has to be locked away separate from ammo. Once out of my county, I can carry depending on that county's rules. The most screwed up thing is: No firearm safety course required.
I'm in the 5th month of my wait period and just heard about someone who didn't receive theirs until 9 months.
NY as well, yes.

But our county requires a safety course in addition to the above.

And the best part!! (Sarcasm) Is that when I applied, I did so unwittingly during the big "scare" when EVERYONE applied....and so it took 23 months to get my license!!

Good news is that now that I have it, I can carry pretty much anywhere in NY, and I'll be supplementing my license soon so I can carry in most of the US.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:18 AM   #6902
xrivera91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post

Not as bad as my first attempt to acquire a permit to purchase. I did everything you mentioned and gave them the 30 days as required by law still nothing so I called. No not ready it can take a very long time they said. Called again some time later and was told I don't have to keep calling in they'd call me when it's ready. After over a year I called once again and want to know what they said? You waited to long to claim your permit so your application was withdrawn.........second time around took a few weeks.

Tags
camaro gun