Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-09-2009, 05:40 AM   #57
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarkyLuv View Post
But again, with most people it's NOT about the power. It's about it being a v8.

If you told these people that the v6 got 400hp and the v8 got 401, they would STILL get the v8 because the v8 is more "manly".

It's an insecurity thing and it's not worth discussing. Those people that want the v8 want it because getting a v6 is for pussies.

Again, it's not that complicated.
That is the STUPIDEST thing I have ever heard...

So what about the guys back in the 60's that bought the Camaro with a 307 V8 were they less manly than one that bought a 396?
Or were they just as much of a man cause they got a V8?
2 more cylinders does not make anyone a "MAN"

As long as you love lableing people by the number of cylinders in their car, what do you call a person that drives a 4 cyl. car???

What am I then, I have 2 4 cly cars, one V8 and soon a V6???

All of you that believe the way he does need to find Doc Brown and get a ride back to the 60's where you belong...

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 03-09-2009 at 05:57 AM.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:19 AM   #58
Tal

Drives: Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieEatsYou View Post
Wow. My intent was NOT to start a psychological V6-V8 argument.

Let's try another tact. Since few of us have driven a cammy, I've been looking at reviews of CTS' with the 3.6DI. A common complaint is that 304 isn't quite enough to push its 3874lbs (3.6 auto):

Edmunds:"but thanks to that hefty mass, acceleration isn't quite as quick as other 300-plus-hp cars in its class."
CarConnection: "Class-topping weight impedes performance."
TheTruthaboutCars: "The CTS struggles to build steam under its 3900 lbs. frame."

Since the cammy is @3750 (LT auto), would 150 less pounds make that much of a difference? I'm not trolling here - I'm really wrestling with the V6-8 question.
The 150 lbs is a difference but it's a small one. Bottom line the V6 won't be slow and will in fact be quicker than your average car, while the SS will be noticeably quicker than the V6 models and in fact quicker than all but a few very expensive and/or seriously modded cars. Most of the time the difference won't matter, but when it does it will be sweet so it all depends on how you value those moments IMO.
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:25 AM   #59
joepitt

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro, 2017 Acura
I'm a little older and don't need the fastest car off the line any more. I had a couple hot cars in my youth. Now I'm looking for a cool everyday driver. I like the creature comforts in the 2LT and don't see the extra HP and torque of the V8 as worth the $7K for a 2SS for what I'm going to use the car for. If I was going to race it or play stop light drag racing, then yes. By the way, I saw a 1969 small block Z/28 on the Mecum Muscle Car auction over the weekend. They said it had 290hp. That car probably got 10-12 mph. Makes the LLT look better all the time.
Dinah Shore, 1952: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGZvQoPxhNs
joepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:10 AM   #60
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepitt View Post
I'm a little older and don't need the fastest car off the line any more. I had a couple hot cars in my youth. Now I'm looking for a cool everyday driver. I like the creature comforts in the 2LT and don't see the extra HP and torque of the V8 as worth the $7K for a 2SS for what I'm going to use the car for. If I was going to race it or play stop light drag racing, then yes. By the way, I saw a 1969 small block Z/28 on the Mecum Muscle Car auction over the weekend. They said it had 290hp. That car probably got 10-12 mph. Makes the LLT look better all the time.
That 290 HP was the advertized figure. from what I remember the car was putting out a good 100 HP more...
GM used to do that alot, they would pick an RPM and advertize the HP at that RPM.. even though that was not the PEAK HP... Mostly it was for insurance reason, someone saw a 302 V8 with 290 hp rating and thought no big deal... or course in the ealry 70's the way HP was figured changed, Ir went from SAE gross to SAE net, which lowered the figures even more..

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 03-09-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:49 AM   #61
DDustiNN

Drives: Cars
Wow, some people are ridiculous. Manly, girly, etc... lol... are we still in high school, here? Grow up.

I don't plan on doing any sort of racing. I have nothing to prove to anybody, nor do I care what people think about my car (although I'm sure eveyrone will love this one). My 2SS will be my daily driver, and nothing more. So why the choice? Well, I am getting the V8 simply because I love the sound. I've always had V6's before, and I've always loved the sound of a V8 Camaro or Mustang when they'd drive by. Now I'm out of college, and I have a better-paying job, so I'm getting what I want. Would I be happy with the V6 Camaro? Probably... it'll be quick, have great handling, and look awesome (I still like the V6 front-end better than the V8), but I'd still miss the rumble, and still wish I had it.

So that's why I'm going with the V8 this time. The end.
DDustiNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:04 AM   #62
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDustiNN View Post
Wow, some people are ridiculous. Manly, girly, etc... lol... are we still in high school, here? Grow up.

I don't plan on doing any sort of racing. I have nothing to prove to anybody, nor do I care what people think about my car (although I'm sure eveyrone will love this one). My 2SS will be my daily driver, and nothing more. So why the choice? Well, I am getting the V8 simply because I love the sound. I've always had V6's before, and I've always loved the sound of a V8 Camaro or Mustang when they'd drive by. Now I'm out of college, and I have a better-paying job, so I'm getting what I want. Would I be happy with the V6 Camaro? Probably... it'll be quick, have great handling, and look awesome (I still like the V6 front-end better than the V8), but I'd still miss the rumble, and still wish I had it.

So that's why I'm going with the V8 this time. The end.

As good a reason as any and better than many I have seen on here..

I agree with you completely, If you want the V6 then great get the V6, If you want a V8 then Great get a V8. trying to put people in catagories just because of the number of cylinders their car has is so stupid and childish...
Old 03-09-2009, 10:28 AM   #63
Miamimatt

Drives: 2 LT RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Miamimatt
Hey guys all im gonna say is this. If you get a v6 its a camaro and great. If you get a v8 its a camaro. either way you are getting the best bang for the buck and its better then the challenger or mustang. To anyone who berates you for being a pussie for a v6 fu@# em. And for all you saying that the V8 owners have small dicks or insecurities fu#$ em. Bottom line Getting a camaro is awsome and supporting GM is awsome. Who gives a fu#$ if its a V6 or V8 as long as its a CAMARO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Miamimatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:12 AM   #64
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
This isn't the "crappy V6" Camaro, anymore. It fits solidly into the 'performance' category. So a change in mentality must occur: No longer does someone need to "settle" for the V6. Similarly, the V8 isn't "just a V8". It's an outrageously high-output powerplant. Those who buy it are looking for the absolute highest performance possible. There's nothing wrong with that.

This Camaro offers two choices: high performance -- or stupidly-high performance. They are, for all intents and purposes, two distinctly different cars meant to fill the needs of different people. One is not any better than the other. More folks need to realize that.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:14 AM   #65
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
I cant wait for someone to build the v6 model into a killer street machine
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:10 PM   #66
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarkyLuv View Post
Don't be so insecure. You act as if I were addressing you specifically.

MOST people don't drag race. MOST people don't take their cars to tracks. MOST people (the vast majority, actually) that own V8 cars never actually utilize its power.

The main reason they own one is for the prestige of it. I never said anything was wrong with it. Particularly amongst men, it's simply seen as more "manly" to own a V8. Even if that driver never utilizes the power, the knowledge that's it's THERE is empowering to him/her.

That's all. It's not complicated.
How am I in the least bit insecure? I think you are really trying to read between the lines somehow...

I disagree with you that's all. I believe there are a lot of V8 owners out there like me, who don't race the car, but simply want the ultimate enthusiast car. Did you ignore the part where I said that there's a lot more to the V8 package than simply the V8? All the parts are heavier duty, so the car is more solidly built. It has a limited-slip rear axle, i.e. positraction. It has the extra enthusiast gauges. It has the leather-wrapped sport steering wheel. It handles better because of a suspension that is dialed in more for performance than comfort. It sounds throatier. And last, but not least, yes it's certainly more powerful.

So I'm not sure if you took your own survey, or read a survey somewhere concluding that the main reason "most" V8 owners buy the V8 is for the prestige, but until I see the results of that survey, I personally don't believe it.
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:15 PM   #67
VictoryRed08

Drives: 08 Cobalt LT2,
Honestly, a while back I was reading an article that compared the current V6 Camaro to the (i think) 1969 Camaro SS V8 and the V6 was actually faster (thought it had less HP) because the SS weighed so damn much back then, tires weren't quite as good etc.

So really, if you're looking for something that's quick and sexy then why not get the V6? It might not have the low end torque of a V8 but when you say go, she goes. Just for the sake of bragging rights also, it's faster than the V6 mustang and challenger (and well, a large majority of V6 vehciles)
Old 03-09-2009, 01:58 PM   #68
ZombieEatsYou

Drives: "Bmblbee" 2010 RY 2SS/RS. VIN 12043
Ok, this wasn't meant to be a 6 versus 8 thread. I was looking for possible v8 regrets besides paying more money. If someone gave you the choice of a V6 or V8, all expenses paid, and you picked the V8. What could you point to and say "I should asked for the V6."

And those of you who are getting a V6 and promising yourself a Z28 or SS later, would your choice be changed by this?
get-your-v-8s-and-rear-drive-cars-while-you-can/

What if this WAS your only chance? Would that sway you?
Old 03-09-2009, 02:01 PM   #69
1_2Many

Drives: 2008 Suzuki SX4
I want to see a V6 Camaro pull the front wheels off the ground...really I do. This would be sick!
Old 03-09-2009, 02:08 PM   #70
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_2Many View Post
I want to see a V6 Camaro pull the front wheels off the ground...really I do. This would be sick!
Nice fantasy but it's silly.

The V6 with steelies will actually have the smoothest and most practical ride for daily driving (higher tires = smoother ride).

You buy that V6 when your on a budget and or you want a reliable good looking coupe for daily use.

You buy the v8 when you have the cash and or you want the performance level or just the relaxing sound the v8 makes.

Remember this is not the first time GM has shipped Camaro's with smaller engine options. Many have delivered million of comfortable safe miles.

Speeding tickets still look the same reguardless of HP.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote