Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-02-2012, 12:11 AM   #57
Frankzl1

Drives: 2012 Ashen ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
Damn Straight! The old schoolers inside are making it happen while they can! They want to see what we want get realized and they sure are doing it! And, I am not overlooking the new schoolers they are tapping to integrate it all! Congrats! JANUARY IS HERE! WOOHOOOOOO!

Frankzl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:07 PM   #58
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
I sincerely hope so! My eyes will be glued on it (and its performance) this year!

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #59
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
I sincerely hope so! My eyes will be glued on it (and its performance) this year!
You know...I never realized you weren't driving a 5thgen, yet? I'm so attentive, sometimes...

You're in prime shape to upgrade to a ZL1 from the 2002!
Old 01-02-2012, 01:13 PM   #60
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
^lol. Yea my ol' lady is begging for an offspring alright.

This is going to be a big family (unless Lemans Blue comes early....lol!!)!

Crystal Red has caught my attention as of late. A nice surprising color...and I'm not a red fan.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #61
NYJETSFAN
El Hefe

Drives: Black Camaro 2SS/RS
Outside of being a great looking fast car, I think the only other real advantage is the warranty. My 2010 ss/rs, is modded out and also out of a warranty. The new ZL1 will be covered under warranty unless you add more to a car that basically has everthing. I love the ZL1, but simply cannot afford one at this time. For those of you that can..., Go hard my friends..
NYJETSFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #62
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by avcbm View Post
Oh Yea, without a doubt, and if it's not... just trade up to the 6th Gen....
Nope , i would wait and trade up to the 7th GEN
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:56 AM   #63
IOMZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28 | 2017 Viper ACR Extreme
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
Who buys any modern performance car for it's long-term collectibility? Seems like there are hundreds of better options that offer a better ROI than some car. If you want a car that is almost guaranteed appreciate in value, spend your $55k on a classic muscle/pony car, not one of these most recent iterations.
This is what the majority of the people buying these classic muscle/pony cars new in the 60s and 70s thought. Why are they valuable now? They are fairly rare – in original, unaltered, or ‘numbers matching’ condition because people used and abused them without regard to keeping them in original condition. But that alone doesn’t make them valuable. What does? They are desired because those who grew up wanting them couldn’t afford them at the time but now can.

Since when is buying an investment at a high value a good choice financially? This is how I see the 60s and 70s pony/muscle cars today. Typically by the time the common person knows an investment is a good one it is too late to get into the game. There are exceptions of course – investments that continue to make gains for longer than expected or people who know about an investment before it becomes ‘hot’ because they have more information than the herd. What is a good investment? Housing? 10 years ago it was a sure thing but tell that to the people trying to sell today. The stock market? All markets and commodities have trends. Eventually that investment you hold will probably lose value but if you hold on to it long enough you will realize gains. The key is to buy low and sell high.

What will happen when all of these people who are in their 50s+ die off? Will the classic 60s and 70s muscle cars still be desired? By some, sure, but in the numbers that we see today? How much does that Ford Model A go for nowadays? It should sell for more than the muscle cars because for sure it is rarer and older but does it? How can you say that a modern performance car won’t be a good ROI in 40 years? Actually, keep thinking this way and hopefully they will all be trashed and raise the value of a good specimen in years to come. Just because they can be bought new right now people don’t value them as investments but you have to look at the long term. If you are always buying what is desired by the masses you are never going to get ahead.

Rarely does anyone ‘know’ what a good investment will be - they can only usually say what a good investment was. If it were that easy why not invest 100% of your available funds in that ‘sure thing’?

Am I buying the ZL1 as an investment? No. Do I think it could eventually be worth something? Yes. Am I banking on that? No, but I won’t reject the idea that it is possible. Either way I’m buying something I can enjoy and if it ends up being valuable that’s the icing on the cake.

dougshelbyengineering.com

www.facebook.com/dougshelbyengineering

www.instagram.com/dougshelbyengineering
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #64
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
I just wanna go fast as hell, faster than I have ever gone before, without having to turn wrenches...oh...and with a warranty to boot. Who woulda thunk we would be here at this point 30 years ago. God Bless Chevy....
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
So you're looking to buy a 2013 GT500?
OldScool indicated that he wants to go fast as hell without having to turn wrenches. I think that most of the significant contributors to the ZL1 section of Camaro5 understand that since the 2013 GT500 will not have Magnetic Ride Suspension, one would likely have to turn wrenches to enable optimum performance of the 2013 GT500 on different venues, unlike with the ZL1 where optimum performance on different venues is enabled simply with the push of a button.. Therefore, no, OldScool is not looking to buy a 2013 GT500.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #65
SnoopyAce7
(ʘ‿ʘ)

Drives: The one with a roof rack
i just saw something on tv where the original 1st gen ZL1's go for $500,000-750,000
Old 01-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #66
tmandoug1
Deep Sea

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMZL1 View Post
This is what the majority of the people buying these classic muscle/pony cars new in the 60s and 70s thought. Why are they valuable now? They are fairly rare – in original, unaltered, or ‘numbers matching’ condition because people used and abused them without regard to keeping them in original condition. But that alone doesn’t make them valuable. What does? They are desired because those who grew up wanting them couldn’t afford them at the time but now can.

Since when is buying an investment at a high value a good choice financially? This is how I see the 60s and 70s pony/muscle cars today. Typically by the time the common person knows an investment is a good one it is too late to get into the game. There are exceptions of course – investments that continue to make gains for longer than expected or people who know about an investment before it becomes ‘hot’ because they have more information than the herd. What is a good investment? Housing? 10 years ago it was a sure thing but tell that to the people trying to sell today. The stock market? All markets and commodities have trends. Eventually that investment you hold will probably lose value but if you hold on to it long enough you will realize gains. The key is to buy low and sell high.

What will happen when all of these people who are in their 50s+ die off? Will the classic 60s and 70s muscle cars still be desired? By some, sure, but in the numbers that we see today? How much does that Ford Model A go for nowadays? It should sell for more than the muscle cars because for sure it is rarer and older but does it? How can you say that a modern performance car won’t be a good ROI in 40 years? Actually, keep thinking this way and hopefully they will all be trashed and raise the value of a good specimen in years to come. Just because they can be bought new right now people don’t value them as investments but you have to look at the long term. If you are always buying what is desired by the masses you are never going to get ahead.

Rarely does anyone ‘know’ what a good investment will be - they can only usually say what a good investment was. If it were that easy why not invest 100% of your available funds in that ‘sure thing’?

Am I buying the ZL1 as an investment? No. Do I think it could eventually be worth something? Yes. Am I banking on that? No, but I won’t reject the idea that it is possible. Either way I’m buying something I can enjoy and if it ends up being valuable that’s the icing on the cake.
I do know this, riding in my friends 68' is beautiful on the outside but inside is like riding in a bucket full of rocks. I have become accustom to smooth and comfortable rides, and took that into consideration because I thought of going old until I got in his car.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #67
Fightinfire921

Drives: GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to Fightinfire921
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopyAce7 View Post
i just saw something on tv where the original 1st gen ZL1's go for $500,000-750,000
Only 69 were built and they wouldn't sell.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #68
mr02Z/28

Drives: 2002 Z/28,1968 Chevelle convert.
LoL...... Since when is $60,000 a "Camaro Price".... come on.... when the 1st Gen '67-'69 Camaro arrived it was meant to be a Sporty Car that the everyday owner could afford... Granted, that was the 1960s, but how much is enough ??? At $60,000, the ZL1 is out of range of most buyers that are really interested in the Camaro..... I doubt your gonna attract a Lambo guy or a Porsche buyer.... The folks that really want a ZL1 can't afford it...... At this point the ZL1 isn't affordable for most, it's a shame because it's a sweet ride that I'm betting GM will cancel in the model year 2014.... It just won't sell enough....

The Original '69 ZL-1 was relatively unavailable because it was unknown to the General Public and if I remember correctly..... The ZL-1 was about $4,000 over the regular MSRP of a base Camaro and it was more geared for Strictly 1/4 mile racing.... Dicky Harrell, Smokey Yunick, Don Yenko, etc....
mr02Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #69
hairtrigger

Drives: 69 Chevelle SS396 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr02Z/28 View Post
LoL...... Since when is $60,000 a "Camaro Price".... come on.... when the 1st Gen '67-'69 Camaro arrived it was meant to be a Sporty Car that the everyday owner could afford... Granted, that was the 1960s, but how much is enough ??? At $60,000, the ZL1 is out of range of most buyers that are really interested in the Camaro..... I doubt your gonna attract a Lambo guy or a Porsche buyer.... The folks that really want a ZL1 can't afford it...... At this point the ZL1 isn't affordable for most, it's a shame because it's a sweet ride that I'm betting GM will cancel in the model year 2014.... It just won't sell enough....
Most of the ZL1 is not Camaro specific, it has Cadillac CTS-V parts as well as Z06 Corvette and even the ZR1 Corvette parts which are already in production.
The body parts are the biggest difference from anything in the GM lineup but the Camaro shell is still the same. So the new parts cost to GM for the ZL1 amounts to the front clip, hood, wheels, rear spoiler and some micro-suede.
This is not a one-off car that is going to break GM's bank if they don't sell a ton of them.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #70
mr02Z/28

Drives: 2002 Z/28,1968 Chevelle convert.
Trust me besides the Magnetic ride and S/C motor and maybe a few body mount areas the car shares 90% of the 5th Gen crap.... and yes Most of it is 5th Gen specific that will swap over if you want it to... Will the ZL1 wheels fit a 1SS ??? I bet they will, and could you fit the ZL1 hood on my 1SS, I bet it will and when the hood becomes available, I will let you folks know.... Because I'm getting a ZL1 hood and dropping it on my 1SS.

By the way.... I luv your '69 Chevelle, myself, I have a '68 Chevelle convertible... the '68-'69 Chevelles are my Fav years

you just answered my own debate...... They are using parts already available !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so what is actually redesigned since they are using parts off the shelf from other rides ?????
mr02Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote