Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 04-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #57
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullF-16 View Post
Lead the way!.....Lead the way!
Hey Bull...

I've never been scared of paving new ground... I'm intrigued by the interest in this as well, and it tells me people are tired of fighting the same old issues.... I know I was...

here's to hoping it all works out.... for all of us Big HP guys that want to stay with manual transmissions...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #58
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepage0007 View Post
tommy is a stand up vendor here...he selld quality stuff and stands behind his products
That's easily the impression I have.... Kudo's to the good ones...

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

Old 04-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #59
mikepage0007

Drives: 2010 camaro
sure you don,t wanna go 4l80.lol
Old 04-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #60
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepage0007 View Post
sure you don,t wanna go 4l80.lol
You been talking to Russ...???

Nope, I thought about it once, for about thirty two seconds.... and turned around...

There is a line about 20 people deep that would never let me forget it if I did... and I really like rowing gears... Call me hard core, or slow, but remember the quickest 5th gen in history is a manual trans....

Old 04-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #61
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
OMG; I can't wait till this build is done, 1400lb. ACT won't hold. I've gotta' see your vehicle in action. I have the 1150 and it's just plain ridiculous.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:07 PM   #62
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
OMG; I can't wait till this build is done, 1400lb. ACT won't hold. I've gotta' see your vehicle in action. I have the 1150 and it's just plain ridiculous.
Well, let me clarify that...

In new trim the 1400 ft/lb act might hold, but my clutch is consuming itself...

We sent it back to Act at one point and they modified it, but the flywheel looks like it went through a meat grinder, the center plate is galled pretty badly... so, while the trans is out, it's time to upgrade...

I will drift off topic for a minute to say that we just installed my AMS 1000 Boost Controller, and we are soon to be upping the boost to the limits of the fuel system... Well in discussion with my builder today, we are going to add in a third fuel pump as a stand alone boost pump... It will be controlled by a boost signal and a hobs switch.... when we go over say ten lbs of boost, which we know the dual fuel pumps can handle to this point, then the switch closes and we have instant access to an additional 255 l/hr or more depending on the new pump, of fuel... which will insure we don't lean out at the top end... Then we'll be adding a wet shot just to top things off... We figure there wont be any problem going upward as high as 20 or more lb/s of boost... with 427 cubic inches of motor... ehmmmm, can't wait...

Old 04-03-2012, 10:16 PM   #63
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Well, let me clarify that...

In new trim the 1400 ft/lb act might hold, but my clutch is consuming itself...

We sent it back to Act at one point and they modified it, but the flywheel looks like it went through a meat grinder, the center plate is galled pretty badly... so, while the trans is out, it's time to upgrade...

I will drift off topic for a minute to say that we just installed my AMS 1000 Boost Controller, and we are soon to be upping the boost to the limits of the fuel system... Well in discussion with my builder today, we are going to add in a third fuel pump as a stand alone boost pump... It will be controlled by a boost signal and a hobs switch.... when we go over say ten lbs of boost, which we know the dual fuel pumps can handle to this point, then the switch closes and we have instant access to an additional 255 l/hr or more depending on the new pump, of fuel... which will insure we don't lean out at the top end... Then we'll be adding a wet shot just to top things off... We figure there wont be any problem going upward as high as 20 or more lb/s of boost... with 427 cubic inches of motor... ehmmmm, can't wait...
Man you making me want to get the 9" rear installed and up my boost. LOL

I'm in the process of getting a few things fixed too to better shift, I have a nasty wobble in the shifter (Hurst) that I want to resolve first. The wobble makes me over push the shifter past the centre and miss 3rd. so too scared right now to up the power or do any hard shift.
I'm not sure if it's a combination of over shooting 3rd. cause of wobble and or the gear grinding / stuck issue a lot of folks get. I don't grind at all because clutch to the floor and it's an awesome clutch, but still seems to get stuck trying to get into 3rd.

But, man the boost controller is going to be sick, it's part of my overall plan too, but, for this year I just want to drive and chill, take it easy on mods, fix the things that are bothersome first.

You're doing all the right things to utilize the LSX427, I'm going to have to wait a bit, but at least I know I don't have to worry, most of the time I don't even think I go into boost, the TQ is insane in lower gears anyway. We'll see on the track when weather get's nicer, but then again tires are going to be useless and have to deal with that next. Never ending story eh?
Old 04-03-2012, 10:24 PM   #64
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Man you making me want to get the 9" rear installed and up my boost. LOL

I'm in the process of getting a few things fixed too to better shift, I have a nasty wobble in the shifter (Hurst) that I want to resolve first. The wobble makes me over push the shifter past the centre and miss 3rd. so too scared right now to up the power or do any hard shift.
I'm not sure if it's a combination of over shooting 3rd. cause of wobble and or the gear grinding / stuck issue a lot of folks get. I don't grind at all because clutch to the floor and it's an awesome clutch, but still seems to get stuck trying to get into 3rd.

But, man the boost controller is going to be sick, it's part of my overall plan too, but, for this year I just want to drive and chill, take it easy on mods, fix the things that are bothersome first.

You're doing all the right things to utilize the LSX427, I'm going to have to wait a bit, but at least I know I don't have to worry, most of the time I don't even think I go into boost, the TQ is insane in lower gears anyway. We'll see on the track when weather get's nicer, but then again tires are going to be useless and have to deal with that next. Never ending story eh?
Bro, I hear you... There have been a few times ifthe right person had been standing there with money in hand, I would have given it all up... buy a stock SS and been happy... but then something happens, things go well... and it's all good again.... I have come to realize as my builder pointed out... there is a diminishing return situation... the more you do, the less street daily driving friendly it is... I'm just hoping we get it sorted out to where with the sane tune it's still friendly enough to drive it to some local shows and gatherings... I'm about to purchase a trailer for racing days...

Old 04-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #65
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
Bro, I hear you... There have been a few times ifthe right person had been standing there with money in hand, I would have given it all up... buy a stock SS and been happy... but then something happens, things go well... and it's all good again.... I have come to realize as my builder pointed out... there is a diminishing return situation... the more you do, the less street daily driving friendly it is... I'm just hoping we get it sorted out to where with the sane tune it's still friendly enough to drive it to some local shows and gatherings... I'm about to purchase a trailer for racing days...
You know, it is amazing that with so much power and a bit of experience we an still drive these monsters. I've had mine back for about a month now and driving it differently, more natural now, herky jerkies are gone. LOL
For, me I'm just going to get a Honda, Toyota or Hyundai to drive daily, but my SS rocks, I love it. Wouldn't trade it for anything stock. Takes a real driver to drive these cars after we jerk around with them. Either you appreciate and respect it or want a grocery getter. Stock I did not enjoy the Camaro at all, too heavy or whatever, now I call it my truck. Heavy as ever put when I put the foot down it goes crazy.Before, just felt like a truck with something missing (TQ).

I'll be tweaking things this summer, and then next year I'll finish her up with the bad-ass stuff like some of you guys.

Got a few tricks up our sleeve to to break some new ground up here too.
Believe me I know how it feels to be the first, I've done it a few times, and each time it was scary. But, got the results I wanted so can't complain (too much).
Old 04-03-2012, 10:46 PM   #66
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
You know, it is amazing that with so much power and a bit of experience we an still drive these monsters. I've had mine back for about a month now and driving it differently, more natural now, herky jerkies are gone. LOL
For, me I'm just going to get a Honda, Toyota or Hyundai to drive daily, but my SS rocks, I love it. Wouldn't trade it for anything stock. Takes a real driver to drive these cars after we jerk around with them. Either you appreciate and respect it or want a grocery getter. Stock I did not enjoy the Camaro at all, too heavy or whatever, now I call it my truck. Heavy as ever put when I put the foot down it goes crazy.Before, just felt like a truck with something missing (TQ).

I'll be tweaking things this summer, and then next year I'll finish her up with the bad-ass stuff like some of you guys.

Got a few tricks up our sleeve to to break some new ground up here too.
Believe me I know how it feels to be the first, I've done it a few times, and each time it was scary. But, got the results I wanted so can't complain (too much).
You know, there are times when the only relief from these things is to talk to others in a similar situation.... It's not a misery loves company thing at all... it's a man, how did you deal with this problem thing...

I try really hard to remember the comment MTCWBY made at the Fest II when he broke his diff... so many were wringing their hands and oh woahing ... He laughed and said... (not an exact quote) ... some people build big cars for fun and when things break it gives others stories to tell....

I hear you on the first time or two jerky driving... My builder told me early on this car of mine would either go like hell or go into a ditch backwards at over 100 mph... It does go like hell... and hasn't met a ditch yet...

I do periodically have those moments where I'm thinking... Is this all there is.... then I take a friend, (sometimes an unsuspecting one) for a ride and get a vivid reminder of how seriously fast she is....

As for a daily driver... I just bought a 2012 Dodge ram 1500 Lone Star Edition... With a Hemi... and 3.93 gears so I can tow with it....

Old 04-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #67
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended

Drives: First 9 inch-12 bolt IRS Camaro
Thanks for the kind words guys Looking foward to seeing this beast run!

Last edited by Hendrix-Engineering; 04-04-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Hendrix-Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #68
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
I do periodically have those moments where I'm thinking... Is this all there is.... then I take a friend, (sometimes an unsuspecting one) for a ride and get a vivid reminder of how seriously fast she is....
Let an experienced driver in the left seat and go for a ride... butt dyno is more accurate in the right seat

lib·er·ty
/ˈlibərdē/
noun
the state of being free within society from oppressive restrictions imposed by authority on one's way of life, behavior, or political views
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #69
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
Let an experienced driver in the left seat and go for a ride... butt dyno is more accurate in the right seat
Dude, I hear you, but I think I'm going to take a pass on that... unless it's Corey driving... I know his vested interest in the car... and if he breaks it, he can fix it...lol...

Old 04-04-2012, 10:25 AM   #70
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
How do you like your ERL sleeved block so far? I believe i am going to have ERL or RED sleeve my LS3 block and forge and stroke it out to 427 and have it as a spare. How has it held up so far?
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
BullF-16 is offline   Reply With Quote