Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 03-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #1
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Big HP manual cars... step inside....

For any of you guys running the manual transmission and having trouble getting it into gear...

I may have found the solution...

I will be adding to this as time goes on.... Install issues, shifter location modifications, comfort to drive etc...

This transmission is filled front to back with 9310 components... gears, shaft etc... It has the Corvette style triple cone synchros, and lots of other internal goodies...

The magic of this one is the fully enclosed tail shaft housing... The shifter is internal.... This eliminates the risk of engine/trans torque motion from placing stress and forces on the shifter...

My aftermarket shifter bolted to the trans tail shaft housing, then to the transmission tunnel.

Under heavy loading of hard pulls in any gear, the torque twisting effect of the engine is transferred directly into the trans and consequently it allows the shifter housing to move around, which could cause the shifter to pop out of gear or to be hard to get it into gear....

With the fully enclosed shifter mechanism, there are no external forces acting on the shifter lever other than the drivers inputs....

We just recieved it at my builders shop, and I'm still offshore on an oil rig... but I'll update the progress as we go and write up my impressions when we get her on the road...

This trans is not for the faint of heart... It's pricey, but should handle anything we throw at it... and allow you to retain the feel of the manual trans you originally wanted and bought...

The shifter pivot point is 3.5 inches further back than on the stock 6060 and so it will require some interior modification to the center console, but it's worth it to me to finally be able to drive it really really hard without worrying about grinding it into gear just because.... I was at the point of it grinding about 60-70 percent of the time going into 4th gear on the street.. and 95+ % going into 2nd and 4th on the track...

I ordered the tail shaft housing and the steel SFI rated scatter shield with it and it comes with the midplate to cross over from the trans housing to the bell housing...

I know my car might be a touch faster with an automatic, but a manual is what I like driving and it's what I'll stick with... and to date the quickest 5th Gen Camaro there is has a manual trans... Go Black Pig...

Stay Tuned

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
and to date the quickest 5th Gen Camaro there is has a manual trans... Go Black Pig...
Speedster car isnt done yet...
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #3
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Drives: 2015 ZL1 6 speed
Send a message via AIM to IDEALG
I'd like some pics please, keep us updated.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
pyr0b0y
need....more....hp

Drives: The Neighbor Hater
nice robert! do you mind PMing me info on where you got the transmission from? Were turning up the boost next week when i get my axles back.

Mast Motorsports Built LS3 Stroker 418, IPS GT35R Twin Turbos, Exedy GTO4XD Twin Disc Clutch, Aeromotive A1000 Eliminator Stealth Fuel Pump, AEM Meth Injection, DSS 1400hp Axels, BC Coilovers, Pfadt & BMR Suspension, Hawk HPS Pads, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Shifter, Custom Roll Cage by Blu808, T3 Ports, 22" Custom Concave Mesh Rims
pyr0b0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
For any of you guys running the manual transmission and having trouble getting it into gear...

I may have found the solution...

I will be adding to this as time goes on.... Install issues, shifter location modifications, comfort to drive etc...

This transmission is filled front to back with 9310 components... gears, shaft etc... It has the Corvette style triple cone synchros, and lots of other internal goodies...

The magic of this one is the fully enclosed tail shaft housing... The shifter is internal.... This eliminates the risk of engine/trans torque motion from placing stress and forces on the shifter...

My aftermarket shifter bolted to the trans tail shaft housing, then to the transmission tunnel.

Under heavy loading of hard pulls in any gear, the torque twisting effect of the engine is transferred directly into the trans and consequently it allows the shifter housing to move around, which could cause the shifter to pop out of gear or to be hard to get it into gear....

With the fully enclosed shifter mechanism, there are no external forces acting on the shifter lever other than the drivers inputs....

We just recieved it at my builders shop, and I'm still offshore on an oil rig... but I'll update the progress as we go and write up my impressions when we get her on the road...

This trans is not for the faint of heart... It's pricey, but should handle anything we throw at it... and allow you to retain the feel of the manual trans you originally wanted and bought...

The shifter pivot point is 3.5 inches further back than on the stock 6060 and so it will require some interior modification to the center console, but it's worth it to me to finally be able to drive it really really hard without worrying about grinding it into gear just because.... I was at the point of it grinding about 60-70 percent of the time going into 4th gear on the street.. and 95+ % going into 2nd and 4th on the track...

I ordered the tail shaft housing and the steel SFI rated scatter shield with it and it comes with the midplate to cross over from the trans housing to the bell housing...

I know my car might be a touch faster with an automatic, but a manual is what I like driving and it's what I'll stick with... and to date the quickest 5th Gen Camaro there is has a manual trans... Go Black Pig...

Stay Tuned
I'm with you all the way man. No way in hell am I putting an automatic in my vehicle I don't give a rats ass how easy it is to drive or how much of an illusion it is that it's faster.
I can't wait to see more details.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #6
pyr0b0y
need....more....hp

Drives: The Neighbor Hater
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
I'm with you all the way man. No way in hell am I putting an automatic in my vehicle I don't give a rats ass how easy it is to drive or how much of an illusion it is that it's faster.
+1 lol only reason i would get an auto is if my left leg became paralyzed!

Mast Motorsports Built LS3 Stroker 418, IPS GT35R Twin Turbos, Exedy GTO4XD Twin Disc Clutch, Aeromotive A1000 Eliminator Stealth Fuel Pump, AEM Meth Injection, DSS 1400hp Axels, BC Coilovers, Pfadt & BMR Suspension, Hawk HPS Pads, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Shifter, Custom Roll Cage by Blu808, T3 Ports, 22" Custom Concave Mesh Rims
pyr0b0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #7
Squintz Palladoris

Drives: 2010 IOM 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyr0b0y View Post
Squintz Palladoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #8
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
My new clutch is so strong now my left calf is growing.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:24 AM   #9
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
Speedster car isnt done yet...
Hence why I mentioned to date.... and for that matter neither is Brandi...

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

Old 03-17-2012, 07:38 AM   #10
Driveshaftshop

Drives: own more cars than i can list
I'm subscribing to this, its interesting
Driveshaftshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:49 AM   #11
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEALG View Post
I'd like some pics please, keep us updated.
Pics uploaded.. What I have so far... I'll be home two weeks from yesterday... so I'll certainly have more then...

Quote:
nice robert! do you mind PMing me info on where you got the transmission from? Were turning up the boost next week when i get my axles back.
PM sent

Quote:
When I took the last drive after the newly rebuilt trans after we installed the nine inch kit... I was pissed to say the least... Not at my builder, but at the trans... I told him that in no uncertain terms... I wanted the bellhousing, the shafts, the gears, the synchros, the case, the tailshaft housing, and anything bolted to or in the trans out of my car... FOREVER... I didn't want a single piece of it back... That turd (my builder)said he had a fix TEMPORARILY for me... He bought a brand new TR6060 from GM, the local Chevy dealer and installed it in my car... That's Customer Service at it's finest... HE BOUGHT it... He tried to tell me he needed to have a shop spare anyway... yeah right<<< dripping with sarcasm...

I remembered a conversation I had with GTAHVIT after he got back from PRI in Florida... so I contacted Chris, found a company and name and called this company... and several others... All of which were understanding and great help...

Quote:
Or if this transmission doesn't fix my shifting issues...

not really...

I may look at a sequential or Faceplated trans if this one doesn't work... but I have utmost confidence it will....Could you imagine a 2010 Camaro with a Lenco and five or six shifter handles sticking up...

Quote:
My new clutch is so strong now my left calf is growing.
Oh my, that is so loaded with one liners I could fire off, but I'll leave it alone in the interest of this thread...

Back on subject:

Note the length of the tailshaft housing... and the fact that the shifter bolts directly to the housing... All of the linkage and mounting points are internal and as mentioned before, there are no external torque or flex forces placed on the shifter housing or internals, other than the drivers inputs...

Here is part of the deal with this one... note the length of the tail shaft housing...

The pivot point for the shifter is 3.5 inches further back than the stock shifter location... I think it's going to end up in a better position than stock for racing... Race cars have the steering wheels and shifters close to the body, not at arms length... It will require some internal modifications to the trans tunnel and center console... Pics will be forthcoming as the project progresses...

It will also require rebuilding, modifying the cross member trans support at the rear of the trans...

How extensive is that, I'm not sure yet... but we will make it work...
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2012, 09:15 AM   #12
andredmg
Big Nasty

Drives: Chevys lots of em
Subscribed!!! Way to stick with the manual RobertI,ve been watching your build thread for a while and I still plan on using your builder for my mods when I finally recieve everything, he sounds like an awesome dude and knows what he is doing.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:21 AM   #13
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Any reason why you didn't go the route of having the TR6060 rebuilt to the max? That was the route I was going in eventually.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #14
mikepage0007

Drives: 2010 camaro
i did like the manual, but was to inconsistant on launching and car was not liking slow traffic with the cam...after the slave cylinder blew and left me stranded on the side of road , and only way to repair it was remove the tranny, that was the clincher...good luck with the stick, but imo the auto is way more constant and user friendly in 1000 hp car, and not likely leave you at the tree with a blown slave/clutch or tailshaft..getting fixed or towed home from a 500mile trip..imo