Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-14-2010, 07:34 PM   #57
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
It still wouldn't pass emissions. The LS7 is tapped from the factory...and VERY expensive for the power levels it puts out. That's the reason they haven't fiddled with it like they did with the LS2.
:(
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:04 AM   #58
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by sik68 View Post
The car being immortalized in Gran Turismo 5 is Mark Stielow's 1969 Camaro, Red Devil. LS9 powered beast.
Cool! Do you have any info on this? Links? Would love to see it!
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:44 AM   #59
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28RockStar View Post
Sticking with the Z28 regardless, . . . GRRLS like cars with interiors.

Thought you said you were married LOL.... married and fishing?

I doubt the SSX would be fun at all to have for street use. No noise insulation, etc etc etc... For track time great, but street... just a bit too RICE for me!
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:46 PM   #60
sik68

Drives: 1968 Camaro, 2002 Subaru WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
Cool! Do you have any info on this? Links? Would love to see it!
Sure!

http://blogs.hotrod.com/red-devil-ca...ance-1139.html

http://www.lateral-g.net/members/stielow/

1968 Camaro: Project "TRACKDAY"

Track Day In-Car Camera

Build in Progress
sik68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:40 AM   #61
xx_ED_xx

Drives: 04 Silverado
First thing I thought when i heard about the SSX was they haven't released the z/28 why are we seeing a car they won't build.
xx_ED_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:47 AM   #62
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xx_ED_xx View Post
First thing I thought when i heard about the SSX was they haven't released the z/28 why are we seeing a car they won't build.
Well, SEMA is the Specialty Equipment Market Association ... its supposed to showcase after-market parts.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:20 AM   #63
MG

Drives: 2011 Camaro
I think it will come down to the weight of the Z28. It will obviously have the power advantage. The suspension and brakes should be plenty track capable too.

But I think its not likely that the Z28 will be lighter than the SSX. Even if they used CF parts everywhere, there will still be a backseat, airbags, conveniance features and so on.

So, IMO, it boils down to blunt power (relatively, of course) vs agile manners.

And if the CTS-V Coupe vs BMW M3 videos are any clear indication, the Z28 should come out on top.
MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:21 AM   #64
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Sweet! Wow, I cant believe they are saying this will be in GT6.... after delaying GT5 for 3 years.... oh well. Congrats to Mark on his future accomplishment!
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:38 PM   #65
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
I think it will come down to the weight of the Z28. It will obviously have the power advantage. The suspension and brakes should be plenty track capable too.

But I think its not likely that the Z28 will be lighter than the SSX. Even if they used CF parts everywhere, there will still be a backseat, airbags, conveniance features and so on.

And if the CTS-V Coupe vs BMW M3 videos are any clear indication, the Z28 should come out on top.
After seeing published numbers for the rag top, I really don't think we're going to see too much of a weight penalty. I don't think we're going to see any major carbon fiber panels, except for maybe a hood or some rocker moldings or spoiler. I do believe the chassis is going to be VERY capable.

I think SSX has the advantage, though. I don't know how well it'd sell, but this would likely satisfy many who are of the opinion Z28 is getting too plush and what-not. I'll still take Z28

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:45 PM   #66
MG

Drives: 2011 Camaro
^^^

I too, would take the Z28.

Convertible. That would be the one to keep. The climax of the fifth gen's, IMO
MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:52 PM   #67
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
^^^

I too, would take the Z28.

Convertible. That would be the one to keep. The climax of the fifth gen's, IMO
I hope we all have the option for exactly what you want I'm not even kidding when I say that the convertible is looking GREAT! It's not my thing, but GOD it looks GREAT! I certainly don't feel bad about losing the reverse mohawk

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 11-16-2010, 12:55 PM   #68
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:

In terms of power to weight, the SSX and the Z28 would likely be very similar, and a lot closer than CTC-V and M3 are. Figure the SSX would probably be around 3700 lbs, even after they added in the roll cage. It will be tough to keep the Z28 below 4000.
SSX:
3700/524 = 7.06 lb/hp

Z28:
4000/550 = 7.27 lb/hp.

You can make different guestimations for the power and weight and the Z28 would have the advantage over the SSX, but one way or the other they're going to be pretty close to each other. That said, the Z28 would have a beefier power curve because of its supercharger. And the SSX would definitely be the better handling car, of course at the expense of ride quality and comfort.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:54 PM   #69
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
In terms of power to weight, the SSX and the Z28 would likely be very similar, and a lot closer than CTC-V and M3 are. Figure the SSX would probably be around 3700 lbs, even after they added in the roll cage. It will be tough to keep the Z28 below 4000.
SSX:
3700/524 = 7.06 lb/hp

Z28:
4000/550 = 7.27 lb/hp.

You can make different guestimations for the power and weight and the Z28 would have the advantage over the SSX, but one way or the other they're going to be pretty close to each other. That said, the Z28 would have a beefier power curve because of its supercharger. And the SSX would definitely be the better handling car, of course at the expense of ride quality and comfort.
If I may add a couple thoughts

DG's even assuming what I believe is going to be a conservative power rating for Zed, too. In addition, I really doubt GM is going to be selling SSX without emissions certification (in other words they're not going to sell a racecar because I don't see them making money on it, and I don't think they're going to sell anything they won't make money on), because I doubt that cam is going to pass a sniffer. Also, the free-flowing intake and exhaust systems probably fall under similar concerns. These, too, are assumptions, however.

Where I believe there is going to be a really big deal is in the suspension. We know the Pfadt pieces work, and I'm sure even if we were to see magneto' shocks on Zed, it'd still have a hard time out-handling SSX.

I agree with DG'. I don't see this as an apples-to-apples comparison, though, because even if the chassis components stay, I seriously doubt the power will. The only chance at seeing 500+ NA legal power is going to be a Gen V powerplant, and I don't see that happening for at least a couple more years - probably even a few for CAMARO. I know I'd like to see many of the components on SSX on Z28 though

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 11-16-2010, 04:26 PM   #70
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
I wish this car was named Z28 and the Z28 was named ZL1. The names fit better.
It isn't too late to rename them. And if GM does rename them it would actually match the current line up better. The Z28 (letter-##) would be a NA track car Like the Z06 (letter-##) and the ZL1 would be a supercharged beast (Letter-letter-#) like the ZR1 (Letter-letter-#).

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote