Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #57
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by its a syn View Post
Your eating the stalks?
"Any corn not used for ethanol or eaten as a vegetable or high-fructose corn syrup is used for food, because it is fed to the livestock that we eat"

-Jason Hill, midway down this page

Elsewhere in that same review it is mentioned that the use of the stalks is not expected to meet its share of the mandate for fuel use (understand that there isn't any direct competition for that part of the plant from direct human consumption).

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #58
INTIMIDAT3R
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 2SS/RS L99, '12 2LS LFX
I've used ethanol blended fuel for as long as I can remember and never had a fuel related problem.

However, I sure as heck will not believe anything the government says when they can't even balance the nation's checkbook.
INTIMIDAT3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #59
wayner

Drives: White SSRS Convertible Edelbrock SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by solo40oz View Post
Trivia time.....this picture shows 2 fuel sending units that came out of a '55 chevy. One of them is the original unit (50+ years old), that sat in a tank of gas for 20 years that was not used. The other one is 3 years old and sat in a tank of modern gas. Which one do you think is the original, and which one is the new one?

Wow! I will guess the newer looking one on the bottom is the older one.
wayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #60
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by INTIMIDAT3R View Post
I've used ethanol blended fuel for as long as I can remember and never had a fuel related problem.

However, I sure as heck will not believe anything the government says when they can't even balance the nation's checkbook.
Even in your small lawn equipment?
Old 01-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #61
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERHAWK View Post
Not necessarily true.......they may do that now, but early on they did not use a yellow cap.

My '06 has a E85 capable flex fuel motor confirmed by the VIN# and the cap is black just FYI

that was also before they started using the green and yellow flex fuel emblem on the outside of the vehicle as well
Point taken - sorry... I was talking in terms of Gen5s (2010 and up).
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #62
INTIMIDAT3R
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Even in your small lawn equipment?
Yes, and my snowblower and chainsaw too.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #63
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Yes, and my snowblower and chainsaw too.
What models?

I should have been buying those.

I live in a more corrosive climate I think. Much more humid anyway. But I'm talking about the rubber and plastic fuel lines and internals.

I don't repair usually. I just go buy another. But since I've stayed away from the ethanol fuel I have had no problems.

Coincidence? Possibly.

But again, I'll go with the guaranteed method. No ethanol.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #64
INTIMIDAT3R
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
What models?
Snowblower is a Craftsman and the mower is a Yard Machines(Briggs & Stratton Engine).

Not sure about the chainsaw. I'll get back to you on that.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #65
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Snowblower is a Craftsman and the mower is a Yard Machines(Briggs & Stratton Engine).

Not sure about the chainsaw. I'll get back to you on that.
No need. My lawn mower I never had a problem with. My chainsaw is a Husqvarna and the weed eater is a craftsman. Always buy craftsman everything.

I think Craftsman uses briggs and straton just like the rest. lol
Old 01-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #66
james347

Drives: 2006 Crownline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank in MD View Post
I don't disagree w/ you but your logic is flawed. I Googled Bigfoot and got 30,700,000 results.

http://www.google.com/search?q=bigfo...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Ha! I googled "UFO" and got 203,000,000 results.
james347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #67
cornfield camaro

Drives: 2011 l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by solo40oz View Post
Ethanol is so bad....there is a misconception that it's 'better' for the environment...well, it's not better for the environment....ethanol polluted fuel has less energy and reduces mileage....and is highly corrosive
What would you rather drink if forced to, ethanol or MTBE(what ethanol replaced). And you're on crack if you think ethanol is highly corrosive. It's METHANOL that's highly corrosive!
cornfield camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:01 PM   #68
cornfield camaro

Drives: 2011 l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Refusing to show any skepticism is exactly how a sheep operates. It avoids the necessity of it having to think for itself. The shoe fits you better than it does me.

If anything, the gummint is mandating ethanol use, which is not my position at all. That's their political agenda, not mine.

Yes, I did say that I would like people to think a certain way if I had something to gain by their doing so. But that little reading comprehension thing you skipped right past was that I have no dog in the ethanol content fight (I did use the word "IF", as in "if it was me pushing . . ."). What I do have is healthy skepticism about there being zero difference between E10 and E15.

One of my cars is a 1995, another is a 2001, and I have a pretty nice SBC sitting on a stand that's essentially early-1990's technologically. IOW, I have good reason to be skeptical even if it wasn't my nature as an engineer to be that way.

Norm
If I had "a pretty nice SBC" I'd put 12 to 1 pistons in it, put big jets in the carb and run E85!
cornfield camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #69
solo40oz

Drives: My wife crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornfield camaro View Post
What would you rather drink if forced to, ethanol or MTBE(what ethanol replaced). And you're on crack if you think ethanol is highly corrosive. It's METHANOL that's highly corrosive!
Fair enough - I'll rephrase....the combination of $hit going into modern gas is highly corrosive.
solo40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #70
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornfield camaro View Post
If I had "a pretty nice SBC" I'd put 12 to 1 pistons in it, put big jets in the carb and run E85!
Not when the stuff is a PITA to find and not commonly available on the road between home and most anywhere I'm apt to travel to. Nor am I about to rip the aftermarket multiport EFI off of it, which I seriously doubt is E85-compatible.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote