Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-15-2010, 02:39 PM   #57
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by esperman View Post
lets avoid insults. Both he & Trifecta have seen a car with bad AFR & reduced power running an Airaid vs stock box. Maybe those 2 cars have other isssues...no one really knows.
And I believe those cars were automatics...

Now, looking at my logs I can see that my car is now in fact pulling timing when I go WOT.. some times as much as 10 degrees... which I believe what Vince at Trifecta also noted...

Ok.. if all goes well, I'll be on the dyno on Saturday...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:40 PM   #58
gumbo2000

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
I bet if the pizza delivery guy only brought you have 1/2 your pizza you would be a bit upset... and that over some thing that less than $20!
Depends. Does the 1/2 pizza look EXACTLY like it did in the Papa John's commercial? Is the cheese so hot it strings out as he lifts up a steamy slice?

My point being I ALWAYS take any manufacturer's claim with a grain of salt. How often do you buy things these days where it comes out exactly as advertised.

If you didn't get what you ordered....deal with it. Return it, warn others away from their product, vote with your wallet, say your peace and move on. Going on and on and on and on and on and on and on DOES NOT help your case.

That being said ... thank you all for your research and I look forward to the other tests as well.
gumbo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:44 PM   #59
ROD1
Retired

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS V6 #1301 DOB 3/23/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD1 View Post
Ok Im gonna ask a stupid question. Is it possible to put the sensor in upside down?
Yes? No? Maybe so?
ROD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:48 PM   #60
67 GTO
13.453 @ 101.90

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
Quote:
Yes? No? Maybe so?
No, because of the mounting screw hole configuration.

GMPP exhaust/JBA shorties/Vararam CAI/VMax TB/SLP Pulley/VMax IM isolator/MACE Ported IM +Plenum Spacer/IPF Tuned
67 GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:49 PM   #61
bmwdon
I refuse to go smurfy

Drives: 2009 Challenger SRT8, 2010 Camaro
On my hemi, the air element has a support or cagelike structure around it, opposite sides of each other, so you have to be sure that the element is directly exposed to the airflow path, and not twisted 90 degrees to where one of the supports blocks the air flow path from what I can tell to be a "good" reading....it's a minor disruption in the air flowing over the sensor element, but I bet it can affect the cooling on that wire/resistor.

nevermind, 67 gto had the right answer for you

-Bill...the Camaro was my wifes, now she's got a minivan
Challenger- 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Procharger D1 Supercharger: 10.895 @ 126.720 MPH
bmwdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:49 PM   #62
faninc

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS in SIM
Thanks David for posting all the VIDS and new results...as I shared last week, David would be posting and I surmised it would likely show results a bit lower than first Dyno's but it would NOT lose power.

That is what has now been posted...will be good to see SCRMING results...and others. The more data the better- Automatic car data would be good...have auto car.
faninc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:49 PM   #63
ROD1
Retired

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS V6 #1301 DOB 3/23/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 GTO View Post
No, because of the mounting screw hole configuration.
Ahh ...thanks!
ROD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:53 PM   #64
Mankind
Whats a Millwright?

Drives: 2LT/RS SIM, 05 Wht Denali
Nothing against you David but I still need to wait until someone else posts the same thing you are posting. At this point the only ppl with dyno acess have auto tranny vs your manual. Is there ant way you can post the info performed with an automatic? Then we will have Devildoc, yours, and hopefully Scrming's info to compare.
Mankind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:01 PM   #65
Mibadd

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Obviously you paid $300 for the intake, so I'm pretty sure you expected to see positive results. Your dyno said otherwise.

Maybe the dyno was screwy..maybe your intake was screwy, maybe your sensor is screwy? Who knows. It would bug me too until I got to the bottom of it!

I'd do another dyno run. If your still not happy Airaid should refund you. Period. No hassle warranty after all.
No offense to you or your Camaro but I would have to agree with "esperman" and some other members (not to name names,as you once Quoted).
Maybe you need to take your Camaro in for service at the dealership and find out if indeed something is wrong . The thing is who knows whats going on in your case .. Either Live with it or just trade it in ...
Mibadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:03 PM   #66
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Quote:
David,
was this particular V6 car a manual?

This is all very intersting. I'm alittle confused on the torque numbers. The engine is SAE certified 273 lb ft at the crank. Seeing 262 lb ft stock at the wheels doesn't feel right.

I am glad the AFR seems pretty good!
I know the manuals are more efficient, but that torque number is wacky. I believe the hp number, might be a bit high, but the torque number has got to be screwed.

Not accusing here, but dynos can be played with. Of course the gains were static, so even if the dyno was tweaked, I would think the gains would have been the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildoc View Post
What BS you talking about there Chozn? Glad you can tell that your performance has increased without a dyno.

MRRAY - congrats you paid thousands of $ for the same hp/tq that Airaid can get out of a stock car with just an intake.
Quote:
actually he didn't pay for it...thats what so great on being a beta tester! LOL.

I can assure you his car is putting more power down that just an intake MOD (just in case people don't catch your sarcasm)
Yep, beta tester! Although I've still spent over $1k getting to the point at which I'm at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwdon View Post
did mrray13 do his dyno run on a mustang or dynojet?

DynoJet, both locations.

Quote:
Yes? No? Maybe so?
I would think not. I know in the Injen CAI, teh MAF can only go in one way. So unless the AirRaid product got turned around during design, and every single one of them would then be backwards, I would say no.

Also of note, if people are watching scrmings posts, he's seeing the lean condition. The car is pulling timing, and he's got a tune. You are doing this testing with your tune flashed, right scrming, lol? So what Vince stated very early on is still happening, just not in the same amount. Scrming also noted that the MAF is reading like it's getting less air, although we all know it's getting more. That's possibly causing the lean condition. So maybe the fault lies in the MAF housing?

Also, AirRaid does need to change up the PR. " Up to 11hp gain" would be far more accurate. They have been clearly staing that one would see 11hp, making a blanket statement, that doesn't hold water on their own dyno, now.

Lastly, I say take this test with a grain of salt. It took a customer complaint to get this done, and some bad PR as a result of it. Kudos still go out ot AirRaid for doing the test, however, maybe AirRaid should have done multiple testing with their mule. Show people the results were indeed doable, consistant and stuck. As it is, they had to find another car, and set up this test. Then took 5 extra days to post results after announcing the tests were done. Okay, 3 business days for those who will nitpick, lol. I still feel that something is amiss. That's my opinion, agree or not, that's up to you.

So to summarize...

1) AirRaid's new test car has some seriously high torque numbers, stock.
2) AirRaid's own test showed the car leaned out, we all know the LLT likes rich
3) scrming's current testing is showing the lean condition, so much it's pulling timing whereas the Injen hasn't,and his car is tuned, or maybe not?.
4) They took their time posting results after announcing they had them.
5) The current test car showed no where near the advertised gains on either side.
6) AirRaid as a whole is a quality product, and deserve a thanks for doing this.
7) There is more to this story I'm afraid, and we'll have to wait to see what happens.

Thank s again David and AirRaid for doing the test. Also, for sending scrming a CAI to test independantly, it's about time . Sure seems like that idea came from somewhere else.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:25 PM   #67
esperman
You Can Call Me Jay

Drives: 2010 1LT RJT Manual w/CAI & Solo
Quote:
Now, looking at my logs I can see that my car is now in fact pulling timing when I go WOT.. some times as much as 10 degrees... which I believe what Vince at Trifecta also noted...
uh oh:(
thats about 10 hp going bye bye
esperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:30 PM   #68
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
my car is now in fact pulling timing when I go WOT.. some times as much as 10 degrees... ...
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:38 PM   #69
devildoc

Drives: '12 Toyota Tacoma Dbl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mibadd View Post
No offense to you or your Camaro but I would have to agree with "esperman" and some other members (not to name names,as you once Quoted).
Maybe you need to take your Camaro in for service at the dealership and find out if indeed something is wrong . The thing is who knows whats going on in your case .. Either Live with it or just trade it in ...
None taken other than the first comment you agreed to. But then again my PTSD (to much shooting) kicks in and I have to go take my meds. Car was taken to service the day after the last dyno test. Yeah nothing wrong with anything, even asked the tech to check the programming. All up to date and nothing wrong. Trust me I checked my boxes and trust me I do live with it.

Scrming was stating that he found his car running lean. ...... mine was real lean 13.7 WOT. thus causing me to lose some hp has been the general consensus.

Then you got Brandon - whatever his name is - who doesn't have a camaro yet talking shit. Wow! People grow up.....I paid out of my pocket to help find something out for this V6 forum. I posted my results as requested. If you don't like em fine it's all good not YOUR car. But all the f'n pms and shit have gotten old. Be a man and confort me on the thread.

If Airaid has gotten some +hp/tq out of the dyno session then awesome! They wouldn't be in business if their products didn't produce something. Just as others have stated "I take it worth a grain of salt" I try to look at the results and go from there.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:41 PM   #70
Airaid Filters

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
David,

First thanks for your effort on this!

Any chance you could find an automatic? I know that some car react very differently between autos and manual... I've seen a manual car take more degrees of timing in tune yet that same tuning on an automatic pinged like crazy!!

Also do you happen to know what fuel the car was using?
Hello scrming,

All car’s are going to react different. Manual or auto.

I never heard anybody ask for a specific model car, Everybody wanted us to re test the system and we did just that.

Hypothetically, if you took 100 3.6L Camaros and lined them all up, and they all raced to 100MPH, do you think they would all reach the 100MPH at the same time?

Quote:
lets avoid insults. Both he & Trifecta have seen a car with bad AFR & reduced power running an Airaid vs stock box. Maybe those 2 cars have other isssues...no one really knows.
Exactly! No one does know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faninc View Post
Thanks David for posting all the VIDS and new results...as I shared last week, David would be posting and I surmised it would likely show results a bit lower than first Dyno's but it would NOT lose power.

That is what has now been posted...will be good to see SCRMING results...and others. The more data the better- Automatic car data would be good...have auto car.
Hello faninc,

Your very welcome.

However always keep in mind, different car, different day, different numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankind View Post
Nothing against you David but I still need to wait until someone else posts the same thing you are posting. At this point the only ppl with dyno acess have auto tranny vs your manual. Is there ant way you can post the info performed with an automatic? Then we will have Devildoc, yours, and hopefully Scrming's info to compare.
Hello Mankind,

No point in comparing our test with the others. They were performed on different days, different vehicles, different modifications, so no matter how you look at it, you will not be comparing apples to apples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrray13 View Post

Also, AirRaid does need to change up the PR. " Up to 11hp gain" would be far more accurate. They have been clearly staing that one would see 11hp, making a blanket statement, that doesn't hold water on their own dyno, now.

Lastly, I say take this test with a grain of salt. It took a customer complaint to get this done, and some bad PR as a result of it. Kudos still go out ot AirRaid for doing the test, however, maybe AirRaid should have done multiple testing with their mule. Show people the results were indeed doable, consistant and stuck. As it is, they had to find another car, and set up this test. Then took 5 extra days to post results after announcing the tests were done. Okay, 3 business days for those who will nitpick, lol. I still feel that something is amiss. That's my opinion, agree or not, that's up to you.
Hello mrray13,

I would personally take “Every” test done on the forum with a grain of salt. We did plenty of testing in the 6-8 months of development of the Airaid system. You are comparing “Airaid” who has been using the same in house mustang Chassis dyno with the same operators who have taken all the proper classes to fully understand how it works and performs, who have a proven method of using the dyno and comparing that to a couple of random pulls. I am sorry, but that’s far from an apples to apples test. We did have to “Find” a test car as our Camaro’s were replaced with other vehicles to begin testing and development on. We certainly can’t keep all the car’s in our parking lot indefinitely. And please do not take this as AIRAID is the be all end all and can do no wrong, because that is not what I am saying at all. There are plenty of excellent dyno facilities out there, but on the other hand there are plenty that are awful as well.

Thanks,
David
Airaid Filters is offline   Reply With Quote