Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-18-2009, 07:26 AM   #71
coolman

who's to say they didn't shade the paint samples in the bulletin differant just to prove their point.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:43 AM   #72
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
who's to say they didn't shade the paint samples in the bulletin differant just to prove their point.
I'm betting that GM called in the Feds to do just that. They had some time off from the JFK cover-up and the moon mission falsification claims have slowed...

What would be the point of GM faking something like this. This isn't the front fascia problem that was posted above...this is demonstrating the reason that two different angles look different with the same paint. Go look at some of Fords "mystic" paints on cars...you want to see "mismatch"...there it is. It is the same thing that GM is trying to point out here...change the angle on some paint colors, you'll see this.

I've got no doubt some of the early cars had issues as I've stated, but claiming GM dummied up a couple of boards...that's crazy.
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:49 AM   #73
coolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTucker View Post
I'm betting that GM called in the Feds to do just that. They had some time off from the JFK cover-up and the moon mission falsification claims have slowed...

What would be the point of GM faking something like this. This isn't the front fascia problem that was posted above...this is demonstrating the reason that two different angles look different with the same paint. Go look at some of Fords "mystic" paints on cars...you want to see "mismatch"...there it is. It is the same thing that GM is trying to point out here...change the angle on some paint colors, you'll see this.

I've got no doubt some of the early cars had issues as I've stated, but claiming GM dummied up a couple of boards...that's crazy.
Hey, nothing would surprise anymore. Gm has a lot riding on this car and others. If you think things like that don't go on in companies ,you have your head in the sand.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:59 AM   #74
JerseyMonte

Drives: 1972 Z28
Looks goood to me

I can't see any difference!

JerseyMonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:04 AM   #75
ssump29
LOL at most people here.

Drives: 2005 GTO,2006 M6, 2007 300 Touring
I think what everyone needs to do to truly see if you have a mismatched car is get the car out of the sun and any light. This is how I checked mine. Since I had kinda fell into the stupid thinking of thinking my car was mismatched. I pull my car into my garage where no sun or any light was directly on the car. I left the garage door up for light to see the whole car but no light was directly on it. Once I did that I had no difference in color from any angle I stood at. It was all a perfect match.

Thats what I feel people need to do esp with the IOM, ABM, RJT colors. you will be surprised how dull the color really looks when no light is directly on it. I have done this with all these colors and have found them all correctly matched. Only when its in any light the car never shows the same color at any point of the car. Hell your roof will looked realllll mismatched from your door when it's in the light..

The fact remains I think a small protion of people made a big fuse over something so litte.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:14 AM   #76
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

Now...I know that I haven't seen every single Camaro in the world...and I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I have seen well over 20 production cars up-close, in person, and I've examined the color on every one (especially the metallic ones, because they're beautiful), and I've NEVER seen this mystical color-mismatch.

Here's a question to all you indignant folks out there crying foul and accusing GM of insulting you...why on earth would they take the time to write up this report...publish is PUBLICLY...if they aren't 100% positive of what they're talking about? Please....I'm not calling anybody a liar, or stupid, here...but please try to be objective about this. It is an illusion of the light.
All this does Dragoneye is give ammunition to dealers to deny service to anyone who claims their front fascia, side mirrors, or any other parts don't match up correctly even though this bulletin is only meant for the same part. They just need to pull out this bulletin and they now have GM on their side of the argument.

My very own Camaro 1SS Vin # in the 22,000's has a mismatched front and rear paint issues that is not as noticeable as others I have seen so I've left it alone. My side mirrors are very noticeably off. As for believing that GM is 100% positive of what they are talking about and everyone who has seen mismatched paint is only seeing an "illusion of light" as you and GM say.....I have to say that is being a bit naive and not taking to account all the evidence to the contrary including members of this site.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:20 AM   #77
ssump29
LOL at most people here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
All this does Dragoneye is give ammunition to dealers to deny service to anyone who claims their front fascia, side mirrors, or any other parts don't match up correctly even though this bulletin is only meant for the same part. They just need to pull out this bulletin and they now have GM on their side of the argument.

My very own Camaro 1SS Vin # in the 22,000's has a mismatched front and rear paint issues that is not as noticeable as others I have seen so I've left it alone. My side mirrors are very noticeably off. As for believing that GM is 100% positive of what they are talking about and everyone who has seen mismatched paint is only seeing an "illusion of light" as you and GM say.....I have to say that is being a bit naive and not taking to account all the evidence to the contrary including members of this site.
Like others have said I believe its in the eye of the beholder. I bet I could look at your car and see something different then what you are seeing. I think if people didn't have this in their head before getting their cars they wouldn't even notice the different color reflecting.

Now I haven't seen you car and can only go on what you have said, but I bet you were looking for a problem long before you ever took delivery. If its not as bad as others you say you have seen, it could be that you don't have a problem period you just can't get over your thinking.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:52 AM   #78
ac223mal

Drives: car
I have seen a IOM in person, and the paint was horrible. I am not talking about door to quarter panels. I talking hood to the front bumper. I walked up to the car and it was immediately noticeable. IOM was a color that I spent alot of time (and I mean hours and hours) looking at on other vehicles. I was aware that in different light and angles in looked different. In fact that is the reason I didn't pick the color. CGM has the same type of quaility depending on the light other shades (the blues or purples) come out.

This was different, I spent 20-30 min just looking at the where the hood met the front bumper, I made sure it was the same plane and angle. The colors did not match, not even close. I would have refused to buy the car because it looked so bad. I would have waited another 8 months to get another car because of how bad it looked.

I also think that the 1st page of posts was discouraging. How many of them called people stupid or dumb because others had mentioned mismatching paint? Your car, if you have oen of the affected colors, doesn't have a problem great! Doesn't mean that other cars don't. Doesn't mean some people didn't made a mistake in their post and got the problem resolved.

It certantily doesn't make people dumb or stupid...and if it does then add me to that list!
ac223mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:02 AM   #79
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssump29 View Post
Like others have said I believe its in the eye of the beholder. I bet I could look at your car and see something different then what you are seeing. I think if people didn't have this in their head before getting their cars they wouldn't even notice the different color reflecting.

Now I haven't seen you car and can only go on what you have said, but I bet you were looking for a problem long before you ever took delivery. If its not as bad as others you say you have seen, it could be that you don't have a problem period you just can't get over your thinking.
Even if I didn't know about the issue's before taking delivery, I would still have noticed the mismatches. The gold flakes and what angle or depth they were sprayed on look to be the culprit upon closer inspection. And if you read my post, I noticed the issue the same day of delivery but chose to keep the car as is. If it was something that bothered me every time I looked at the car, you better believe it that I would have demanded the dealer fix the mismatched paint issue and gotten GM involved if I needed to. Like I said, I have seen other IOM. RJT, and ABM at G2G's and there are some with even more of a mismatch so perhaps I am lucky. There is one member on here who likes the way their mismatched IOM looks which is perfectly OK. Having people like you start telling legitimate owners they are imagining this out of a pre-conceived idea is simply being insensitive and shows a naivete about this issue.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:08 AM   #80
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
I think we need a new poll:

Who are you?

1). Stupid/dumb mismatched paint conspiracy theorists
2). Naive GM TSB bandwagoners

Then we can all play mortal combat to vent frustrations. I'm a bitch with Subzero so don't tempt me.
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:52 AM   #81
ssump29
LOL at most people here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
I think we need a new poll:

Who are you?

1). Stupid/dumb mismatched paint conspiracy theorists
2). Naive GM TSB bandwagoners

Then we can all play mortal combat to vent frustrations. I'm a bitch with Subzero so don't tempt me.
see your missing my point, I'm not a bandwagon hopper. I said GM did more of a disservice to themselves. I don't think they need to put this out. And to Superman I wasn't trying to discredit you. But a lot of problems are from people manifesting the problem even when one doesn't exist. I'm just saying if this was never mentioned and made such a big fuse over how many people do you think would be screaming all they see is mismatched paint?

Sometimes its not what you see but what you can't stop thinking about. Its the same reason people can't eat concern foods is because of the thought process not the actual quality. Like me I can't drink milk or eat hot-dogs because I know the process of those foods and can't stop thinking about it. If I would never knew that info my preference and preception would be different.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:15 AM   #82
Foster26

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM 6SP CGRS #9761
I know this has already been said but we are mixing two different issues. The original post was about the door and the fender, which I believe GM whole heartedly. Colors look different with different lighting and shade. This is obvious with the IOM. When in the sun, paint is an awesome vibrant orange with a beautiful shimmer. When in the shade, well someone said tomato soup and I fully agree. The fron fascia is something completely different. Paint is not matching due to different textures of surface, metal versus plastic AND the fact that there is an additive in the paint for plastic. I had mine redone by a professional body shop and it looks perfect now. Yes, they had to do some blending but I would much rather my paint match. I am no professional but I trust my eyes and I can see no sign of any paintwork on my car.
Foster26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:23 AM   #83
DDustiNN

Drives: Cars
They put out a bulletin regarding a paint mismatch between the door and the panel? That's the first I've heard of it. I thought the main problem everyone kept pointing out was between the front fascia and the front fender panel...?
DDustiNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:31 AM   #84
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
And maybe they should. Like I said...I've seen plenty of them, and if this was a serious issue, I would have noticed at least ONE car with a mismatched panels.

I fully believe this is 90% perception across the board. That is to say, that for every 100 cars produced, maybe 9 or ten of them actually have an issue. And the more somebody talks about it...the more "apparent" it becomes to others. I consider this bulletin to be nothing more than a placebo, frankly....