Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 08-24-2014, 05:41 PM   #71
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyApex View Post
First off, I am not trying to cause conflict but to share info. At my last track day on Monday, the cars with roll bars were in the minority, maybe only 20 out of 75 cars. Many others had harness bars and at least half of us were still using the stock belts. I personally try to stay within my car and personal abilities as I do not want to go off track and damage anything. I was graduated to the advanced run group and my main issue now is trying to stay in the seat with the increased cornering loads. I need to add some type of harness to hold me in place so I can concentrate on my steering inputs and not the death grip on the steering wheel. A roll bar is a big commitment in both money and impact to the street ability of my Camaro so a harness bar is the likely choice at this point. A cage is not for everyone, or even for many, who track their street driven cars. Even a 4 point roll bar is pretty hard core for a street car. Remember, this isn't a wheel to wheel race but a "high performance driving event" and should be approached with that in mind.

You need aftermarket seats with lateral support also, and for the record the Recaros don't help enough. I have a dent in my center column from using my knee before I changed seats!
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:01 AM   #72
SSSoon

Drives: RY 2011 2SS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNSONROD View Post
i thought the same thing, that the one that looks like a sports bra kinda didnt need a harness to work properly. since i ride right seat a lot, i wanted one of these. the guy at the pro shop at VIR said that you have to have shoulder harnesses to wear any kind of head and neck device.
The chief instructor at VIR (Bill Foster) told me that there are studies to show that wearing a HANS device with a 3-point harness is MORE DANGEROUS to your body than not wearing a HANS device with a 3-pointer.

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
SSSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:03 AM   #73
SSSoon

My build thread - Kirkeys + half cage

Long and painful, but pretty detailed:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282274

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:15 AM   #74
summit1le

Drives: 15 Lexus RCF, 17 Vette Grand Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSoon View Post
The chief instructor at VIR (Bill Foster) told me that there are studies to show that wearing a HANS device with a 3-point harness is MORE DANGEROUS to your body than not wearing a HANS device with a 3-pointer.
3 Point with Hans? Did you mean 6 Point with Hans?
2013 Summit 1SS 1LE w/NPP, SW 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers, CAI Intake, Ported TB, Cammotion 224/232 113 LSA, BTR Valvetrain, Melling Oil Pump, 468 HP 423, Apex Catch Can, Tank Plates, RPM 4 Point Roll Bar with SCCA/NASA Cross Brace, Schroth 6 Point Han's Harness, OMP WRC Front Seats, F.M.T Trailing Arms, F.M.T Solid Aluminum Subframe Bushings, Moreno Motorsports Camber Plates, BMR Bushings Front and Rear, Essex/AP Racing Radi-Cal Endurance Front Brakes, Quantum Brake Cooling Ducts, ZL1 Rockers, ZL1 Air Deflectors, Heritage Grill, Pfadt Springs.
summit1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:33 AM   #75
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by summit1le View Post
A 6 point harness with a HANS is very safe, provided you also have rollover protection (sturdy rollbar or roll cage).
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:51 AM   #76
summit1le

Drives: 15 Lexus RCF, 17 Vette Grand Sport
That is my setup. I sit pretty far back near the B Piller, however people on forums can make you crazy!! All of the talk about using a harness and hans without a roll bar. I do plan on adding a RPM Roll Bar, I am just gun shy because I like the thought of being able to remove my harness bar if I need to!
2013 Summit 1SS 1LE w/NPP, SW 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers, CAI Intake, Ported TB, Cammotion 224/232 113 LSA, BTR Valvetrain, Melling Oil Pump, 468 HP 423, Apex Catch Can, Tank Plates, RPM 4 Point Roll Bar with SCCA/NASA Cross Brace, Schroth 6 Point Han's Harness, OMP WRC Front Seats, F.M.T Trailing Arms, F.M.T Solid Aluminum Subframe Bushings, Moreno Motorsports Camber Plates, BMR Bushings Front and Rear, Essex/AP Racing Radi-Cal Endurance Front Brakes, Quantum Brake Cooling Ducts, ZL1 Rockers, ZL1 Air Deflectors, Heritage Grill, Pfadt Springs.
summit1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:17 PM   #77
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
I'll be using OEM seat, my Simpson Pro Sport HANS device, and 4-point anti-sub-marine belt from Scrotche. It's a bit of a Ghetto set-up, but is actually a good compromise in safety since that ASM belt acts like a regular 3-point seat belt during an accident, letting you comply with the available space left in the car during the accident, while keeping you pinned to the seat during the regular track driving.

If I end up having to do more (like race seats), it'll obviously open a can of worms...
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:10 PM   #78
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
I'll be using OEM seat, my Simpson Pro Sport HANS device, and 4-point anti-sub-marine belt from Scrotche. It's a bit of a Ghetto set-up, but is actually a good compromise in safety since that ASM belt acts like a regular 3-point seat belt during an accident, letting you comply with the available space left in the car during the accident, while keeping you pinned to the seat during the regular track driving.

If I end up having to do more (like race seats), it'll obviously open a can of worms...
any pics of the 4 point?
Old 08-26-2014, 04:01 PM   #79
SSSoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by summit1le View Post
No, let me say it again a different way: Wearing a HANS with a 3-pointer is more dangerous than riding without a HANS using a 3-point belt. Bill Foster's point was that you should not be wearing HANS devices if you are using OEM 3-point belts.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:13 PM   #80
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post

I had those belts when I was tracking my Mustang Cobra at the Streets of Willow. I had them mounted properly and they worked just fine. However, I was using them along with Cobra Daytona aftermarket seats. My concern is the latching mechanism and would it really hold together and not unlatch itself in a significant impact? I did not expect the Schrotch to work as well as a 5 or 6 point system attached to a separate anchoring bar or floor mount in a significant roll over or impact. It is in my opinion better than the stock shoulder and lap belt system. Having done what you are doing now in the late 90's, I now adhere to the rule of using aftermarket seats along with the 5-6 point harnesses mounted to a bar for the maximum proper protection.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:00 PM   #81
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
any pics of the 4 point?
I am yet to install it :( Bushings and coilovers will soon be done, and harness and brakes will follow!
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:38 AM   #82
hcsi99
Cadillac Service Manager

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS, 1LE, NPP, RECAROS
My Setup

I'm using the Speedware Motorsports harness bar, tank plates, and a Sparco 6 point harness. I do mostly autocross, and this set up works just fine for that. I do a few track days a year, and it has worked well for that too, but no roll over protection. The only down side to my set up is the 3 inch harness buckles will not pass back through the holes in the Recaro seats. The harness bar and tank plates are very well made and solid. I was able to score the tank plates used on ebay for $100 for the pair, but paid Speedware full price for their harness bar and harness.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:54 AM   #83
JOHNSONROD

Drives: 62 Chevy & 2021 1SS/1LE manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSoon View Post
No, let me say it again a different way: Wearing a HANS with a 3-pointer is more dangerous than riding without a HANS using a 3-point belt. Bill Foster's point was that you should not be wearing HANS devices if you are using OEM 3-point belts.
that makes since when you think about it. the oem belts dont have the snap of a harness in a wreck. that snap is what requires the neck protection. that sports bra one would kinda keep your spine straight so it could do more damage than good.
pete r u going to that rd atlanta for all three days? is that price normal? i was thinking that nasa was cheaper but i could be wrong. nasa puts on an awesome event at atlanta. im running the week before that one at BG.
JOHNSONROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:32 PM   #84
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcsi99 View Post
I'm using the Speedware Motorsports harness bar, tank plates, and a Sparco 6 point harness. I do mostly autocross, and this set up works just fine for that. I do a few track days a year, and it has worked well for that too, but no roll over protection. The only down side to my set up is the 3 inch harness buckles will not pass back through the holes in the Recaro seats. The harness bar and tank plates are very well made and solid. I was able to score the tank plates used on ebay for $100 for the pair, but paid Speedware full price for their harness bar and harness.

Do you have a picture of how you routed the submarine belts?
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote