Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-04-2009, 08:31 PM   #71
Tomato
G-Force Addict

Drives: 2010 SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epitaph View Post
Yeah GM!

Take AFM off & make us pay an extra $1,000+ instead of us not doing research and end up paying less than $10 to disable it!
Enlighten us.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:34 PM   #72
Kodiak Ak

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epitaph View Post
Yeah GM!

Take AFM off & make us pay an extra $1,000+ instead of us not doing research and end up paying less than $10 to disable it!
You say $10 to disable AFM....... How?

Kodiak Ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:16 AM   #73
Epitaph
Custom User Title

Drives: Fast
Take it to a tuner...that's what people with other vehicles with AFM have been doing.

Hell, buy an extra computer & a handheld programmer for under $1000 and you're still saving money (without them finding out).
Epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:24 AM   #74
erasedgod
CGM 2SS/RS

Drives: # 9641
Neither of those options costs less than $10...
Old 11-05-2009, 07:16 AM   #75
ZombieEatsYou

Drives: "Bmblbee" 2010 RY 2SS/RS. VIN 12043
predator at autoanything for 329.
ZombieEatsYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:18 AM   #76
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
It's quite simple really..
I think maybe that's what's getting me......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrunner View Post
So, I'm assuming your '08 Cobalt doesn't have it? Sorry for being a smart ass, but if you've never driven a Camaro with it, you just don't understand. I'd say my annoyance with it was solely due to my muffler delete, but for me it's not the sound, it's the vibration. When you're driving at relatively slow speed, say 40mph, and push on the throttle ever so slightly to maintain speed on a slight grade, those poor 4 cylinders make the whole car shudder trying to make 3,900+ lbs. overcome gravity....very annoying. For now I'm ok with the tap up-shift and the consistantly precise rev. matching downshifts, but doggone it I paid for an automatic and I'm sure in the future there will be times when I'll want to be lazy and just let the car do it for me, but......
Like others have said, if it didn't kick in 'til 55 it would probaly not be a problem.
I HAVE driven one, actually...and nearly every other GM vehicle equipped with the system (including a big-ass Silverado...)...and I have felt minor vibrations not unlike the A/C being turned on at idle...but that's not a big deal to me....I can understand and agree with the exhaust tone thing....which is why GM did their homework on the stock exhaust, but I can sympathize with everyone who has aftermarket mufflers, and are disappointed. Generally, however -- I tend to agree with the philosophy behind the system, and I have no problems with it.

These are just my opinions...nothing at all wrong with how you guys feel. I think I just find it a little over-the-top, that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFemme View Post
*...worries!*
Don't. As far as the stock system is concerned, it will only run at certain loads, temperatures AND for a certain amount of time. If you're on a 500 mile highway run, you will notice the AFM kicks off for a little bit now and again. This is to allow the engine to heat evenly, thus protecting it from everything Darin described.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:13 AM   #77
CamaroFemme

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
As far as the stock system is concerned, it will only run at certain loads, temperatures AND for a certain amount of time. If you're on a 500 mile highway run, you will notice the AFM kicks off for a little bit now and again. This is to allow the engine to heat evenly, thus protecting it from everything Darin described.
Whew.
CamaroFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:03 PM   #78
gjordon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS\RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
If you're on a 500 mile highway run, you will notice the AFM kicks off for a little bit now and again. This is to allow the engine to heat evenly, thus protecting it from everything Darin described.
We don't have that problem here in east Texas, the hills every couple miles takes care of the even heat problem, but then we get the constant AFM on.. AFM off..