Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 12-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #71
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Thanks for the heads-up. I thought I'd be safe with the 7201B revision. Maybe before I install these, I'll submerge them in a shallow pan of water (not enough to get to the circuitry) just to check for leaks before they're in the car.

There's a lot more that can definitely go wrong with these lights versus factory. An array of LEDs versus a simple one-bulb design of the originals. That's why i'm definitely not selling or trashing the old set. My plan B is to fit the old set with Oracle Afterburner 2.0 rings while they're out of the car, so I can use them in the future if needed. Then, try to get whatever refund I can for the Technostalgia lights, even if there's a restocking fee. :P
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #72
Jeremeymt

Drives: 2018 Hot Wheels 2LT
I'd say before you install them just put super glue around the entire seal. I will say tech nostalgia has never refused to fix them when I've sent them in for repair. I've kept mine because they are hands down the best sequential ones out there.
Jeremeymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #73
AnUnarmedMan

Drives: 2013 LS
Just get these installed by a professional. I had an issue and he just fixed them that day. I asked him how much it would cost out of pocket for him and he said they just call and technostalgia sends them a new one, no questions asked. These things are amazing. I don't have anyone riding my ass anymore, which is great because I bought them after some dumb lady rear ended me.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:41 PM   #74
RenegadeXR

Two months post installation. North Carolina just had its first real snow storm in years. The mixture of cold and moisture-rich air finally got to these, just when I thought I was safe.

Going to request an RMA. Not because of the fog — but because this light also has an issue with its internal wiring connection to the circuit board. It's barely connected and comes loose easily, so may as well replace it while it's out.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:49 PM   #75
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Did you ever check them for leaks before you installed them?
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:25 PM   #76
RenegadeXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Did you ever check them for leaks before you installed them?
I did a visual inspection but did not submerge them in a soap solution to look for air bubbles, like I should have. They appeared to have good sealant.

RMA involves sending the tail light back to the manufacturer first before a return is sent. So, rather than run with a mismatched tail lamp, I'm just going to do the repair myself and go over it with silicon based sealant.

On a side note: The hazing was easy to fix. I unscrewed the bulb socket connector from the back of the lamp without actually removing anything, and this let it breathe. It dried overnight and has been fine for 3 days of driving. Still, I need to seal this thing up.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:35 PM   #77
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
I did a visual inspection but did not submerge them in a soap solution to look for air bubbles, like I should have. They appeared to have good sealant.

RMA involves sending the tail light back to the manufacturer first before a return is sent. So, rather than run with a mismatched tail lamp, I'm just going to do the repair myself and go over it with silicon based sealant.

On a side note: The hazing was easy to fix. I unscrewed the bulb socket connector from the back of the lamp without actually removing anything, and this let it breathe. It dried overnight and has been fine for 3 days of driving. Still, I need to seal this thing up.
Thnaks for the followup. Glad to hear it's working again after drying out. I thought the condensation issue was a thing of the past with the new version, appears not. Disappointing to hear. Good luck.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:43 AM   #78
3rdgensc

Drives: 88 Camaro Sport Coupe
Send a message via Yahoo to 3rdgensc
Got these and love them, easy plug and play. all you do is replace the bulb no cutting them open and on a C5 sponsors page http://ohio-speed.com/p-6826-3157-le...plug-play.aspx
3rdgensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:21 PM   #79
RenegadeXR

So 3 full months have sealing the tail light up with some silicate gel and it's holding up fine. There's also a rubber gasket in the middle of the tail lamp. If you take out the screws in the lamp housing, this gasket reveals a break in the plastic enclosure so you cans service the circuitry. It turns out for this light, the rubber was ever so slightly misaligned with the lip of the two halves of the outer housing. Here's a drawing:

Once I fixed this, it's been air tight.

On an unrelated side note: I decided to keep my car in drive with the e-brake on to see what these lights look like when I'm driving. They seem to be totally off. I wasn't sure if the afterburner LED strip was supposed to stay on — I think it's tied to the rear side marker circuit, so maybe not unless I messed with my side marker wiring.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:38 PM   #80
chenzo

Drives: 2011 Camaro ss rs
Cool 2011 Camaro Tail lights keep flickering

Hi has anyone had this problem were the back tail lights keep flickering on & off. This happened after my battery went flat? Please help!
chenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:29 PM   #81
elarson5757
Obsessed and Loving It...

Drives: 2013 1LE-SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenzo View Post
Hi has anyone had this problem were the back tail lights keep flickering on & off. This happened after my battery went flat? Please help!
Yep. With low battery voltage the lights to nuts until the battery is dead or charged/replaced. These lights (at least until the latest version) are also known to cause battery discharge over a period of weeks if the car isn't driven regularly.
elarson5757 is offline   Reply With Quote