Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 03-23-2010, 04:04 PM   #71
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
Clever! I look forward to the outcome.
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:51 PM   #72
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
Any updates BUMBLEB?
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:44 PM   #73
BUMBLEB
IN GOD WE THRUST

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS RS M6 TVS2300 2015 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert91RS View Post
Any updates BUMBLEB?
If the weather is good friday i will drive to my shop and do it
Old 03-26-2010, 09:20 AM   #74
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
I can tell you my gear whine was NOT b/c of a bad set up. thats all I can say right now. I will have an update for everyone as soon as I have one...
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:53 AM   #75
mtcwby
High on "The Camaro Life"

Drives: 2010 2SS, IOM, LS3, Vortech, LG cam
Send a message via AIM to mtcwby
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
I can tell you my gear whine was NOT b/c of a bad set up. thats all I can say right now. I will have an update for everyone as soon as I have one...
Richmond gears are just notorious for whine. Doesn't matter whether they are set up correctly or not, they just are noisy, always have been.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:12 AM   #76
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
We have been working with the ZETA chassis years before it was released in the USA as the G8 and then ZETA II as the Camaro. The reason you see all the voids in the OEM bush material is to prevent various road and mechanical noises from reaching the cabin. One of the goals for the new Camaro was to make the cabin as quiet as foreign competitors. If memory serves me correctly GM used the phrase library quiet. Quiet is a measure of quality by many buyers.

Whenever you change an OEM bush to a harder material there is going to be an increase in NVH. Anyone that tells you it won't has hearing issues or worse. Harder is generally considered better by the performance crowd. That is another myth. Think about a Formula 1 car. It weighs in at roughly 1,500 and has roughly twice the rubber of a Camaro. If your Camaro suspension were are tight, as hard as an F 1 car it would not handle better. It would be grossly over sprung, over damped, over heating tires turning them into grease balls making your car slower with each lap. Our Camaros are very fast street cars. They are not race cars. They are too heavy and the wheel well capacity is insufficient to put enough rubber on the ground to be a race car as defined by F1 standards. Working within the constrictions of weight and tire foot print we find that softer is faster. The serendipitous coincidence is that ofter is also quite and more comfortable.

For the Camaro, Pedders has two styles of differential bushes. One has a series of voids and is a softer dura. The other is solid and of a higher dura. The EP1167 is the bush with void technology (holes). The EP1167HD is harder and has no holes. Both will pass higher than OEM noise into the cabin, although the EP1167 is close to OEM NVH -- we'll call it 85%. Both will out perform the OEM bush.

Pedders happens to own the fastest G8 around around course. It ran dead heats with the fastest SCCA T1 Vette lap time at the NJMP last year around this time with Chris Brannon behind the wheel. Keep in mind, this is my daily driver family car on street tires, so we know a little bit about the OEM bushes in both the Camaro and G8. The steel jacketed bushes in the Camaro are actually stronger than the G8 version. IMO that would not be an upgrade. With the loads placed on the differential bushes, insert can be problematic. We experimented with something like that as a Band-Aid while we developed our G8 differential bushes. It wasn't pretty. LOL

Please keep in mind that a bone stock Camaro blistered the Nurburing -- bone stock suspension. I make suspension parts for a living. I am an enthusiast addict just like many of you. My cars are built like race cars, but are my daily drivers. More suspension, more brakes, more RWHP, more to me is better. Our Camaros are great cars from the factory. Coilovers, radius and sub-frame inserts and maybe bars produce a car that is more competent than most drivers on the road. Would I dial down my car... nope more is better, but a little bit noisier.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:38 PM   #77
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcwby View Post
Richmond gears are just notorious for whine. Doesn't matter whether they are set up correctly or not, they just are noisy, always have been.
OK, I agree that is been said to be true...
Old 03-26-2010, 07:18 PM   #78
acowherd

Drives: 2010 2ss/RS 4l80. 2009 2500 HD
I Have the bushings, stock rear end and so far no whine. I am going to put some miles on the car tonight. So we will see what we have in the morning.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/FNSS-...75028626000379

FNSS Racing!
acowherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:04 PM   #79
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

I am guessing you wont have any whine there acowherd!
Old 03-29-2010, 06:46 PM   #80
acowherd

Drives: 2010 2ss/RS 4l80. 2009 2500 HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
I am guessing you wont have any whine there acowherd!
You sir are correct, no gear noise with the bushing install on my car. Although I do love the sweet sound of them cut-outs

https://www.facebook.com/pages/FNSS-...75028626000379

FNSS Racing!
acowherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:12 PM   #81
BUMBLEB
IN GOD WE THRUST

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS RS M6 TVS2300 2015 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
We have been working with the ZETA chassis years before it was released in the USA as the G8 and then ZETA II as the Camaro. The reason you see all the voids in the OEM bush material is to prevent various road and mechanical noises from reaching the cabin. One of the goals for the new Camaro was to make the cabin as quiet as foreign competitors. If memory serves me correctly GM used the phrase library quiet. Quiet is a measure of quality by many buyers.

Whenever you change an OEM bush to a harder material there is going to be an increase in NVH. Anyone that tells you it won't has hearing issues or worse. Harder is generally considered better by the performance crowd. That is another myth. Think about a Formula 1 car. It weighs in at roughly 1,500 and has roughly twice the rubber of a Camaro. If your Camaro suspension were are tight, as hard as an F 1 car it would not handle better. It would be grossly over sprung, over damped, over heating tires turning them into grease balls making your car slower with each lap. Our Camaros are very fast street cars. They are not race cars. They are too heavy and the wheel well capacity is insufficient to put enough rubber on the ground to be a race car as defined by F1 standards. Working within the constrictions of weight and tire foot print we find that softer is faster. The serendipitous coincidence is that ofter is also quite and more comfortable.

For the Camaro, Pedders has two styles of differential bushes. One has a series of voids and is a softer dura. The other is solid and of a higher dura. The EP1167 is the bush with void technology (holes). The EP1167HD is harder and has no holes. Both will pass higher than OEM noise into the cabin, although the EP1167 is close to OEM NVH -- we'll call it 85%. Both will out perform the OEM bush.

Pedders happens to own the fastest G8 around around course. It ran dead heats with the fastest SCCA T1 Vette lap time at the NJMP last year around this time with Chris Brannon behind the wheel. Keep in mind, this is my daily driver family car on street tires, so we know a little bit about the OEM bushes in both the Camaro and G8. The steel jacketed bushes in the Camaro are actually stronger than the G8 version. IMO that would not be an upgrade. With the loads placed on the differential bushes, insert can be problematic. We experimented with something like that as a Band-Aid while we developed our G8 differential bushes. It wasn't pretty. LOL

Please keep in mind that a bone stock Camaro blistered the Nurburing -- bone stock suspension. I make suspension parts for a living. I am an enthusiast addict just like many of you. My cars are built like race cars, but are my daily drivers. More suspension, more brakes, more RWHP, more to me is better. Our Camaros are great cars from the factory. Coilovers, radius and sub-frame inserts and maybe bars produce a car that is more competent than most drivers on the road. Would I dial down my car... nope more is better, but a little bit noisier.
Well I was convinced by pete at pedders Via a very nice phone conversation, to go with their softer bushings # EP1167 No more
whining I am so happy I installed the bushings today, they are greatHere is the one I used.
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2010, 10:15 PM   #82
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUMBLEB View Post
Well I was convinced by pete at pedders Via a very nice phone conversation, to go with their softer bushings # EP1167 No more
whining I am so happy I installed the bushings today, they are greatHere is the one I used.
Glad to HEAR you are satisfied.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:23 PM   #83
RichJ.
Shop Owner

Drives: 1 ton silverado
That's a great response. We are glad you are satisfied with the Pedders EP1167's. Your experience is the reason we prefer to talk with our client and find out what they want and expect from there Camaro before we recommend what modifications are best.
RichJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:07 PM   #84
HJ's Garage

Drives: Black on Black 2SS RS A6
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUMBLEB View Post
I understand what you are saying,But I can think of several people that are running the pfadt bushings and no noise.I thought about going back to the stock more insulated bushings and trying to stiffen them up by putting round pieces of nylon rod in the gaps,but I tossed the bushings and gm says they are not sold seperatly from the rear diff.

Phadt has "TWO" Bushings. One is part number PFA 1410105 which is the "Street Bushing". They also have part number PFA 1410122, which is their "Racing Bushing" which is very hard and not recommended on the street.

Which one do you have? I found a lot of folks don't know that they carry two, and their website doesn't do a good job of getting you there, but you can check with Apex as I just ordered the 105 "Street Bushings" and they do carry both.

I would sure like to know which ones you have before I install mine. Hope this helps.
HJ's Garage is offline   Reply With Quote