Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 10-18-2007, 09:57 AM   #85
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
one more reason

I prefer to hope there is no b-pillar due to this photo. it looks like there is no b-pillar on the passenger side if nothing was photoshopped. therefore i state the following:

1) it would completely speed up the design for the convertible with no b-pillar.

2) the camaro would have a leg-up on ALL the pony cars if it's the only one with no b-pillar.

I am not convinced about the "it will add too much weight" excuse. where there is a will, there's a way. Do something right the first time, or don't bother doing anything.

Last edited by 2001ragtop; 10-18-2007 at 10:07 AM.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:00 AM   #86
OverAnxious

Drives: 1967 RS/SS L78 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to OverAnxious Send a message via Yahoo to OverAnxious
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001ragtop View Post
I prefer to hope there is no b-pillar due to this photo. it looks like there is no b-pillar on the passenger side if nothing was photoshopped. therefore i state the following reasons to have this belief:

1) it would completely speed up the design for the convertible (back window issue resolved in advance).

2) the camaro would have a leg-up on ALL the pony cars if it's the only one with no b-pillar. it would even SIGNIFICANTLY help sell plenty of V6 cars, having an edge over V6 mustangs. it would make everyone else's pony car look boring. they could wait till it's TOO LATE for anyone to copy this. And it would IGNITE the camaro customers to find out later about this. Right ? Until I see another spy pic, I am sticking to this belief.
There will be a B-Pillar
The engineering/design is all set on the Convertible,
How does the lack of a B-Pillar significantly sell more V6 cars?
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:52 AM   #87
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
I prefer to hope there is no b-pillar due to this photo. it looks like there is no b-pillar on the passenger side if nothing was photoshopped. therefore i state the following:

1) it would completely speed up the design for the convertible with no b-pillar.

2) the camaro would have a leg-up on ALL the pony cars if it's the only one with no b-pillar.

I am not convinced about the "it will add too much weight" excuse. where there is a will, there's a way. Do something right the first time, or don't bother doing anything.
The Convertible was designed side-by-side the coupe. It wasn't an afterthought. The B-pillar...that's the "afterthought".

leg-up...maybe in design - no. Only in design. The B-pillar will help to ensure a 5-star crash rating all around. If GM were to try to attain this without a B-pillar. There would need to be substantial re-enforcement of the roof itself (taking away from the low center of gravity, and adding to wieght) and of the C-pillar, also adding to wieght. It's all to achive a 5-star comprehensive crash rating. That's the only reason the B-pillar is being added.

You can believe what you want...nobody can tell you to do otherwise. But when Bob Lutz releases info that there will in fact be a B-pillar. And then Scott confirms it (not that we doubted Mr. Lutz)...I'm pretty sure there's gonna be a B-pillar.

As for the photo. I highly doubt anyone would have photoshopped out the B-pillar. there is the chance, yes...but why go through that trouble when you've already announced it will be there? I'm convinced it's just a lucky shot. Posed perfectly, by accident or not...to keep us asking.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:26 AM   #88
theonlyoneleft

Drives: 1995 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to theonlyoneleft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
btw...I was gonna use an acronym for your name...but it turned out to be TOOL...so I didn't.:eek:
Haha I've never realized that
theonlyoneleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:18 PM   #89
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAnxious View Post
How does the lack of a B-Pillar significantly sell more V6 cars?
the people who buy V6 models, don't care about engine displacement/racing/speeding/0-60.

Some people just buy a car for looks. (the way most people get married/then predictably divorced).

These car buyers might think it is cool that all (4) windows roll down and use that to sway them to get the camaro, instead of a mustang.

That is all I meant.
I agree you can't ask for everything. Adios
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:12 PM   #90
OverAnxious

Quote:
the people who buy V6 models, don't care about engine displacement/racing/speeding/0-60.

Some people just buy a car for looks. (the way most people get married/then predictably divorced).

These car buyers might think it is cool that all (4) windows roll down and use that to sway them to get the camaro, instead of a mustang.

That is all I meant.
I agree you can't ask for everything. Adios
Honestly I'd be suprised if the B-Pillar thing swayed v6 buyers at all. That will continue to be the bulk of the sales for the Camaro regardless

I do not think the rear window will roll down on the new car, it iwll be much cheaper to build keeping it stationary as well as help keep weight down.

I can't wait to see more production pics
Old 10-18-2007, 02:32 PM   #91
SSRich

Drives: 1967 camaroSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAnxious View Post
Honestly I'd be suprised if the B-Pillar thing swayed v6 buyers at all. That will continue to be the bulk of the sales for the Camaro regardless

I do not think the rear window will roll down on the new car, it iwll be much cheaper to build keeping it stationary as well as help keep weight down.

I can't wait to see more production pics
that is something that dont make since to me the Cobalt coupe and Sedan are the same exact price but u know extra hinges and window motor and a bigger glass i mean why isnt the coupe cheaper?
SSRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:50 PM   #92
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
They probably offset the price by raising the price of the coupe...

(these aren't real numbers)
but say the building cost of the Sedan is 18,000. and the building price of the coupe was 16000.

Lower, and raise - respectively - the prices a bit: 17,000 all around. you're still getting that 2k just in different places.

Either that, or...
You've got a big opening in the side of a vehicle. You need to fill it with something. So you have two door sets, and a rear quarter panel to choose from. Either way you swing it, the cost to put some kind of a door in there, should be about the same.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:30 PM   #93
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRich View Post
that is something that dont make since to me the Cobalt coupe and Sedan are the same exact price but u know extra hinges and window motor and a bigger glass i mean why isnt the coupe cheaper?
My guess is the coupe needs sturdier hinges for the heavier door, better window mechanisms for the larger window, and mechanisms to drop the front seats forward to allow rear access. Just guessing though.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 01:51 AM   #94
GreySteele06

Drives: A pair of tan boots-back in09
First: Long time reader, First time poster. Finnaly decided to stop being the voyer and get in on the discussions.

Second: My Views/Thoughts:

If that shiny thing is the door lock... It seams oddly forward as i don't see the B Pillar. That being said if they say there is one, I believe it. It is much (easier isn't the right word so we'll say...) "smarter" (ie better engineering) to have that structural support and then camouflage it. Unfortunately we lose that "cool roll the windows down the whole way back" look.

Next the rear lip spoilers absence is not of big concern. It is most likely not a part of the trunk sheet metal, just a glue on that if you would leave off if your going to cover it with a bra. Its then easier to fit the bra. :-)

Lastly this photo is disappointing to me. I'm not all over the side mirrors albeit they are probably a heck of alot more functional than the concept.
You cant see the roof line and C pillar that show off the silhouette that just makes the camaro pop. I really want to see the concept hood throughout all models of the new camaro. I do like the fuel port up on the quarter panel but it will be annoying if you keep dripping gas on the paint. Hopefully this is a deliberate photo to hide the goodies from us. We'll have to wait and see.

Final thought: wouldn't it be great if they meant first quarter "fiscal year" 2009(ie OCT '08). Probably not as that is the projected start of production. But a boy can hope right?

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
-George Orwell
GreySteele06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 01:55 AM   #95
GreySteele06

Drives: A pair of tan boots-back in09
Hopefully the Camaro makes some money for GM. Maybe we should pitch in a buy the company a camera with a resolution better than 0.1 MP.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
-George Orwell
GreySteele06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 01:59 AM   #96
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreySteele06 View Post
Hopefully the Camaro makes some money for GM. Maybe we should pitch in a buy the company a camera with a resolution better than 0.1 MP.
AMEN to that!^
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:52 AM   #97
OverAnxious

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreySteele06 View Post

I would bet money it is no accident the picture they released was such poor quality
Old 10-19-2007, 04:13 PM   #98
Mungo

Drives: trans am
Is it me or is the roof depression missing from the mule? You know that small recessed section that is on the concept. Take a look at the picture in dragoneyes #92 post to see it.
Mungo is offline   Reply With Quote