Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-18-2009, 11:32 AM   #85
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssump29 View Post
see your missing my point, I'm not a bandwagon hopper. I said GM did more of a disservice to themselves. I don't think they need to put this out. And to Superman I wasn't trying to discredit you. But a lot of problems are from people manifesting the problem even when one doesn't exist. I'm just saying if this was never mentioned and made such a big fuse over how many people do you think would be screaming all they see is mismatched paint?

Sometimes its not what you see but what you can't stop thinking about. Its the same reason people can't eat concern foods is because of the thought process not the actual quality. Like me I can't drink milk or eat hot-dogs because I know the process of those foods and can't stop thinking about it. If I would never knew that info my preference and preception would be different.
Every big car company making thousands of a single product that requires paint will run into problems with their products either starting at the factory or in the transportation process getting them to the dealers. Acknowledging there is a problem in the first place if there is one is the first step. Rail dust, hail, and large imperfections underneath the paint causing noticeable bumps are one thing and will happen in small quantities no matter what precautions are in place. However this issue with the mismatched paint on the bumpers has been argued since day 1. The first reason being the bumpers are painted in a separate location than the factory. THe problems arise since the mixture of the paint has to be perfect, and because its metallic requires the paint to applied at a correct angle and pressure so the chips are applied in the right direction. As for solid colors like Rally Yellow, these issues do not exist however the paint still has to be the correct consistency. GM has come out via this forum in different ways to tell us all of this I re-iterate above. Even Scott Fbodfather has said there have been issues with fascia not matching and they were working with the supplier to get them perfect (along time ago). I don't know where these posts are but I do remember reading them. There have been quite a few folks who have had their fascia's re-painted with excellent results by the dealer. There have been before and after pictures of those cars as well. I know that lighting and the sun hitting the IOM's do create color variations based on angles and so forth. However one flat surface to another which is where the hood meets the front fascia should not be obviously different at the same angles. Mine is just slightly off but not enough for me to go crazy over and ask for a repaint. I for one see the error as mine being a little unique. However I am not going to judge those who do see it as wrong and demand a fix. Those who have this issue are not thinking about the issue because of a perception created from this forum. I would like to know who are you talking about when you make this assumption of? Is it someone you know that has this issue and you and him/her are at a disagreement over a mismatch? I just don't see where you are coming up with this analysis without a base of reference? And yes I have a base of reference having seen dozens of Camaro's with the same issue, some worse than others.. And again mine is not bad at all, just very slightly off... I'll take a picture of the mirrors though since those are way off..
Old 09-18-2009, 11:46 AM   #86
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I fully believe this is 90% perception across the board.
I tend to give people the benefit of doubt and believe they can think for themselves and decide whether or not they percieve a mismatch. Why would a buyer want to fabricate a problem with their beloved Camaro?

Perception or not, I want a paintjob that I perceive as matched and i'm damn sure entitled to that when I buy a car.
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:47 AM   #87
rico-2SS
Thx TZD.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged Custom Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssump29 View Post
Like others have said I believe its in the eye of the beholder. I bet I could look at your car and see something different then what you are seeing. I think if people didn't have this in their head before getting their cars they wouldn't even notice the different color reflecting.

Now I haven't seen you car and can only go on what you have said, but I bet you were looking for a problem long before you ever took delivery. If its not as bad as others you say you have seen, it could be that you don't have a problem period you just can't get over your thinking.
I can agree that it is in the eye of the beholder - I know we are both dealing with earlier issue IOM ssump but I just want to add the following

I noticed right away the color differences in my fascia...is it a mismatch?????? My dealer chaulked it up to different materials being painted???? maybe.
Does it bother me?????? not as much now - but it did....do I see it twice a week everytime I wash it....YES

Would I like it closer???? yes - but I will not threaten to get rid of car or bash GM. I still love the car.

If it was infact an early issue with some of the cars for reasons stated in the thread. (supplier issue) GM knows what cars those are and could recall those to fix them if they so choose to. What would that involve beside $$$$$??? I have no idea. If GM was getting painted parts from the suppliers and they knew they were not the right painted partsthey know the cars affected. and then maybe step to the plate and contact those owners to see if they want it taken care of. If that was infact the case.

I think the majority on the site pay attention to the details of their cars no matter what they drive. That is why it is under a microscope in my opinion...MG..this is a site dedicated to a paticular make and model. Do some want to bash it or GM? Sure but there will always be those types no matter what car it is for what ever reason they choose.

Last edited by rico-2SS; 09-18-2009 at 12:16 PM.
rico-2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:49 AM   #88
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Why would a buyer want to fabricate a problem with their beloved Camaro?
Same reason we create a crisis over a scratchy, pre-production picture of non-production headlights...we, as a people, LIKE problems and conspiracy...it's our nature. :(
Old 09-18-2009, 11:51 AM   #89
Speedfreak

Drives: 1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
4th gens were the same way, especially pewter metalic
Old 09-18-2009, 11:53 AM   #90
snizzle
Recalled user

Quote:
Same reason we create a crisis over a scratchy, pre-production picture of non-production headlights...we, as a people, LIKE problems and conspiracy...it's our nature. :(
That's a blanket statement. I for one want my Camaro to be perfect down to the last detail.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:54 AM   #91
Supermans

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDustiNN View Post
They put out a bulletin regarding a paint mismatch between the door and the panel? That's the first I've heard of it. I thought the main problem everyone kept pointing out was between the front fascia and the front fender panel...?
That's the first I've heard of a paint mismatch between the door and panel as well. Like I said in an above post, this will be used by the dealers to discredit all mismatch complaints including the "real ones" that do exist..
Old 09-18-2009, 11:56 AM   #92
snizzle
Recalled user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak View Post
4th gens were the same way, especially pewter metalic
Btw, I have a huge man crush on your car.... I've loved that anniversary model since day 1.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:59 AM   #93
Supermans

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico-2SS View Post
I can agree that it is in the eye of the beholder - I know we are both dealing with earlier issue IOM ssump but I just want to add the following

I noticed right away the color differences in my fascia...is it a mismatch?????? My dealer chaulked it up to different materials being painted???? maybe.
Does it bother me?????? not as much now - but it did....do I see it twice a week everytime I wash it....YES

Would I like it closer???? yes - but I will not threaten to get rid of car or bash GM. I still love the car.

If it was infact an early issue with some of the cars for reasons stated in the thread. (supplier issue) GM knows what cars those are and could recall those to fix them if they so choose to. What would that involve beside $$$$$??? I have no idea. If GM was getting painted parts from the suppliers and they knew they were not the right painted parts then they know the cars affected and should Maybe step to the plate and contact those owners to see if they want it taken care of. If that was infact the case.

I think the majority on the site pay attention to the details of there cars no matter what they drive. That is why it is under a microscope in my opinion...MG..this is a site dedicated to a paticular make and model. Do some want to bash it or GM? Sure but there will always be those types no matter what car it is for what ever reason they choose.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:03 PM   #94
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
That's a blanket statement.
Yes it is. And this bulletin addresses a blanket concern: Camaro's body panels aren't paint-matched.

Again, I'm not trying to be an ass and a naive little "fanboy"...but this issue is far less common than forum discussion would make it seem. And that's why this bulletin was put out.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:04 PM   #95
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rico-2SS View Post

If it was infact an early issue with some of the cars for reasons stated in the thread. (supplier issue) GM knows what cars those are and could recall those to fix them if they so choose to. What would that involve beside $$$$$??? I have no idea. If GM was getting painted parts from the suppliers and they knew they were not the right painted parts then they know the cars affected and should Maybe step to the plate and contact those owners to see if they want it taken care of. If that was infact the case.

I think the majority on the site pay attention to the details of there cars no matter what they drive. That is why it is under a microscope in my opinion...MG..this is a site dedicated to a paticular make and model. Do some want to bash it or GM? Sure but there will always be those types no matter what car it is for what ever reason they choose.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:05 PM   #96
Supermans

Quote:
Yes it is. And this bulletin addresses a blanket concern: Camaro's body panels aren't paint-matched.

Again, I'm not trying to be an ass and a naive little "fanboy"...but this issue is far less common than forum discussion would make it seem. And that's why this bulletin was put out.
Don't worry, we all still love ya I just know this will be used by dealers for every paint mismatched issue, not just the one area it addresses.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:07 PM   #97
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
....And this bulletin addresses a blanket concern: Camaro's body panels aren't paint-matched.
Small clarification - front & rear fascias, gas filler cap, and roof rails are paint matched by the supplier 50 miles away from the plant.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:08 PM   #98
snizzle
Recalled user

Quote:
Agreed, this forum is a microcosm of the real world. However, i'd like to suggest that the contributors here tend to go over their cars with a fine-toothed comb and therefore are more sensitive to imperfections paint or otherwise.